European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > Classifieds > Members Classifieds > Electronics: Audio / Video / Phone / Alarm / Navigation / Radar

11-26-2021, 11:17 AM   #1
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

RARE USA/Canada NBT EVO LATEST VERSION HW 4.1

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 650.00

Or Best Offer

Item Interest
Rare USA/Canada NBT EVO HeadUnit

With USA HD Radio and SiriusXM Chips, unlike ECE versions with DAB and no HD Radio Chips.

Works with F Series Models 1,2,3 and 4 including M2,M3 and M4

Search extensively to find this particular late model HU with HW 4.1. Purchased this to upgrade family BMW unit but a deer had other ideas.

Because of chip shortage, anyone who’s searched knows all NBT EVO HUs are very rare now. HW 4.1 is very latest. There are no higher Hardware Revisions of this unit. Most units advertised as “iDrive6” are usually HW 2.x or HW 3.x units. Seller does not point out Hardware Version for obvious reasons. HW 4.1 is latest (and last) and very rare as they were only introduced in BMW F2x/F3x vehicles mid 2018 models.

The 2016 HW 2.x units were memory limited (2GB) and CarPlay often crashes. Many remote features were not available with the 2.x hardware. It can only run ID-6 “lite”for CarPlay.

The 2017 HW 3.x had more memory (4GB) but the 2018+ HW 4.1 had the latest technology and remote features.

The mid 2018+ HW 4.x had the latest tech and hardware you can find in this unit, but as F30/F31 were in their last year, much harder to source.

G Series G2x/G8x went with a different non-compatible HU so this is the most up to date OEM tech you can fit in your F Series.

You cannot get any better than this if wanting to upgrade/update your NBT EVO unit. If you want all the remote functions for your 2016 NBT EVO this HU does that (and sell off your older NBT EVO to someone to recoup some costs). Or retrofit entire unit into older NBT model for the newer hardware and features.

Also have access to a working transferable ATM if you want to retrofit entire setup including Connect Drive with full remote features. Latest firmware assure it works with VoLTE post February 2022 3G USA shutdown.

Better to email than post below as the info above will most likely generate a lot of questions not concerning this sale that should be asked in other sections and not the classifieds.

etcm4kcy5k9r@opayq.com

Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by YASBBYM3; 03-24-2022 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

There is no difference in hardware between HW3.x compared to HW4.x. Please don't mistake others
Appreciate 5
ried791.50
dmanb2b2124.50
      12-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #3
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
There is no difference in hardware between HW3.x compared to HW4.x. Please don't mistake others
I will certainly coincide you know far more about coding than 99.9% of anyone on this forum, including myself. However, on your post above about differences in 3.x and 4.x Hardware, you are this time mistaken.

As you are a coder as opposed to a tech designer and not based in the United States, you are most likely unaware of USA laws mandated by the Federal Government via the DOT and NHTSA, among others. The Automobile Industry is one of the most regulated Industries in the United States.

Furthermore, the FCC also must type approve any change in a HU unit as these units not only receive RF Frequencies on the AM/FM/SDARS, but transmit via BT/WiFi as well as interface with the ACC among other sensors.

Whenever there is a change in a part supplier within an automotive device, a new part number is required. That explains why BMW changed the part number on NBT EVO HU up to 6 times a year as seen in the pic below. This does not require any Government approval and can be something as simple as changing the 4Gb internal memory supplier from Samsung to Micron. Or even the rear connector supplier. In this case, only the HU part number requires changing so that issues can be tracked accordingly.

However, in cases where there is a different part to a different spec, a new MINOR Hardware level is needed as well. This can be anything from a newer CPU, Graphics chip or the like. These are noted with a x.1 change.

A MAJOR Hardware level (from a HW 3.x to 4.x) denotes a much more dramatic change within the unit. This is sometimes very obvious on the outside of the HU such as between the HW 2.x to HW 3.x as the rear connectors changed in number and position with the GPS connector moving from the rear of the HU to the ATM, not to mention an increase in internal memory from 2Gb to 4Gb. This requires a totally new FCC Approval. For this reason alone, these units do not simply increase the HW level upward (from 3.2 to 4.x) as you suggest.

