European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #1
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

bucket seat with stock 3 point

Hi Guys,

Not looking to put roll bar or any kind of brace in the F80 - I need the rear seats, so I'm going to stick with the 3 point seat belt but at least want to replace the driver seat with something more aggressive.

That being said, is there a seat manufacturer or type that works best with the stock seatbelt? (Cobra, Sparco, Recaro)? Something like the M4GTS seats that have the hole built in for the stock seatbelt.

Also want to preserve the same seat height, any bracket recommendations? (VAC, BK, MS)?

Thanks,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 11:09 AM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

For brackets I always recommend BK, fantastic stuff.

For seats that accept the buckle correctly, I suggest the Cobra Nogaro.

What you're thinking of is a good idea. You could even pair it with 4 point QuickFit Pros to accept a Hans device. That combination is specifically tested with the Cobra seat.
Make no mistake: 3 points in a 'bucket' seat are a drastic improvement over your current situation
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

yup. exactly what Shadow said. I recently purchased the Nogaros and harvested some manual bmw sliders from a junk yard. I will be using the schroth QFP + Hansolo. Not ready for BK harness bar or cage....

Look kids, Daddy installed a jungle gym in the back seats.
Appreciate 1
biofluke102.50
      12-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #4
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Stock belts work great with the Cobra seat, this is in an M2.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
sly1types431.50
heyyouduh134.00
      12-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
yup. exactly what Shadow said. I recently purchased the Nogaros and harvested some manual bmw sliders from a junk yard. I will be using the schroth QFP + Hansolo. Not ready for BK harness bar or cage....

Look kids, Daddy installed a jungle gym in the back seats.
That will be a massive upgrade. Being held into a properly bolstered seat and not having to brace against the steering wheel under heavy braking is a game changer. Depending on the org you might struggle to pass tech though. No QFP were specifically made for the F80 and they check the label. You could rig them up after tech but I would of course never suggest such a thing 😉
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2021, 08:23 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
That will be a massive upgrade. Being held into a properly bolstered seat and not having to brace against the steering wheel under heavy braking is a game changer. Depending on the org you might struggle to pass tech though. No QFP were specifically made for the F80 and they check the label. You could rig them up after tech but I would of course never suggest such a thing 😉
The Nogaro + QFP is supposed to be valid combo.

Still, i've had people have aneurysms with the BK bar and 6 points as well.

Easiest solution is to cough rig them up after tech cough

A note to OP: you should do both seats if you are in an instructed run group. If not it's ok to do one. Do not try to buckle up with a 4pt while you've left the instructor with a 3pt
Appreciate 1
Montaver2164.00
      12-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #7
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
The Nogaro + QFP is supposed to be valid combo.

Still, i've had people have aneurysms with the BK bar and 6 points as well.

Easiest solution is to cough rig them up after tech cough

A note to OP: you should do both seats if you are in an instructed run group. If not it's ok to do one. Do not try to buckle up with a 4pt while you've left the instructor with a 3pt
Thanks guys. Anyone in LA/OC area have a cobra seat to try out or know of a shop that has them on display?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 11:22 PM   #8
ENDL3SS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46/F15/GT4

Garage List
2005 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have the OEM Euro GTS seats (Recaro Pole Position ABE) in my F80. Harvest manual sliders from a junk yard like the person above me stated. Bought a BK bracket that attaches to the slider to retain the 3 point and the ability to clip in a race harness.

Currently have QFP that's made for the E90, but it did not pass tech for NASA so I'm going to run stock 3 point while I save for a BK harness bar and Schroth 6 point harness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      12-11-2021, 12:11 AM   #9
stevehifi
Captain
Rep

Thanks to SYT_Shadow's excellent posts about the BK brackets, I'm going to try the adapters to use my power slides for the f80. Seems like a very easy job to move the wire. Not sure if I can find an E30 window switch these days though.

