proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #10253
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Which dealership?
BMW San Antonio, largest dealer in Texas. Couple of them are incoming. They have one in Lambo Verde Mantis Green. One of my local dealers has a M4 incoming that is available.
Ok, so there's nuance. They don't truly have that many vehicles available on the lot. They have the M4, which is the Verde Mantis Green car you mentioned. That car, much like the Urban Green M3 and Mint Green M4 at Riverside BMW, are colors designed for a specific buyer and would be hard(er) to move regardless of car. Per San Antonio BMW, the only one in transit that is unsold is a Skyscraper Gray M4 (…but I imagine that will sell promptly once it hits the dealership). It will be there sometime next month, so it's not readily available right now. The salesman Edgar said the last batch of G8X's they received were sold within days. They do have a few allocations however.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4257.00
      07-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #10254
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
BMW San Antonio, largest dealer in Texas. Couple of them are incoming. They have one in Lambo Verde Mantis Green. One of my local dealers has a M4 incoming that is available.
4 out of 5 cars on the site are either not there or already sold. The one car, the Verde Mantis G82, just arrived and probably won't be there 2 weeks from now.

They had an Indianapolis Red M3 2 weeks ago that sold pretty quickly.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1842037
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24973.00
      07-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #10255
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
Quote:
4 out of 5 cars on the site are either not there or already sold. The one car, the Verde Mantis G82, just arrived and probably won't be there 2 weeks from now.

They had an Indianapolis Red M3 a week ago that sold pretty quickly.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1842037
Agreed! See my post above yours.
Appreciate 1
02M3ForMe4257.00
      07-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #10256
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Ok, so there's nuance. They don't truly have that many vehicles available on the lot. They have the M4, which is the Verde Mantis Green car you mentioned. That car, much like the Urban Green M3 and Mint Green M4 at Riverside BMW, are colors designed for a specific buyer and would be hard(er) to move regardless of car. Per San Antonio BMW, the only one in transit that is unsold is a Skyscraper Gray M4. It will be there sometime next month, so it's not readily available right now. The salesman Edgar said the last batch of G8X's they received were sold within days. They do have a few allocations however.
One of buddies from local bmwcca has been in contact with numerous dealers in SA, Houston, Dallas. They have the odd car available(like the verde matis) and cars coming that are available to purchase. Allocations are available right now from multiple dealers. He hasn't pulled the trigger because he is use to getting 8-10% off no questions asked. This car market makes it hard to negotiate.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #10257
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, so there's nuance. They don't truly have that many vehicles available on the lot. They have the M4, which is the Verde Mantis Green car you mentioned. That car, much like the Urban Green M3 and Mint Green M4 at Riverside BMW, are colors designed for a specific buyer and would be hard(er) to move regardless of car. Per San Antonio BMW, the only one in transit that is unsold is a Skyscraper Gray M4. It will be there sometime next month, so it's not readily available right now. The salesman Edgar said the last batch of G8X's they received were sold within days. They do have a few allocations however.
One of buddies from local bmwcca has been in contact with numerous dealers in SA, Houston, Dallas. They have the odd car available(like the verde matis) and cars coming that are available to purchase. Allocations are available right now from multiple dealers. He hasn't pulled the trigger because he is use to getting 8-10% off no questions asked. This car market makes it hard to negotiate.
I get that, but the odd car and allocations that come and go pretty quickly (..San Antonio BMW has only had allocations available since late last week) is a far cry from the assertion that the cars aren't hard to find.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #10258
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
The GSM said he isn't told any reason, until Porsche outright tells them why. So, they are in the dark as much as the buyers themselves. Which I knew about.

I do not know if this is the case for other brands either, if they gotten past the shortage but slimmed the number of cars they build just as a precaution or due to other reasons like shipping or what not. Because, the world economy has a lot more issues right now than just semiconductor shortage.
I don't think inventory shortages are solely due to just semiconductors, but auto parts in general. I know even car repairs are becoming an issue, they are stacking up at dealerships. Some parts taking weeks to arrive instead of days to show up.

Question is, when do these inventory issues start to show up in the sales numbers...Q3? Right now sales are trending with previous covid 2020, but if you look at dealer lots there isn't any vehicles left.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24973.00
minn1914012.00
      07-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #10259
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

Ok, so there's nuance.

