GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-10-2020, 02:35 AM   #1
ogakul
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Android Auto for iDrive

I don't now if this is a known thing here.

There is an Android app which lets you connect your phone with iDrive to control apps (e.g. Spotify, PowerAmp, Plex, VLC, SoundCloud, Tidal) through iDrive. So you can use those apps in your car without touching your phone.

It's called AndroidAutoIdrive:
https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAutoIdrive

You can download the current release here:
https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAutoIdrive/releases

I use it for example in combination with Poweramp and internet radio. So this let's me listen to internet radio stations in my F82.

Google Maps is also supported but you have to do some things on your own to get it running.

You can find a list of all supported apps and features here: https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAut...ented-features

EDIT: If you like the project and want to support the developer, buy him a coffee using this link: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/q4JVoxz Don't forget that BMW would charge you at least 300$ for something like this as an "option".

Last edited by ogakul; 08-28-2020 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 4
danchee136.00
thestimp965.00
      07-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogakul View Post
I don't now if this is a known thing here.

There is an Android app which lets you connect your phone with iDrive to control apps (e.g. Spotify) through iDrive. So you can listen to Spotify in your car without touching your phone.

It's called AndroidAutoIdrive:
https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAutoIdrive

You can download the current release here:
https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAut...ases/tag/1.2.1
Choose the "androidautoidrive-1.2.1-nomap-nonalytics-release.apk" variant.

I use it for example in combination with Poweramp and internet radio. So this let's me listen to internet radio stations in my F82.

Google Maps is also supported but you have to do some things on your own to get it running.

You can find a list of all supported apps and features here: https://github.com/hufman/AndroidAut...ented-features
Hey,

Good to know!

So,

How does it work?

What do I download it to, PC ---> USB ---> M4?

Or, directly on/to phone?

Details, please!

Cheers!

07-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Downloaded the latest APK, installed it just fine.

This has some neat functionality for basic music listening and getting some options while playing spotify, like going through playlists and what not. Def something most people want instead of full Android Auto.

I haven't figured out how to recompile to add google maps to see how that works, if I attempt that tonight I'll update and review here. They said its basic functionality but thats probably worth it as well considering its free...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]

For reference, I'm curious about the google maps thing....damn work day!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

I assume you plug it into the USB on the center console not under the arm rest right? Did you get a chance to test out Amazon/Youtube Music? If you start it then start this app, do they show up with album text and all that?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:26 AM   #6
ogakul
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
What do I download it to, PC ---> USB ---> M4?

Or, directly on/to phone?
You have to download the APK file to your android phone. Then install the App on your phone. Also you need BMW Connected installed (download from Google Play Store)

Then connect your phone with USB or Bluetooth to the car. USB is more reliable currently but Bluetooth works too with some connection issues at times. The developer is working on to make Bluetooth more reliable.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2020, 07:23 AM   #7
idiot
Rep

Awesome, thanks for this! Does the Maps feature actually display maps on the screen?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:25 AM   #8
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have not been able to get the google maps feature to work, it seems there is a custom file modification needed but I am not able to find clear directions just yet. I will be attempting tonight after work, if I figure it out I'll make a walk through.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
ogakul
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
I have not been able to get the google maps feature to work, it seems there is a custom file modification needed but I am not able to find clear directions just yet. I will be attempting tonight after work, if I figure it out I'll make a walk through.
As I understand it, you have to get a "Google Maps API key" first.

Then you have do download the git repo and add the key to
Code:
~/.gradle/gradle.properties
as a <property> called
Code:
AndroidAutoIdrive_GmapsApiKey
Then you have to compile the apk yourself using Android Studio.

Will try it in the next days if I can motivate myself

Last edited by ogakul; 07-15-2020 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: corrected API key link
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
ogakul
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot View Post
Awesome, thanks for this! Does the Maps feature actually display maps on the screen?
Looks like it does. The developer says:
Quote:
Google Maps:
- Basic search and routing
- Includes some dark themes
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
was looking at this over my lunch, looks like there are issues with maps which is why its left out, also the individual API key, I managed to put it all together, but it is weeeeeeiiirrrdddd. I've joined his github/gitter I'll see what I can add over the coming weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #12
ogakul
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
was looking at this over my lunch, looks like there are issues with maps which is why its left out, also the individual API key, I managed to put it all together, but it is weeeeeeiiirrrdddd. I've joined his github/gitter I'll see what I can add over the coming weeks.
Actually there is no technical issue, just a legal one:

