ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

01-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #45
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingtonFPV View Post
I was able to set up the router via dhcp and read the FA in esys. My coding seemed to go OK but I got an error when I wrote the changed value to the car. At this point I chickened out and took my computer out to the garage where it worked fine via a direct connection. The car was off when I went out (I should have left the door open) so it is possible that the car went to sleep while I was trying to code the changed values in esys via the wifi.

Anyway, this seems to work in principle but I'm going to wait for it to get warmer before I try again (my flashing power supply wouldn't even power on until I warmed it up...).
Here's a trick from BMW, fasten the driver seat belt and the car/ignition will remain on. http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=95

If you were able to connect to the car, then you're good to go, Congrats! Given you have a PSU and maybe you intend to flash with Esys, don't do it over wifi.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #46
psedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 AB 6MT F80

I feel like such an idiot for not doing this sooner. I had seen this thread when you first posted it too

I taped an old router to the wall. So simple.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #47
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
@psedog , the most obvious simple things stare us in the face +1 for the MB!!! R u running boot camp or a VM?
-1 for the taping, come on use a few screws
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #48
psedog
Captain
Rep

The router doesn't have screw holes. Trust me it was my first thought. I'm probably going to put screws above and below it and use some 5150 cord

I'm using Virtualbox. Running Windows in a window is the only way to use it.
      03-03-2017, 03:06 AM   #49
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by psedog View Post
The router doesn't have screw holes. Trust me it was my first thought. I'm probably going to put screws above and below it and use some 5150 cord

I'm using Virtualbox. Running Windows in a window is the only way to use it.
Does not have to be pretty to be functional, but I would just make sure router is getting enough circulation.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #50
packet pilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: test mule

Quote:
The router doesn't have screw holes.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #51
psedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet pilot View Post
Quote:
The router doesn't have screw holes.
That's how I have my phone attached to the wall next to my bed :rofl:
      03-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #52
tinuco
Rep
Drives: f20

Amazing
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:58 PM   #53
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I thought about posting a new thread, but considering this thread was my "inspiration", it seemed appropriate to post it here...

So while I usually prefer a wired connection when using diagnostic tools like ISTA+, I still wanted to have a good wireless option when working on my car in some circumstances. After finding this thread a while ago, I knew using an old wireless router was not going work for me, and neither was physically hacking into one (although that DIY project was intriguing). Then it dawned on me that I could use some other existing hardware that I had which recently become "obsolete" - at least for me.

A few years ago I tuned my M3 using BM3, and when I did, I used their OBD WiFi Agent device and an ENET cable to connect BM3 to my car using my iPhone. I actually built my own OBD WiFi Agent device as it is just a Raspberry Pi 3B with some specialized BM3 software. BM3 recently updated their iPhone software interface so I no longer use this device. Then I thought why not reprogram it to be a wireless ENET interface. What is great about using a Pi for this purpose is that it is small and can be powered from inside the car via a USB outlet.

I am far from a programmer or Raspberry Pi computer expert. But there is a ton of info on the net about how to use them (and program them) for different tasks. After educating myself a bit on the different types of wireless routers, bridges, access points, etc. (because it matters when building a Raspberry Pi for this specific task), I came across a site that had all of the necessary info to program the Pi. Here is how I did it....

1. First you need to get yourself a Raspberry Pi (or an old BM3 WiFi OBD Agent like I used). The WiFi Agent used a Raspberry Pi 3B, but any model, including the newest model, RaspBerry Pi 4 should work.

2. Load your new Pi with the latest Pi operating system, Raspbian. It comes in several variants, but I decided to use the "Lite" variant as the additional capability of the other OS variants is not needed for this task. More info and how to initially setup the Pi and OS can be found here.

3. Once your Pi is all setup, you want to set it up as a bridged wireless access point. Most modern wireless routers have this capability built in and several other router functions. But since the Pi will be performing a very specific wireless function, which is bridging the ENET connection over a WiFi connection, the programming is important. After searching the net I found a Pi setup guide that worked for this purpose here.

4. Once your Pi has been converted into a bridged wireless access point, plug it into your car's USB port for power and plug in your ENET cable to the car and the Pi. On your laptop, connect to the Pi using the WiFi SSID and password you created and now you have a wireless ENET link between the car and your laptop using WiFi. Below is a pic of my setup in the car...

And then the obligatory garage pic showing my laptop without wires running to my car ....

I tested this configuration with my laptop using E-Sys and ISTA+ and they both connected and operated just like a wired ENET connection. I even connected my iPhone to the Pi (via WiFi) and was able to run the BM3 app, BimmerCode App and BimmerLink app - an extra bonus! There are several different model Pi's, including smaller ones. I am sure a more compact WiFi ENET device could be made using other components - I may try just for fun since none of the Pi's are expensive. There are a few companies that make wireless ENET devices now (I found one for $80), but since I already had the hardware this project was a no-brainer. But even if I didn't already have the hardware, I still would have built one since it would have been cheaper (and more fun - for me at least ).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 10:05 PM   #54
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
I have this, and it works good:

https://www.unichip-tec.com/bmw_enet...less_esys.html

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:58 AM   #55
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Have you tried Thor Wifi Adapter from Bimmer Geeks?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #56
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Have you tried Thor Wifi Adapter from Bimmer Geeks?
No, haven't tried it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 02:54 AM   #57
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
No, haven't tried it.
Thanks.