[1] They don't truly have that many vehicles available on the lot. ...

[bbuuuuutttt....]

[2] They do have a few allocations however.
Exactly! This is the credited summary of G8x availability:
Not many on the lot, but allocations & deals available.

Given the current market (and supply chain challenges) & how available allocations are, we can compare to previous platform releases and their respective markets and allocation availability ... and come to our own conclusions.

Given the datapoints we have (ATP data, availability, sightings, BMW's design stoppage), it seems highly probable there's no way the beaver teeth make it through LCI undiminshed, and certainly not to any other vehicle.

If true, whether we call that success or failure, hopefully we can all agree it's a victory for the future of cars.

Last edited by GrussGott; 07-27-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #10260
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The GSM said he isn't told any reason, until Porsche outright tells them why. So, they are in the dark as much as the buyers themselves. Which I knew about.

I do not know if this is the case for other brands either, if they gotten past the shortage but slimmed the number of cars they build just as a precaution or due to other reasons like shipping or what not. Because, the world economy has a lot more issues right now than just semiconductor shortage.
I don't think inventory shortages are solely due to just semiconductors, but auto parts in general. I know even car repairs are becoming an issue, they are stacking up at dealerships. Some parts taking weeks to arrive instead of days to show up.

Question is, when do these inventory issues start to show up in the sales numbers...Q3? Right now sales are trending with previous covid 2020, but if you look at dealer lots there isn't any vehicles left.
Excellent question/observation. I was pondering the very same thing last week. I think the answer might be this….

…in a normal world, sales occur and inventory can remain on lots for a long period of time, prompting great deals/sales on vehicles. In the current world, the cars no longer sit on lots unless they are largely undesirable (…be it the actual model or the configuration of the car), so there's no huge inventory. The overall sales numbers remain the same, but dealership inventory doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #10261
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:

Q3 definitely. Audi and Mercedes got hit Q2 but BMW was smart and stockpiled chips earlier which helped them out in Q2, although now they're pretty much gonna feel the effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomberg
The company is doing a better job of managing its hoard of semiconductors, which are needed to power everything from radios to braking systems, and that's helping it keep up with dealer orders better than some of its luxury rivals, said Marc Cohen, vice president of Priority 1 Automotive Group in Towson, Maryland. His company owns multiple BMW stores as well as Jaguar Land Rover, Audi, Porsche, Mini, Cadillac and Acura dealerships.

"Even though production is limited or lower, it's not coming to a halt like some of these other brands," Cohen said. With inventory limited, cars being delivered now were ordered by customers two months ago, he said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ccess-to-chips
Sedan_Clan24973.00
minn1914012.00
GrussGott18116.50
GERMAN M34181.00
      07-27-2021, 03:16 PM   #10262
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

Ok, so there's nuance.

[1] They don't truly have that many vehicles available on the lot. ...

[bbuuuuutttt....]

[2] They do have a few allocations however.
Exactly! This is the credited summary of G8x availability:
Not many on the lot, but allocations & deals available.

No, you disregard the specificity/nuance, but you're one that will never give the G8X credit for how it may be appealing to others……thus selling well because of that appeal. It's one of those lines in the sand that won't be crossed regardless and the discussion about the car is circular for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:26 PM   #10263
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
No, you disregard the specificity/nuance, but you're one that will never give the G8X credit for how it may be appealing to others……thus selling well because of that appeal. It's one of those lines in the sand that won't be crossed regardless and the discussion about the car is circular for that reason.
You're the one that won't let go of trying to push the narrative that the G8x is selling like hotcakes because of it's appeal. First, it was they were all selling above MSRP, then no allocations were available and now, there's no actual desirable colors in stock. Just go join the G8x fanboys in their section.
Appreciate 1
dms-011131.00
      07-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #10264
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Quote:
You're the one that won't let go of trying to push the narrative that the G8x is selling like hotcakes because of it's appeal. First, it was they were all selling above MSRP, then no allocations were available and now, there's no actual desirable colors in stock. Just go join the G8x fanboys in their section.
So what you're saying is….

…one narrative can be presented, but an alternative narrative can't be presented?! The fact is in my area the car does sell above MSRP more often than not AND allocations are hard to come by. It may not sit well with you that the situation suggests that some people like the car, but that's the truth. Why do I have to be a fanboy simply because I try to objective about the car? Why are you unable to have a mature discussion without resorting to antagonist name calling? Me and some of the fellas here don't always agree on things, but at least we remain mature and civil. You're the outlier here.

