ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #45
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Mostly drive the DCT in the manual mode very rarely letting transmission shift itself in auto mode, with that said, the sounds of the exhaust ARE adjustable, from sport to efficient, from 2g shifts to 5g shifts, personally wouldn't see need for after market exhaust since the range of silent to loud would be diminished on the silent mode.

And as far as the amplified 10% in the cabin, that's about as noticeable as yelling in a loud room.

Gotta admit though maybe old school on this, but the sound of stock or aftermarket exhaust being revved while car is parked sounds like shit on any car, guys use to ask me to rev my e60 up in the garage, that even sounded like shit, but on the other hand if it sounds good on the idle, it only gets better with the increase of throttle, like a big block V8 with headers and exhaust, that's sound.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #46
kdphan
Captain
Rep
Drives: everything is gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes480 View Post
I've tried both. Last night I tried Sport Plus, S3 for transmission, hammer throttle until 5k or so, then let off. While it did sound good (and made my son grin ear to ear) I didn't hear anything different.

-X-
I have a 6MT so I'm not sure if it's different.

last night while pulling out of the garage, I just cruised out on 1st gear, my wife said something along the lines of "why is your car farting put put put put?"

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #47
IRNM4N
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I did the exhaust flap mod and drop in filters yesterday and was very pleased when I fired her up today. Love this car!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #48
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

We did a roadtrip throught the mountains a few days ago and I drove behind a friend of mine with stock exhaust on his m3. As much as i love our cars the stock exhaust did not sound that good. Just ok i think. Let me put it this way. It sounds good but it will never win an award for best sounding exhaust of the year there were soms nice setups that i really loved besides my MPE. Akra and AWE sound really good.

Last edited by erind; 07-17-2015 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #49
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Sounds great except when the car is warming up and you give it 3k RPM or more when and it makes that weird ricey vibrating sound (usually gone within 2 minutes of starting up).

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #50
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Sounds great except when the car is warming up and you give it 3k RPM or more when and it makes that weird ricey vibrating sound (usually gone within 2 minutes of starting up).
Doesn't the exhaust flap mod fix that?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #51
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordon335 View Post
Its not artificial sound. Its actual engine noise piped into the cabin. Its not a soundtrack like the M5.
Them fighting words!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #52
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
The is the God's honest truth...

I was driving to work this AM in my stock F80 in D3 and took a curve going about 40...slowed down and car downshifted with resultant "loud as hell"exhaust blip which scared the piss out of me. Luckily, I wasn't holding my coffee at the time...

It was like being awaken from a deep slumber with a fire alarm...so, yes, I have enjoyed the sound since day one.

Your post makes me lust for a DCT so bad!!! Uuuugh!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #53
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon
Quote:
Doesn't the exhaust flap mod fix that?
Not really. It is still a little 'farty' (for lack of a better word) for a minute or two after cold start up. But I try never to drive above 3k RPM until after the needle on the oil temp gauge starts moving/warming up and when my redline turns normal (1 yellow, 2 red bars). If you do that, the engine is protected and you don't have to deal with fart sounds haha

Also, unrelated. Favorite thing about the exhaust is in manual DCT shifting in Sport + transmission in either 2 or 3 setting and you push down a bit more than half way on the throttle in the mid range of the rev band and let off around 3500-4k+ rpm without shifting and it just gurgles and blips.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #54
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Btw, I did the exhaust flap mod, with a twist. I only disconnected one side. So one side is always open, the other side opens on demand. Best of both worlds. Loud startup, even louder sport mode! And I no longer get the stink eye from my neighbors, if God forbid I have to go to work or the gym before they get their lazy asses out of bed!!!
Appreciate 3
      07-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #55
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Who has heard the M2?
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #56
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Not really. It is still a little 'farty' (for lack of a better word) for a minute or two after cold start up. But I try never to drive above 3k RPM until after the needle on the oil temp gauge starts moving/warming up and when my redline turns normal (1 yellow, 2 red bars). If you do that, the engine is protected and you don't have to deal with fart sounds haha

Also, unrelated. Favorite thing about the exhaust is in manual DCT shifting in Sport + transmission in either 2 or 3 setting and you push down a bit more than half way on the throttle in the mid range of the rev band and let off around 3500-4k+ rpm without shifting and it just gurgles and blips.
That is by far the best sound the car makes. A little but of a quick throttle drop so the fuel that you were just sucking through gets vaporized a bit quick haha. Totally doable with the MT in the same rev range too, just with your left foot instead of the paddles. . . Once you engage the clutch (quickly) with the throttle in you get the overage burst sound. By the way these sound names and descriptions are not technical terms I made them all up hahaha.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #57
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
That is by far the best sound the car makes. A little but of a quick throttle drop so the fuel that you were just sucking through gets vaporized a bit quick haha. Totally doable with the MT in the same rev range too, just with your left foot instead of the paddles. . . Once you engage the clutch (quickly) with the throttle in you get the overage burst sound. By the way these sound names and descriptions are not technical terms I made them all up hahaha.
I was able to do it in 4th gear. Now that I have the valve controller I can do it in 7th gear on the highway. It bangs like crazy with the MPE
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #58
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Btw, I did the exhaust flap mod, with a twist. I only disconnected one side. So one side is always open, the other side opens on demand. Best of both worlds. Loud startup, even louder sport mode! And I no longer get the stink eye from my neighbors, if God forbid I have to go to work or the gym before they get their lazy asses out of bed!!!
GENIUS!!! I'm gonna try this too!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #59
Ray knight
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