Anyone know of a good substitute for the E30 window switch?

Also are the Recaro pole position similar to the Nogaro's in terms of working well with the stock seat belts?
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11478.00
      12-11-2021, 08:13 AM   #10
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDL3SS View Post
I have the OEM Euro GTS seats (Recaro Pole Position ABE) in my F80. Harvest manual sliders from a junk yard like the person above me stated. Bought a BK bracket that attaches to the slider to retain the 3 point and the ability to clip in a race harness.

Currently have QFP that's made for the E90, but it did not pass tech for NASA so I'm going to run stock 3 point while I save for a BK harness bar and Schroth 6 point harness.
I'm surprised the NASA tech inspector was even aware that the QFP was not intended for your F80. It seems like a very nuisanced distinction to make during a rushed early morning tech. I've seen a lot worse pass.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Quote:

I'm surprised the NASA tech inspector was even aware that the QFP was not intended for your F80. It seems like a very nuisanced distinction to make during a rushed early morning tech. I've seen a lot worse pass.
NASA NE are quite diligent on checking safety gear in my experience, but they are fine with self tech form. HoD there is no onsite tech check you just sign a waiver, Chin pretty similar very light tech. BMWCCA/PCA are more strict and want shop signed tech forms which is annoying. The marque clubs take themselves very seriously in general though. It's definitely a setup you can run just may take some 'creativity' depending on the event organiser.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #12
ENDL3SS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Really does depend on your region when it comes to how diligent tech is done. I was able to run this setup with other orgs in the area just fine though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
Thanks to SYT_Shadow's excellent posts about the BK brackets, I'm going to try the adapters to use my power slides for the f80. Seems like a very easy job to move the wire. Not sure if I can find an E30 window switch these days though.

Anyone know of a good substitute for the E30 window switch?

Also are the Recaro pole position similar to the Nogaro's in terms of working well with the stock seat belts?
ECS has both the OEM (pricy) and non-OEM version of the E30 window switch you could use.

Nogaro I would say is more friendly with the stock seat belts than the Pole Position. If you do get the Pole Position, get the ABE version as it has a bigger side opening to accept the seat belt receptacle.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #13
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

That's interesting. I ran the Scroth QF (also e90 version) in my F30 with NASANE for a couple seasons and they never had a problem with it. Could it be because you have the buckets and not the factory reclining seats? There's something about them being designed for the factory seat and they're not supposed to be used with anything else. Even though you have essentially a factory seat.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 08:51 PM   #14
ENDL3SS
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
That's interesting. I ran the Scroth QF (also e90 version) in my F30 with NASANE for a couple seasons and they never had a problem with it. Could it be because you have the buckets and not the factory reclining seats? There's something about them being designed for the factory seat and they're not supposed to be used with anything else. Even though you have essentially a factory seat.
Funny you mentioned that. If I had the stock factory F80 seat with the QFP, it would be even a bigger no no since the headrest and back rest is a single piece. There's no headrest poles to keep the harness straps from sliding off the sides of the seat. Besides the model specific stock seat the QFP are designed for, they are certified by Schroth to be used with the Cobra Nogaro and Recaro Pole Position ABE.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:54 PM   #15
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Funny you mentioned that. If I had the stock factory F80 seat with the QFP, it would be even a bigger no no since the headrest and back rest is a single piece. There's no headrest poles to keep the harness straps from sliding off the sides of the seat. Besides the model specific stock seat the QFP are designed for, they are certified by Schroth to be used with the Cobra Nogaro and Recaro Pole Position ABE.
Ah. Forgot about that. F30 has the headrest poles. But really, the f30/80 and e90 are so close in design and size, I'm not sure why anyone would make a big deal of the e90 QFP in an f series. Schroth even makes universal 4 and 3 point harnesses with the ASM. It's not that different from one of those being used in an f series. I don't know if they just didn't test the any of the f series or the f series didn't pass the test. But then their site says people can use the Rallye with any approved seat in many cars as long as the downward angle isn't more than they recommend, which I couldn't find on their site. Also there's the consideration they would have to recommend not using their harnesses with something they haven't tested and approved to avoid legal issues. It all makes me want a harness bar or cage just to avoid the potential issues with the QFP.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:39 AM   #16
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