P.S. Desirable colors matter, which is why I ditched the idea of a Python Green 992 and reverted back to Chalk Gray. So in essence, we can concede that colors matter in one instance (…Porsche), but when applied to BMW (..e.g…the Urban Green, Mantis Green or Mint Green colored cars available) it should be rendered a non-issue?!?!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 03:56 PM   #10265
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

…one narrative can be presented, but an alternative narrative can't be presented?! The fact is in my area the car does sell above MSRP more often than not AND allocations are hard to come by. It may not sit well with you that the situation suggests that some people like the car, but that's the truth. Why do I have to be a fanboy simply because I try to objective about the car? Why are you unable to have a mature discussion without resorting to antagonist name calling? Me and some of the fellas here don't always agree on things, but at least we remain mature and civil. You're the outlier here.
The overwhelming majority of data (forums, automotive journalists, car youtubers, social media, cars&coffee events, car shows, BMW sales ppl) all points to the pig nose grills being a complete disaster. Besides that the overall styling of the car - Challenger hood, fake side vents, gloss black lower trim, weird body lines, lack of Hofmeister kink, Lexus taillights- all add to why ppl feel the G8x is a design nightmare. If this car looked liked a LaFerrari with a bad grill then ppl may give it a 2nd look but the grill is just the highlight of a very poor design. I will say that M3 is much more coherent design than M4.

I think the new M2 with normal grills will be much more sought after by traditional BMW crowd than M4 as long as BMW doesn’t neuter its performance and options. The KITH crowd will gravitate to the loud M4 in Yellow.

BMW can just offer a “classic grill” front just like Porsche offers “SportDesign” bumpers on 911. This would make everyone happy.
Appreciate 3
NickyC17439.00
Jockey3445.00
The_Werm212.00
      07-27-2021, 03:58 PM   #10266
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Quote:

The overwhelming majority of data (forums, automotive journalists, car youtubers, social media, cars&coffee events, car shows, BMW sales ppl) all points to the pig nose grills being a complete disaster. Besides that the overall styling of the car - Challenger hood, fake side vents, gloss black lower trim, weird body lines, lack of Hofmeister kink, Lexus taillights- all add to why ppl feel the G8x is a design nightmare. If this car looked liked a LaFerrari with a bad grill then ppl may give it a 2nd look but the grill is just the highlight of a very poor design. I will say that M3 is much more coherent design than M4.
They might be a disaster subjectively, but not objectively (…sales). Let's look at it another way. If you owned a BMW dealership and you couldn't keep a G8X in stock because they were all purchased quickly, what would your objective opinion be?!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:01 PM   #10267
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

No, you disregard the specificity/nuance
Because it doesn't matter per your own words: "They do have a few allocations however"

You're ignoring your own point!

Said differently, "giving credit to the G8x" this dealer has allocations available for a vehicle that highly appeals to some & mildly appeals to others; they're also in an overall overheating car market, selling everything they can get & they wanna make hay while the sun's shining. So what's the best way to move G8x in this market?

(1.) If someone specifically inquires about the G8x, they go into the "highly appeals" bucket. Dealers tell them, "Ooooo I dunno man, things are tight..." and dealers negotiate to get the most profit you can.

(2.) What about the allocations dealers have nobody is inquiring about? You reach out to validated & qualified buyers with a decent offer to attract them.

In this market, that probably moves as many units as you have to to keep BMW happy, but you're not begging BMW for more allocations! So what about inventory on the lot / in the showroom?

Well that's generally used for confirmation test drives, but more to upsell a 4-series buyer into a more pricey model, and/or to attract buyers who come in for other things (a different car, a used car, waiting for maintenance, etc)

Ok, so IRL:

So if dealers don't have many G8x in stock, but DO have allocations available, what do we conclude?

YOUR conclusion seems to be ZOMG SOLD OUT!

My conclusion is, dealers find showroom models useless at attracting/upselling and, in this market, can move enough to keep BMW happy so why over order? Just keep moving them for highly interested buyers and reach out to pre-validated & qualified buyers with good deals.

Basically every anecdote posted here is fitting that model.