On the outside, the the change from HW 3.x to HW 4.x is less obvious as the changes are all internal, unlike the 2.x to 3.x changes.

Unless you have actually opened up a HU HW 3.x and 4.x unit and visually inspected, comparing EVERY component part number, you might not even be aware of the change. Regardless, simply looking at the PCB part number of the HW 3.x vs HW 4.x internally, you will find it has changed for the differences in the design, as newer IC chips are often smaller and have different connections in the PCB. In fact, considering the HW 3.0 was designed in early 2016, it’s actually somewhat ridiculous to think changes would not be implemented several years later. That’s also why some things that used to be accomplished via the ODB Port in early units now require a direct connect to the OBAR Connection in the HW 4.x units.

I do not know with absolute certainty which chips were updated, but I’d suspect the BT and WLAN are likely candidates as those were the usual area of complaints (as witnessed on the forum) when new phones and operating systems were released or updated. As several chips have those integrated into to IC, it’s not out of the question the processor package was upgraded as prices came down and tech advanced. I know BT pairing is a major pain for BMW Service Centers when new phones and OS are released as I’ve discussed it with several Service Managers.

As you should have figured out by now, these changes are not done “just because” and require high priced lawyers and filings with multiple Government Agencies. That is every reason NOT to simply change the HW numbers as you have suggested.

Now, as to implications I am misleading others, again, I suggest you re-read above. I also invite you to ask @PinotF80 what I told him the day before your post when he inquired about changing out his HW 3.2 HU for a HW 4.1 unit. In summary, I told him that unless he was OCD and the type of BMW owner who would spend a whole bunch of cash to get an additional 25 HP, it probably wouldn’t be worth his while as he most likely wouldn’t notice the difference.

This ad was primarily aimed for those with a NBT or NBT EVO HW 2.x unit that needed to upgrade their units, especially as 3G support end in 90 days in the USA, as I was planning to do.

But since you’ve brought it up, perhaps as a service to the forum, you can link us to the plethora of used USA NBT EVO HW 3.x and HW 4.x unit for sale and their going prices. And please don’t confuse older units running iDrive 6 (or iDrive 6 Lite) for the higher HW level.

The chip shortage has caused a run on the used NBT EVO market as well. As such, ALL used NBT EVO units for the 1-4 series F Series are very hard to come by now.

Bottom line, I’d rather spend $800 for a HW 4.1 than $600+ for a HW 2.x or HW 3.x unit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
llvsixaxisvll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

Hi, wondering what it means for this to not have the blue GPS connector in the back. Does that affect the functionality of people looking to upgrade? I know with most of these connected drive is lost (so not referring to that lost functionality).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by llvsixaxisvll View Post
Hi, wondering what it means for this to not have the blue GPS connector in the back. Does that affect the functionality of people looking to upgrade? I know with most of these connected drive is lost (so not referring to that lost functionality).
I thought connected drive would work with the $1500 solution.. It's a full upgrade no?

https://retrofitmybimmer.com/
      12-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #6
arn671
Private
Guam
Rep
Drives: Silverstone F80 M3

Will this head unit allow me to upgrade my 15’ M3 to id6 and have CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_f80m3 View Post
I thought connected drive would work with the $1500 solution.. It's a full upgrade no?

https://retrofitmybimmer.com/
Twice the price and not even guarantee for HW 4.x

As I stated in the Top Posting, there are so many possible retrofit combinations that it’s literally impossible to cover them all.

About the link for the $1500 unit @paulo_f80m3 posted, it’s about twice the price and not even guaranteed HW 4.x. Their pic (if accurate) is at minimum a HW 3.x or MAYBE a HW 4.x unit. Do not confuse the iDrive 4, 5 or 6 for the hardware capabilities. The latest iOS 15 will run great on the latest iPhone 13. iOS 13 will also run on an old as iPhone 6s. That does not mean that iOS 15 will run as well on a 2015 iPhone 6s as it will on a 2021 Phone 13 as many know first hand.

