Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
ufgatorvet
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

iDrive repetitively selects random items over and over

Hi All -

I have an '18 M3, 600 miles on it, and yesterday the iDrive started randomly selecting items, over and over and over. The map was slowly moving across the country over Kansas (or beyond), SiriusXM stations were being selected, until I restarted iDrive by holding in the volume button for 20-30 secs, then it rebooted and all was fine. Prior to this reset, I even pulled over and shut the car off for 1-2 mins, when I started it up again, it continued doing this.

It seemed to happen at the conclusion of navigating to a location, not sure if it ever registered that I was where I was trying to get to.

I was unable to select any menu items as the menu was rapidly and continuously changing. I could hear the audible "click" that it makes when the selector wheel is pressed.

I have videos of this in action- randomly selecting SiriusXM stations, map locations, etc, etc. Let me know if there is a way to share these video clips. I could only find a way to upload pictures to the forums.

I did not have BT activated or any phone connected at the time.

Sorry if this has been discussed; please point me to the relevant discussion.

Thanks for the collective wisdom,
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2226.00
      02-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Those German electrical gremlins at it again.

Turning off the car for a few mins won't do anything for the idrive as it will retain power for something like 15 mins after youth turn off the car. Holding down the volume knob like you did is the best way to instantly reset the unit.

I don't recall seeing a post where someone also had this issue. Keep and eye on it and take the video to your dealer to checkout.
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2226.00
      02-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I’m suspecting that OTA updates (be of map or ConnectedDrive data) are causing the misbehavior in the iDrive because they are both random and persistent for awhile, like they are following a different trigger of some sort but a trigger nevertheless. For example, a particular destination address near my location was automatically entered and selected every time that I stopped to pick up mail in my local Post Office - and only at that particular Post Office- for quite some time. Nowhere else. Never been or entered that address in my iDrive ever, but the Navigation was always taking me there for weeks. Then suddenly it stopped doing that in that parking lot, to then move to another location weeks later - and no other location. Then it stopped again coincidentally after one day the iDrive showing that some data was updated. Not the map data, just “some data”. Map version is the same as before this Nav behavior.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post

Turning off the car for a few mins won't do anything for the idrive as it will retain power for something like 15 mins after youth turn off the car. Holding down the volume knob like you did is the best way to instantly reset the unit.
On my 2015 M4, holding vol button for 15-45s does nothing. Are u sure that works? I usually send a msg to reset HU or if u wait for the car to really sleep, 10-20mns, the HU will shutdown.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboulfad View Post
Quote:

On my 2015 M4, holding vol button for 15-45s does nothing. Are u sure that works? I usually send a msg to reset HU or if u wait for the car to really sleep, 10-20mns, the HU will shutdown.
Oh yeah works every time. Press and hold for what seems like forever. My finger gets tired but it does reboot. I'll time it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #6
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh yeah works every time. Press and hold for what seems like forever. My finger gets tired but it does reboot. I'll time it tomorrow.
I stopped at 30 or 45s, can't recall, which in any case is a stupid time to wait to reset, as no one will by accident press and hold that vol button that long for any reason. I recall we discussed this w some vendors and they agreed that it doesn't work , so curious to hear how long u've waited. I just send a msg that takes ms and boom it resets the OP says it takes 20 to 30 sec to reset... I wonder if it's a recent HU software update or HU model related!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
ufgatorvet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
I’m suspecting that OTA updates (be of map or ConnectedDrive data) are causing the misbehavior in the iDrive because they are both random and persistent for awhile, like they are following a different trigger of some sort but a trigger nevertheless. For example, a particular destination address near my location was automatically entered and selected every time that I stopped to pick up mail in my local Post Office - and only at that particular Post Office- for quite some time. Nowhere else. Never been or entered that address in my iDrive ever, but the Navigation was always taking me there for weeks. Then suddenly it stopped doing that in that parking lot, to then move to another location weeks later - and no other location. Then it stopped again coincidentally after one day the iDrive showing that some data was updated. Not the map data, just “some data”. Map version is the same as before this Nav behavior.
It’s interesting you bring up the post office. That was the location I had set in navi and had just went to/left. Just a coincidence .... unless you live in SC .... ??
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
ufgatorvet
Rep

Quote:
Quickly rebooted iDrive after 30 secs max ... ‘18 M3.

Googled on the road and found this reference while iDrive going nuts. Seemed to work this time. Hope I won’t have to try it again.