I'm not denying the G8x has a high appeal to some - it obviously does!; I just don't think it has high appeal to many. Said differently, whatever appeal the G8x has, its highly engaged audience is smaller than previous M3/4s, and dealers are having to give more incentives & deals to move them, especially in this market, than in previous M3 models.

You're completely right that the G8x has high appeal to some, and that that audience is large enough for dealers to be able to sell enough to satisfy their franchise agreements.

What we don't know is if or how BMWNA has changed those numbers in comparison to previous models.

I think we're seeing enough datapoints to indicate BMW is moving out of the beaver business, but that's still not conclusive.
Appreciate 3
Tecnniqe4197.00
      07-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #10268
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
It is all vehicles.

If you are serious about selling do it soon if you are leasing. Brands are stopping third party buyouts, rumor is BMW will soon follow. I know GM, Nissan/Infiniti, Volvo have halted third party buyouts. More to follow. People were leasing for a couple months and pocketing $5k+ equity...rinse and repeat. Brands are catching on and they want their inventory back on their own lots.
Nah I never lease but good heads up!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #10269
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
They might be a disaster subjectively, but not objectively (…sales). Let's look at it another way. If you owned a BMW dealership and you couldn't keep a G8X in stock because they were all purchased quickly, what would your objective opinion be?!
Sales is not real Data in 2021 when you have 3yr waiting lists for Corvette or getting 911 allocation is a miracle.

Ppl are paying over sticker for Hondas.

Its not hard to sell M product in this climate with so much $$$ floating around and such limited supply. Even so i have zero issues getting new M3 order at MSRP if I wanted.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:07 PM   #10270
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Dont take this the wrong way but are there not any 718s out there painted an actual color?
I would love Chalk or a dark blue. I may get a wrap.
Did someone say dark blue 718
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
GrussGott18116.50
NickyC17439.00
RugbyBro7600.50
stein_325i25064.00
minn1914012.00
      07-27-2021, 04:08 PM   #10271
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Quote:
Sales is not real Data in 2021 when you have 3yr waiting lists for Corvette or getting 911 allocation is a miracle.

Ppl are paying over sticker for Hondas.

Its not hard to sell M product in this climate with so much $$$ floating around and such limited supply. Even so i have zero issues getting new M3 order at MSRP if I wanted.
It's still a valid data point. It's only being ruled invalid when it concerns a controversial car that some don't like. I'm sure we aren't harboring the same perspective that "sales don't matter" when it comes to cars we like. There are a lot of cars that aren't selling (…cough…Alfa….cough) and/or not selling at above MSRP like a large percentage of M's in my area. I still stand by the notion that people buy cars they like, not cars they don't. Some Honda's, Toyota's, Kia's, etc. are sought after, so the market dictates the pricing (…in this case, mark-ups). Honda Type R's, Toyota 4 Runner Pro's, Ford Raptor's, etc. have been selling with a mark-up long before COVID & chip shortages.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #10272
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Drive by posting.

I HATE the gloss black side skirts on my car. The dope that whoever was smoking when they drummed up this idea was some powerful shit. I wish the M performance side skirts weren’t so horrible or I’d have already made the switch. Holding out for some aftermarket replacements soon.

Gloss black on a panel closest to the street where EVERYTHING shows up on it, lol.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24973.00
RugbyBro7600.50
stein_325i25064.00
minn1914012.00
      07-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #10273
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Drive by posting.

I HATE the gloss black side skirts on my car. The dope that whoever was smoking when they drummed up this idea was some powerful shit. I wish the M performance side skirts weren't so horrible or I'd have already made the switch. Holding out for some aftermarket replacements soon.

Gloss black on a panel closest to the street where EVERYTHING shows up on it, lol.
I'm not a fan of the gloss black fad either. I don't like it on any car, from Civic's to Porsche's to BMW's. When I was planning to purchase a G8X, I already had my paint guy primed to paint all of the gloss black parts upon delivery.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17439.00
      07-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #10274
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Drive by posting.

I HATE the gloss black side skirts on my car. The dope that whoever was smoking when they drummed up this idea was some powerful shit. I wish the M performance side skirts weren’t so horrible or I’d have already made the switch. Holding out for some aftermarket replacements soon.

Looks awful on the new G42 M240 as well.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17439.00