Quote:
Not compiled by default, because showing Google Maps in a car is against the Maps API license
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #13
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hence the "issues" yes. Looks like hes about to release a 1.3 iteration soon, this will be a fun quarantine project.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #14
ogakul
Rep

If you like the project and want to support the developer, buy him a coffee using this link: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/q4JVoxz

Don't forget that BMW would charge you at least 300$ for something like this as an "option"...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:06 AM   #15
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

I am using a Huawei Mate 20 Pro and have downloaded and installed the app. And have BMW connected installed as well. Spotify is not showing album artwork and I can not see playlists, using a bluetooth connection. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Sapphire Black M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:30 AM   #16
ogakul
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
I am using a Huawei Mate 20 Pro and have downloaded and installed the app. And have BMW connected installed as well. Spotify is not showing album artwork and I can not see playlists, using a bluetooth connection. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Probably this:
Quote:
Recent versions of Spotify block the standard Android MediaBrowserService connection, which is needed for the Search feature. Please downgrade to version 8.4.96.953 for full functionality.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #17
mbonus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

works good wired, I'm only able get audio by Bluetooth but that is expected for 2015 f30. basically give similar controls to what is available to iPhone users using the officially supported connected apps. I also like the message notifications popping up. it would be pretty awesome if somebody could integrate waze or Google maps
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:13 PM   #18
GEDDES
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonus View Post
works good wired, I'm only able get audio by Bluetooth but that is expected for 2015 f30. basically give similar controls to what is available to iPhone users using the officially supported connected apps. I also like the message notifications popping up. it would be pretty awesome if somebody could integrate waze or Google maps
I have a 2016 F30, I plug it in and get all the apps appearing under multimedia however when I click any of them nothing works. Is this because I am using android 10 on my Samsung s20. On the phone the USB just says charging and no matter what I do I can't get it to connect to any other option.

Also can I ask how you get connected via bluetooth for BMW connected. I just can't seem to get it to hook up.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:52 PM   #19
mbonus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEDDES View Post
Quote:
I have a 2016 F30, I plug it in and get all the apps appearing under multimedia however when I click any of them nothing works. Is this because I am using android 10 on my Samsung s20. On the phone the USB just says charging and no matter what I do I can't get it to connect to any other option.

Also can I ask how you get connected via bluetooth for BMW connected. I just can't seem to get it to hook up.
edit: I just reread your post, and I think you have everything connected correctly if you're seeing the apps. The main app that you have to select is the one at the bottom audio player, that is the one that's going to get you the sound. The other apps are just selected within the audio player app.

Did you download the mini connected app?

I also had a problem with the phone only allowing charging (pixel 3xl Android 10). Switched cables and it seems to have gone away.

The latest developer build of the app has more information under connections.

I was always able to connect via Bluetooth for bmw connected. Are you not able to get into the app? When connected I get a notification in the status bar. The only time I had an issue with BMW connected was when I was using an ad blocker lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #20
GEDDES
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F30 330i

Thumbs up

Quote:
edit: I just reread your post, and I think you have everything connected correctly if you're seeing the apps. The main app that you have to select is the one at the bottom audio player, that is the one that's going to get you the sound. The other apps are just selected within the audio player app.

I also had a problem with the phone only allowing charging (pixel 3xl Android 10). Switched cables and it seems to have gone away.

I was always able to connect via Bluetooth for bmw connected. Are you not able to get into the app? When connected I get a notification in the status bar. The only time I had an issue with BMW connected was when I was using an ad blocker lol
Cheers I will give it a go. I still dont get why I can't connect via bluetooth, in the menu it says via click in adaptor or usb.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:00 PM   #21
mbonus
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEDDES View Post
Quote:

Cheers I will give it a go. I still dont get why I can't connect via bluetooth, in the menu it says via click in adaptor or usb.
The main reason for connecting with Bluetooth I believe is because after Android 8 they blocked the audio over USB. all I know is that how it works in my car Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #22
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

If you have developer mode enabled on your phone, make sure to turn it off. I found that with Android 9 onwards, having it enabled causes weird behaviors in many apps.
Appreciate 0