Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #1
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Went in for warranty leaking intercooler, dealer says nothing wrong. What do I do?

So, I was walking up to my car one morning and noticed a tiny green droplet of coolant on my exhaust tip. On the inner lip of MPE. I keep the tips very clean so I do notice those things.

I started the car a few times, took it on a few drives, and I always touch the intercooler when idling because it's pretty cool that it stays cold. That was until the last drive. I touched the intercooler and it didn't feel ice cold as it usually does. Kinda warm. I checked my intercooler fluid reservoir tank and it was low. I had to add about 2 full cups of coolant/distilled water mix to get it to full about 28-32 oz I'd say.

I took the car into the BMW dealer I go to a few days before my warranty expired. Talked to my SA.

The dealer did a pressure test overnight and found no leaks. They are saying it's fine and ready to pickup? :

I would hate to take it now out of warranty and have it leak again and then have to pay an out of pocket expense.

The thing I don't get is, I had to add coolant into the reservoir. I thought It was sealed. It should never consume fluid, unless there is a leak. How can it be fine? I'm not sure if it leaks under vacuum or under boost.

What should I do next?

1. Pickup my car, the pressure test is thorough. Maybe, I was mistaken on how much fluid there was to begin with when I bought the car.

2. Ask them to remove the intake manifold to physically check for leaks. Doubt they will just do that, especially during COVID-19 set backs. Especially if the pressure test came out saying there are no leaks.

3. Call BMW North America and make a stink? I probably wont be able to go back to the same dealer again. They will probably hate me.

4. ????

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+

Last edited by papasmurf_m3; 04-06-2020 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Try a different dealer? If there is a problem, it should still be covered by warranty since it was reported to a dealer who failed to diagnose it properly while still under warranty.
      04-06-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

If I were in this situation I would ask them to explain then what could cause the coolant drip from your exhaust and have them check things accordingly. Others on here have said that the pressure test doesn't always pin point the problem (if I recall one poster said the hole was so tiny that the initial pressure test passed)
As for warranty expiring I think as long as you've got the problem on record before warranty was up, they should honor fixing it within a reasonable time past expiration date. I suggest checking the fluid regularly and snapping pics when you check it (date/time/mileage stamp too). Take pics if you notice the drip from the exhaust as well. Then take it back with that supporting material to bolster your case. Good luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0