Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

08-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 i3s; 07 328xit (sold)

3G cellular discontinuation - BMW technology upgrade

Took my GTS in for the (free) technology upgrade on Thursday (8/12).

They ran into a software issue on the first try - they contacted BMW support.

Next day, they ran into 2 more errors: "TCB failed to program" twice. They pulled fuse #120 and allowed module to reset for 10 minutes. Following fuse reset, they saw a fault 26108 - TCB No Current Coding Data Stored.

Re-encoded TCB module (Diagcode: 8410_TCB_1000_90_201). Upgrade completed OK.

Note: following this update, the iDrive system was asking for a navigation software activation code. Unfortunately, I only saw this message after I got home. I will be going back on Monday for them to provide the activation code - it has to be done at the dealership using a USB drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

There's a free tech upgrade for the GTS? Tell me more!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 02:58 AM   #3
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
There's a free tech upgrade for the GTS? Tell me more!
Yup - got the following email back in May:

There are important ConnectedDrive service changes affecting your 2016 M4, Vehicle Identification Number ending in XXXX.

As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022 your vehicle will no longer be able to receive some or all ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services, such as BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.

The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

Based on your vehicle model, you are eligible for a technology upgrade to maintain functionality of BMW ConnectedDrive services.

For more details, please refer to the 3G Cellular Technology Discontinuation Frequently Asked Questions or contact BMW Customer Relations at 800 831 1117.

BMW ConnectedDrive

Item 6 of the attached PDF (FAQ referenced in the last paragraph of the email) covers my GTS.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 3G_FAQ.pdf (148.9 KB, 401 views)
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      08-15-2021, 08:34 PM   #4
Secret Chimp
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, Lotus Exige S, 61 Mini

Take a look at post 183 on the thread I linked below. It looks like there are two different paths for fixing the issue, depending on the model. One is a software update and the other is a hardware upgrade as well as a software update. It appears that our cars will need a hardware upgrade. Specifically, a telematics combox and a 4g rooftop antenna upgrade followed by a software update. So, if your dealer is just trying to do a software update only, that might be the problem.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=183

Last edited by Secret Chimp; 08-15-2021 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 01:12 AM   #5
bayarea328xit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Chimp View Post
Take a look at post 183 on the thread I linked below. It looks like there are two different paths for fixing the issue, depending on the model. One is a software update and the other is a hardware upgrade as well as a software update. It appears that our cars will need a hardware upgrade. Specifically, a telematics combox and a 4g rooftop antenna upgrade followed by a software update. So, if your dealer is just trying to do a software update only, that might be the problem.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=183
My invoice shows the SIB identified in your link (#183) - SIB 840221. The SIB references two paths - SW only or HW+SW.

To me, it seems like there are some M4 GTS that need both HW+SW. On the 5th (bottom left) image, you can see "MC 4S93 Only" -- I'm wondering if only the M4 GTS with "4S93" in the VIN require both the HW+SW. My GTS VIN has "4S9C" -- not sure if this explains why mine required SW only.

My dealership is using this SIB and following the outlined procedure - I have no reason to question if they did the SW only update when the HW was also required for my GTS.
Appreciate 0