any idea how does the fitment between the Cobra Nogaro and the Recaro Pole Position ABE differ? I am 5 foot 9, 250 lbs with a big back, big, shoulders, big legs and a 38 inch waist. I dont have local dealers to test them out.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      05-30-2023, 10:14 AM   #17
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_w. View Post
any idea how does the fitment between the Cobra Nogaro and the Recaro Pole Position ABE differ? I am 5 foot 9, 250 lbs with a big back, big, shoulders, big legs and a 38 inch waist. I dont have local dealers to test them out.
I'm 6', 185lbs and the Pole position is pretty much perfect for me. I feel like it'd be pretty tight for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 10:23 AM   #18
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

Quote:
For what it’s worth; I sat in a Recaro Pole Position recently. I’m 5’10, 215lbs. Size 36 waist and was not comfortable at all in the Recaro.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 11:22 AM   #19
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80RN View Post
For what it’s worth; I sat in a Recaro Pole Position recently. I’m 5’10, 215lbs. Size 36 waist and was not comfortable at all in the Recaro.
appreciate that.

Any guys with a weight lifters build try the Cobra's?

Is there another seat worth checking out?

As I am getting more comfortable on the track I am noticing more and more the strain it is taking in the car to stay in position in the stock seat.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      05-30-2023, 12:04 PM   #20
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Sat in both back to back (and also with a Pole Position FIA):

PP FIA: Extremely aggressive, I'm 6'0, 175-180lbs and built like smaller Sonny Bill Williams (broad shoulders, very thin waist) and it hugs me like glove with absolutely 0 movement anywhere. This would be a seat I would strongly consider as a track only seat. This will definitely not work with your build though.

PP ABE: Wider waist but narrower shoulders than the FIA version. The side bolsters are cut lower to allow for a 3-point. Overall I did not like the fit as it pinched my shoulders more than the FIAs. I was also not impressed at all with the leather quality, especially for the price. These will likely pinch your shoulders since they're wide.

Cobra Nogaro: Literally 0 support anywhere, if you're looking for lateral support out of a bucket then this is NOT the seat you want. Barely has any bolstering which makes them very easy to get in and out of. So if you want to run a harness and want a very easy seat to live with, this would work.

So which did I like the best? None of those, I found the Sparco Pro2000 fit perfectly with the cushions adjusted into the waist. It also had the flattest shoulder profile of any seat I tried which is great for my build. It is an aggressive seat in the mid section though, so that may not for for you. (I'm 32 at the seat, 28 mid waist, and 40 at the chest).

Last edited by RugbyBro; 05-30-2023 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
phefner367.00
sly1types431.50
      05-30-2023, 03:03 PM   #21
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep

is there another seat worth looking at that will work with the factory seat belt?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 09:20 PM   #22
biofluke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Competition

Quote:
appreciate that.

Any guys with a weight lifters build try the Cobra's?

Is there another seat worth checking out?

As I am getting more comfortable on the track I am noticing more and more the strain it is taking in the car to stay in position in the stock seat.
I was super uncomfortable in the Cobra Nogoro when I sat in D_SheerDrivingPleasure's car. I am 6'1" 200lbs weightlifter build, and the back bolsters were too narrow, it made my shoulders feel like they had to roll forward. It reaffirmed to me that nobody should buy any seats without sitting in them.

OMP makes some seats (without halos) that come in multiple sizes. There is also a new Recaro Podium CF that looks amazing and lightweight, and it comes in different sizes. The Recao's are pretty pricey, but they look like the Senna seats.
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50