Will save video clip in case have to bring it in.
Appreciate 2
aboulfad1592.50
Clark_Kent2226.00
      02-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #9
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
BMW makes nice cars and engines, sucks royally at HU... just bring it in and let them sort it out. A video will definitely get you more traction at a dealer, and is very useful to open a PUMA case to track.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I stopped at 30 or 45s, can't recall, which in any case is a stupid time to wait to reset, as no one will by accident press and hold that vol button that long for any reason. I recall we discussed this w some vendors and they agreed that it doesn't work , so curious to hear how long u've waited. I just send a msg that takes ms and boom it resets the OP says it takes 20 to 30 sec to reset... I wonder if it's a recent HU software update or HU model related!
Timed it this morning. 30 seconds.

HU_NBT2
F020-17-07-502
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2226.00
      02-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Quote:

It does not work on my 15 m4, but does work on my 18 m3 ?
      02-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #12
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
It does not work on my 15 m4, but does work on my 18 m3 ?
That is most interesting, BMW probably finally realized it was stupid to remove that reset feature !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #13
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

There’s a TSB for this...mine is ‘18 F80. Take it to the dealer, it has something to do with the touchscreen.
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2226.00
      02-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #14
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 ZCP

Just wanted to chime in. This started happening for me yesterday. This mornings drive to work was fine, but on the way home it started freaking out again. Oddly enough.. i was driving to the post office, but did not have it in navi.
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2226.00
      02-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #15
jsmattei
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP (Sakhir Orange)

I’m also having this issue with my 18 F80. Very annoying. I’ve rebooted iDrive, disabled the touchscreen, all to no avail. Taking it to dealer this week.

Last edited by jsmattei; 02-21-2018 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #16
jsmattei
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP (Sakhir Orange)

Took it in this morning, has to have the entire terminal and touchscreen replaced. Won’t have my car back until Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #17
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

This happened to me a few days ago and I was able to correct the issue thanks to the information in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #18
karbonM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmattei View Post
Took it in this morning, has to have the entire terminal and touchscreen replaced. Won’t have my car back until Tuesday.
Holy crap, really? Luckily mine has gone away. On a side note... what does the "battery level" looking symbol mean that is in the top left of the screen? It almost looks like it has a refresh symbol in the middle of it. Mine has been on for a week now.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 11:04 PM   #19
Garyd
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgatorvet View Post
Hi All -

I have an '18 M3, 600 miles on it, and yesterday the iDrive started randomly selecting items, over and over and over. The map was slowly moving across the country over Kansas (or beyond), SiriusXM stations were being selected, until I restarted iDrive by holding in the volume button for 20-30 secs, then it rebooted and all was fine. Prior to this reset, I even pulled over and shut the car off for 1-2 mins, when I started it up again, it continued doing this.

It seemed to happen at the conclusion of navigating to a location, not sure if it ever registered that I was where I was trying to get to.

I was unable to select any menu items as the menu was rapidly and continuously changing. I could hear the audible "click" that it makes when the selector wheel is pressed.

I have videos of this in action- randomly selecting SiriusXM stations, map locations, etc, etc. Let me know if there is a way to share these video clips. I could only find a way to upload pictures to the forums.

I did not have BT activated or any phone connected at the time.

Sorry if this has been discussed; please point me to the relevant discussion.

Thanks for the collective wisdom,
Have been experiencing the same issue as above ..And found this thread when trying to find out what the solution is . Can anybody confirm what the fix is /was please ? Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 04:13 AM   #20
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Co/2022 X5 M50i

I had this on my car as well from they I picked it up new. It's a faulty touchscreen. Fix is to get the screen replaced it under warranty
Appreciate 1
ssgm1x417.50
      09-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #21
Garyd
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kier77 View Post
I had this on my car as well from they I picked it up new. It's a faulty touchscreen. Fix is to get the screen replaced it under warranty
Thank you very much for this feedback. Looks like I will have to get mine back to the main dealer ....I just hope it’s a know problem to them otherwise Im sure they will want to see it happen first hand before they replace, and based on my past experiences it will become a bit protracted and result in multiple visits to them.once again many thanks for taking the time to help me ...cheers ...Gary
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 02:04 PM   #22
Cddior91
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kier77 View Post
Thank you very much for this feedback. Looks like I will have to get mine back to the main dealer ....I just hope it's a know problem to them otherwise Im sure they will want to see it happen first hand before they replace, and based on my past experiences it will become a bit protracted and result in multiple visits to them.once again many thanks for taking the time to help me ...cheers ...Gary
Had the same thing happen to my idrive in the first few hundred miles on my 18 F80. I removed CarPlay and nothing ::knockon wood:: since them I'm around 2k likes now and 5 months with the car.
Marketing at Silicon Valley Bimmer
Appreciate 0