Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
tcdos
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Does bm3/tuning void aftermarket extended warranties?

Does anyone know if running a tune would void an aftermarket warranty, specifically with Fidelity?

Based on what I've been reading, it seems that after a certain threshold ($1500), then Fidelity would send out a representative to approve the repair. This inspection is completely physical and would not involve inspecting the ECU.

Curious if anyone has any first hand experience with using Fidelity for repairs even with a tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #2
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

My understanding of warranties both OEM and Aftermarket:
If it can be proven that a tune contributed to the failure, then they don't have to stand behind it.
However, If you do an exhaust and your windshield wiper breaks, you should be okay.

Common sense type stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #3
1stockf80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
My understanding of warranties both OEM and Aftermarket:
If it can be proven that a tune contributed to the failure, then they don't have to stand behind it.
However, If you do an exhaust and your windshield wiper breaks, you should be okay.

Common sense type stuff.

Exactly. But spun crank hub and I’m pretty sure your claim is getting denied.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      09-26-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I suspect an aftermarket company is infinitely less well versed in these cars than BMW. If you take it to an indy shop to get repaired I don't see how the insurer would know you are tuned.

BMW knows if you plug it into their computer for anything, but the insurance company doesn't have that computer.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

These insurers aren’t stupid. If potentially on the hook for a $20-30k engine replacement, I have to imagine they’re going to investigate significantly.

I’m pretty certain as well that whatever policy you take out will clearly mention something along the line of repairs being denied for aftermarket add ons. If they ask you about it, and you’ve tuned and deny it, that’s fraud.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stockf80 View Post
Exactly. But spun crank hub and I’m pretty sure your claim is getting denied.
If they discern that you have modded the car with additional HP. If the car is stock you are good to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the funny thing, when I was searching for my ///M here where my requirements:
1) Manual Trans
2) F8x or F9x
3) Comp Pack
4) Car had to be from CARMAX

Why Carmax? Cause I knew my ///M was going to get a shit ton of track use. That was the main purpose of buying one. Carmax warranty is second to none in the industry. They actually cover the car bumper to bumper with a matching warranty to the factory original.

Of course, having mods can easily void this warranty so I just decided to keep it stock other than some insignificant track upgrades like wheels, tires, brake pads, fluids, etc.

I figure I've got 5 years of hassle free track beating.

I have an aftermarket warranty for my Land Rover and while it's paid for itself twice over, it also kind of sucks. It doesn't cover everything. Hoses for examples aren't covered. Fucking hoses. They also don't cover "adjustments" like anything that might need to be slightly reprogrammed like a transmission "clunk".
When they do repair, they don't pay for the cost of a new part. They tell the service station, "We will pay for you to replace with an aftermarket brand and/or replace the part with a used part." They replace it with similar value. So if you have a starter go out or a condenser, they say replace it with a cheap Chinese version or they will pay the value for a used one to the service station.
- It's kind of messed up. Cause Land Rover won't use anything but Land Rover parts and the warranty won't pay for Land Rover new parts even though I bought the extended warranty from a Land Rover dealership.

Soooooo.... Carmax. Keep stock. And I happened to find an 11k mile, mint condition, with 5 more years of warranty which also had a 30 day return policy.
Appreciate 0