Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #89
M5D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016M4

Any thoughts on using the factory filter, but deleting the charcoal one?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 04:29 PM   #90
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5D View Post
Any thoughts on using the factory filter, but deleting the charcoal one?
Replacing both is what's crucial to letting the engine breathe better.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 06:05 AM   #91
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

1st mod when getting the car is Charcoal Filter Delete!
Appreciate 1
GB///M160.00
      09-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #92
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Replacing both is what's crucial to letting the engine breathe better.
But with the charcoal delete, is there really any MORE airflow with the BMC filter vs the paper filter? There is less material with the paper filter
Appreciate 1
GB///M160.00
      10-25-2021, 03:02 AM   #93
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
I just did this last weekend. Here are my tips and hints:

Steps #1 & #3 - The plastic rivets on each side don't have to be removed. After Steps #2 & #4, just swing the trim covers 180 degrees to the side. This is what I've done every time I've swapped brake pads and have to check the brake fluid under the trim cover on the driver side.

Step #6 shows the rubber boots on the top of the strut towers completely removed. You don't have to do that, you only need to move them out of the way so you can access the strut bar bolts. You may have to remove the two rivets on each side that hold the rubber boots in place, and the keeper rivets that hold the cables in place, although this is not indicated in the instructions.

Step #9 - Take a good look at that picture and notice that the airbox screws were not completely removed as it says to do in Step #8. Step #8 should say "Loosen screws until they no longer hold the lid in place." The top half of the airbox screws have a bare shaft with no threads and they are designed to be held captive in the lid when they are loosened. This makes removing and replacing the lid much, much easier, because you're not trying desperately to not drop one of those completely removed screws into the engine bay, never to be seen again. My dumb ass removed the screws completely but at least I didn't lose any!

Steps #14 and #15 - Same as above.

If you do end up taking out any of the plastic rivets, remember to pull out the pin in the middle about halfway before reinstalling them! Then just put the rivet in place and push in the pin. This will make reinstalling them much easier!
Yes I did this today on my (new to me) 2013 M4 coupe and this DIY helped alot. Had a few surprise biggest was that the car already had aftermarket filters installed! As shown in one of attached pics when I finally got to the airboxes on left side found that the car had Eveturi filters installed. Not sure how they compare with BMC filters I had planned to install or not but since I was there and had no idea how long they had been in-place and if re-oiled/cleaned etc...went ahead and changed both sides out for the BMC ones I had purchased. Min cost right for new ones so why not. The charcoal ones had already been removed also so skipped that part/step. I guess also my 1st indication this MAY have been done was that the left hand push rivet was missing on my car but right side was in place..so that had me like hmm?? Check for stickers to suggest aftermarket filters after seeing this again but saw nothing so...proceeded with my Sunday afternoon DIY plans.

Also agree that the step disconnecting the piping was not needed. Just needed on clip and push out the way. Lots of flexibility there to move a few things around without breaking anything. Also removing the CF brace was easy and didn't need to remove the support pieces fully...slid out easy enough. As for air-box screws...only removed one [by mistake] but biggest thing I found was that some of those air-box screws are really deeply recessed and a long T handle may work but for me a long extention bit worked the same as did a flex extension bit driver even a whole lot better to get in there to the deeper air-box screws. Also since it had a magnetized tip that minimized my fear of losing the bit or screws (also did not take them all the way). But yes some of those T#25s are a bit deep in the engine bay so when I got to them I was like oh man...back to the tool chest cause I didn't have a long handle T in my normal inventory of tools. Mental note made. Also my Milwaukee wireless rachet tool battery was dead and wouldn't recharge so note to self to replace that too...or do more DIY jobs so it gets more use.

Hope the BMCs are as good as the ones I replaced but overall another mod box checked off!
Attached Images

'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 06:51 AM   #94
mpower79
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4cs

eventury filter looks good too
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 09:26 AM   #95
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Just did it and charcoal filters removed. Lets see how it runs without them.

For those who are not handy with mechanical stuff it took me 1,5h to do it. It wasn't that bad , you will make it!
Appreciate 0