You certainly would not pay as much for an iPhone (6s) running iOS 15 as an iPhone (13) running iOS 15. Don’t confuse iDrive with Hardware.

They do appear to supply you with a $10 WiFi antenna

https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Cellul...dp/B07PFLWY77/

Or $4 shipped from AliExpress if you prefer:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001290910387.html

Plus a trim removal tool from a $2.50 trim removal set:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000365107032.html

and a $5 T20 screwdriver as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Antrader-Magn...dp/B07RYM2FBK/

You can find prices for identical coding from multiple forum sponsor coders such as @Kubax86 or @steve@CodeMyBimmer for roughly $100, MUCH less than the additional $700 additional from the link.

GPS needs to be connected at the rear ATM for 2016 models with HU NBT EVO HW 2.x during retrofits. The GPS plugs into back of the 2016 NBT EVO HW 2.x and earlier 2013-2015 NBT HUs from the factory. The GPS is already plugged into the ATM for 2017+ models.

It is even possible that the link you posted above supplies the older HW 2.x 2016 NBT EVO model with GPS connection on rear of HU for 2013-2016 retrofits for ease of retrofit. You need to get that info from them. I would personally avoid a HW 2.x unit at any costs and certainly not for a premium price. Again, would you the same price for an iOS 15 iPhone 6s as an iOS 15 iPhone 13?

Do not confuse the WLAN WiFi Antenna which plugs into the rear of the 2017+ NBT EVO HU required for CarPlay with the GPS antenna that should already be in your BMW and needs to be connected to the ATM in the rear for OEM Navigation.

For Connected Drive to function in USA post 2/2022, you need an ATM. Period. The ATM must also be flashed to a newer iStep (2017 or above) to use VoLTE. 2017+ NBT EVO models have no issues. If your car iStep was flashed at a Dealership in the last several years, you are most likely good. No NBT BMWs (2013-2015) have an ATM. So if you have a 2015 or earlier USA model, you will lose Connected Drive as you do not have an ATM but an earlier TCB that is only capable of 3G.

As originally posted, I do have a registered and working ATM I was planning to retrofit using the tried, true and proven method known to work post 2/2022 with Connected Drive. I will happily sell that as well if you are interested. Your GPS would then connect directly to the ATM and you would have all the capabilities of a 2020 M4 including Remote Services and Connected Drive.

To sum it all up, your link for a $1800 on sale for $1500 unit is essentially $700 more than this offering with around $100 of extras thrown in. It is NOT a complete retrofit with Connected Drive, nor do they even offer that option. They will deliver what the ad states. And I have used them for a previous retrofit years ago as well with no issues.

But that’s what the differences are.

Finally, once again, this is the classified section. Please take your specific retrofit questions not concerning this sale to the proper section:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=528

As for @arn761 and @llvsixaxisvll the unit I am selling is the latest version will allow you to update your 2014-2015 NBT to iDrive 6 and have Apple CarPlay.

However, in full disclosure, your GPS connection for the BMW OEM Navigation runs through the ATM in the rear which you do not have starting with HW 3.0. That is no issue if you use the Apple CarPlay Navigation (Waze, Apple Maps or Google Maps). However you could not use the BMW OEM Navigation without either an ATM retrofit (as I was planning to do originally, again, see my post #1) or buy a BMW GPS/ATM emulator. Considering the price the emulators sell for on the web, I just thought I’d spend several hundred more and do the full ATM retrofit so I could use Connected Drive and Remote Services.

The emulators can be found on web by searching for: bmw fxx evo atm or bmw fxx evo gps

Again, this is the classified section. Please take your specific retrofit questions not concerning this sale to the proper section:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=528
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #8
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanz M4

price with ATM?

Totaled:F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:20 PM   #9
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauzins View Post
price with ATM?
It depends on what equipment your car is equipped with and what you can reuse. Better to email me at address in post #1 to discuss individual needs.