They reached out awhile ago about testing wifi enet, but never proceeded in sending test sample.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #58
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
shawnsheridan , Almaretto hi guys, been a while, hope you are doing well.
On topic, I see many years later there's finally a compact wifi enet dongle, though it's unclear if this Thor dongle works also with ISTA, Esys,... so maybe my never released product is still ahead 😂 (which has been retired to my electronic gadget museum)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 08:43 AM   #59
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
On topic, I see many years later there's finally a compact wifi enet dongle, though it's unclear if this Thor dongle works also with ISTA, Esys,... so maybe my never released product is still ahead 😂 (which has been retired to my electronic gadget museum)
I have not tested with ISTA, but E-Sys works fiine.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #60
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, but where is the fun with buying something when you can make it yourself. Making it is the REAL fun part - at least for gadget guys like some of us are .

At least the current/new wireless ENET options on the market are reasonably priced for those who don't want to go the DIY route (I also found the one linked above). After my experience with re-programming my "old" Pi for this new purpose, the tech necessary is not ground breaking, so neither should be the price to get it IMHO....

Next in my DIY diagnostic equipment list is a DIY power supply. I went into sticker shock when I saw how much they are brand new, and then how easy and cheap (and safe) the DIY route can be.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
aboulfad1592.50
      05-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #61
seattleweather
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Quote:
Easiest is to configure the router in access mode if u don't use it for something else using IP static addressing.

When you connect your desktop to the routers wifi network, given DHCP is disabled, the desktop will be assigned an IP address using APIPA in the 169.254/16 range and ZGM will choose the same default IP in that range.

Or use DHCP start addr 169.254.0.10, netmask 255.255.0.0, which could be useful for more advanced stuff.

In both cases, set router static IP in that range, 169.254.0.1, or 169.254.254.254.
I tried the trick, but my's app bimmercode does not recognize the enet connection. Please help!
Appreciate 1
maximking107.50
      05-02-2021, 10:12 AM   #62
seattleweather
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I thought about posting a new thread, but considering this thread was my "inspiration", it seemed appropriate to post it here...

So while I usually prefer a wired connection when using diagnostic tools like ISTA+, I still wanted to have a good wireless option when working on my car in some circumstances. After finding this thread a while ago, I knew using an old wireless router was not going work for me, and neither was physically hacking into one (although that DIY project was intriguing). Then it dawned on me that I could use some other existing hardware that I had which recently become "obsolete" - at least for me.

A few years ago I tuned my M3 using BM3, and when I did, I used their OBD WiFi Agent device and an ENET cable to connect BM3 to my car using my iPhone. I actually built my own OBD WiFi Agent device as it is just a Raspberry Pi 3B with some specialized BM3 software. BM3 recently updated their iPhone software interface so I no longer use this device. Then I thought why not reprogram it to be a wireless ENET interface. What is great about using a Pi for this purpose is that it is small and can be powered from inside the car via a USB outlet.

I am far from a programmer or Raspberry Pi computer expert. But there is a ton of info on the net about how to use them (and program them) for different tasks. After educating myself a bit on the different types of wireless routers, bridges, access points, etc. (because it matters when building a Raspberry Pi for this specific task), I came across a site that had all of the necessary info to program the Pi. Here is how I did it....

1. First you need to get yourself a Raspberry Pi (or an old BM3 WiFi OBD Agent like I used). The WiFi Agent used a Raspberry Pi 3B, but any model, including the newest model, RaspBerry Pi 4 should work.

2. Load your new Pi with the latest Pi operating system, Raspbian. It comes in several variants, but I decided to use the "Lite" variant as the additional capability of the other OS variants is not needed for this task. More info and how to initially setup the Pi and OS can be found here.

3. Once your Pi is all setup, you want to set it up as a bridged wireless access point. Most modern wireless routers have this capability built in and several other router functions. But since the Pi will be performing a very specific wireless function, which is bridging the ENET connection over a WiFi connection, the programming is important. After searching the net I found a Pi setup guide that worked for this purpose here.

4. Once your Pi has been converted into a bridged wireless access point, plug it into your car's USB port for power and plug in your ENET cable to the car and the Pi. On your laptop, connect to the Pi using the WiFi SSID and password you created and now you have a wireless ENET link between the car and your laptop using WiFi. Below is a pic of my setup in the car...

And then the obligatory garage pic showing my laptop without wires running to my car ....

I tested this configuration with my laptop using E-Sys and ISTA+ and they both connected and operated just like a wired ENET connection. I even connected my iPhone to the Pi (via WiFi) and was able to run the BM3 app, BimmerCode App and BimmerLink app - an extra bonus! There are several different model Pi's, including smaller ones. I am sure a more compact WiFi ENET device could be made using other components - I may try just for fun since none of the Pi's are expensive. There are a few companies that make wireless ENET devices now (I found one for $80), but since I already had the hardware this project was a no-brainer. But even if I didn't already have the hardware, I still would have built one since it would have been cheaper (and more fun - for me at least ).
Can I use router, regular or ddwrt or openwrt to achieve the same thing? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #63
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleweather View Post
Can I use router, regular or ddwrt or openwrt to achieve the same thing? Thanks
Sure, it should work as long as you can set it up as a bridged wireless access point as I mentioned in my original post.

Appreciate 0