Also, more info here

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...823438&page=14
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1884961
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 12:38 AM   #10
jeremyuhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Emailed.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 10:26 PM   #11
aviichen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Hi I have a 2015 m3 will this get me carplay?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 08:02 PM   #12
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Rare USA/Canada NBT EVO HeadUnit

With USA HD Radio and SiriusXM Chips, unlike ECE versions with DAB and no HD Radio Chips.

Works with F Series Models 1,2,3 and 4 including M2,M3 and M4

Search extensively to find this particular late model HU with HW 4.1. Purchased this to upgrade family BMW unit but a deer had other ideas.

Because of chip shortage, anyone who’s searched knows all NBT EVO HUs are very rare now. HW 4.1 is very latest. There are no higher Hardware Revisions of this unit. Most units advertised as “iDrive6” are usually HW 2.x or HW 3.x units. Seller does not point out Hardware Version for obvious reasons. HW 4.1 is latest (and last) and very rare as they were only introduced in BMW F2x/F3x vehicles mid 2018 models.

The 2016 HW 2.x units were memory limited (2GB) and CarPlay often crashes. Many remote features were not available with the 2.x hardware. It can only run ID-6 “lite”for CarPlay.

The 2017 HW 3.x had more memory (4GB) but the 2018+ HW 4.1 had the latest technology and remote features.

The mid 2018+ HW 4.x had the latest tech and hardware you can find in this unit, but as F30/F31 were in their last year, much harder to source.

G Series G2x/G8x went with a different non-compatible HU so this is the most up to date OEM tech you can fit in your F Series.

You cannot get any better than this if wanting to upgrade/update your NBT EVO unit. If you want all the remote functions for your 2016 NBT EVO this HU does that (and sell off your older NBT EVO to someone to recoup some costs). Or retrofit entire unit into older NBT model for the newer hardware and features.

Also have access to a working transferable ATM if you want to retrofit entire setup including Connect Drive with full remote features. Latest firmware assure it works with VoLTE post February 2022 3G USA shutdown.

Better to email than post below as the info above will most likely generate a lot of questions not concerning this sale that should be asked in other sections and not the classifieds.

etcm4kcy5k9r@opayq.com

Thanks
Hey do you know the part number for the newest unit?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 05:45 PM   #13
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SreeM View Post
Hey do you know the part number for the newest unit?
Newest are HW5.1
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 04:56 PM   #14
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 11:17 AM   #15
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

Post deleted due to bug. See Post below.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 11:18 AM   #16
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Any reason the HW 4.1 won't work on an E92 M3? I'm planning a retrofit and getting a conversion harness, but want to procure the best hardware possible. Why is the G series NBT/EVO not compatible with F series?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 12:22 PM   #17
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
PM sent.
Sent PM twice with no response.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 10:38 PM   #18
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
PM sent.
I have seen people retrofit a NBT EVO into a late E Series. The G2x G series do not use a NBT EVO. BMW changed the internal data communications in the new G Series. All systems have been rethought and redesigned. It would be like trying to communicate between Mandarin and English without a translator (and a real-time translation device does not exist, at least as of this post).

Remember it would need to translate code and data in a very precise format between the two. Much harder to do that than "simple" (in comparison) word translation.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 10:11 AM   #19
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you YASBBYM3
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 04:59 AM   #20
soledoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
This has got more commments than I thought. I’m learning a lot from
My original post. For now I’m keeping my slightly faulty head unit. I ordered connected drive and car play from BMW and those both work fine. I play siriusXM through my phone on car play and it’s fine. So to go through all the trouble getting a new head unit or new coding mine I spent $300 and got apple car play working fine.
I’ve got a 2021 X3 for when I need a more modern looking I drive system. I bought the M4 to drive so the electronics are important but #1 on my list.

I’m going to keep following this thread and am going to learn a lot.
'07 530xiT (son's)
Appreciate 1
YASBBYM3592.50
      03-02-2024, 10:25 PM   #21
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0