i prefer my F80 sound over my F10 M5. The M5 had a muffler delete and sounded good but the M3 sounds really crazy and angry. more aggressive.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #60
Seattle135is
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 997 Turbo  [0.00]
Agree with OP - the sound is dope - I did the exhaust hack, then JB4/DP's - that was loud - had to reconnect the exhaust valves and now control thru' the JB4 - best of all worlds - just open the valves on demand - thru' tunnels or when I have the urge to scare the crap into pedestrians.
2013 135is - LeMans Blue/Gray
2003 M5 (56k miles) - CB/Black
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #61
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

I like the sound also, but I am going to turn my active sound off tonight after getting my awe exhaust to see how it sounds.

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #62
NiceGuyEddie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I have had my M4 for 7 months, and the exhaust note is probably my least favorite feature of the car. It is also my least favorite of the 6 M cars I previously owned.

I think this vid provides some good context in that respect:

I am still partial to the exhaust note of the e92 V8, naturally. Here's to hoping I will warm up to the fartiness of the S55.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #63
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i've been thinking about getting an F80 M3 as a 2nd 'family car' to join my stable next year---but honestly i've heard many in person now and it does NOT sound good....probably one of the worst sounding BMWs i've ever heard....sorry!

I may still end up getting one, but really would need to find a way to improve the sound. It sounds like ducks farting.

are there good aftermarket solutions for it?

Last edited by IEDEI; 07-22-2015 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 3
      07-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #64
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i've been thinking about getting an F80 M3 as a 2nd 'family car' to join my stable next year---but honestly i've heard many in person now and it does NOT sound good....probably one of the worst sounding BMWs i've ever heard....sorry!

I may still end up getting one, but really would need to find a way to improve the sound. It sounds like ducks farting.

are there good aftermarket solutions for it?
AWE and MPE are my favorite exhausts. I think AWE sounds awesome but i went with the MPE. The farting sound is now replaced with "rifle shots" when you change gears. I love it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #65
r3zon8
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 AW

First let me clear, I currently drive an E92 M3 w/DCT. and a MPE. Rest of the car is fully stock engine wise. Cosmetics don't count. What I'm personally weighing back and forth in my head is how an F82 sounds compared to what I drive today. That being said, those who come from my exact car today and have jumped into an F82 immediately noticed that the car sounded very different. Most E92 owners will say it sound worse. Some have said they prefer the new sounds. Both statements hold water.

Is that good or bad? That's up to you to decide. Before the MPE I thought my car sounded great, but I think it sounds way better now. Maybe I'll love the F82, maybe I'll hate it. But if I'm going off what most other e92 owners(like me) with similar mods and similar driving style like me(not a daily driver, occasional HPDE) have stated, then I'm predisposed to think I will not prefer the new sounds to the old sounds.

Add that to what I've heard on the street of other F82s passing me by(because I'm slower lol) then I know I will not like it.

Before I ever thought I'd ever even own an E92 M3 and they would pull up next to me I would slow down and turn my radio off and put my window down just so I could hear that car. It would make my day. Today when F80/F82's pull up next or we meet at a red light I just smile and nod. I think my reaction alone tells 'me' what I think about the new sounds.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #66
Seattle135is
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 SL 55 AMg  [0.00]
2007 Porsche 997 Turbo  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3zon8 View Post
First let me clear, I currently drive an E92 M3 w/DCT. and a MPE. Rest of the car is fully stock engine wise. Cosmetics don't count. What I'm personally weighing back and forth in my head is how an F82 sounds compared to what I drive today. That being said, those who come from my exact car today and have jumped into an F82 immediately noticed that the car sounded very different. Most E92 owners will say it sound worse. Some have said they prefer the new sounds. Both statements hold water.

Is that good or bad? That's up to you to decide. Before the MPE I thought my car sounded great, but I think it sounds way better now. Maybe I'll love the F82, maybe I'll hate it. But if I'm going off what most other e92 owners(like me) with similar mods and similar driving style like me(not a daily driver, occasional HPDE) have stated, then I'm predisposed to think I will not prefer the new sounds to the old sounds.

Add that to what I've heard on the street of other F82s passing me by(because I'm slower lol) then I know I will not like it.

Before I ever thought I'd ever even own an E92 M3 and they would pull up next to me I would slow down and turn my radio off and put my window down just so I could hear that car. It would make my day. Today when F80/F82's pull up next or we meet at a red light I just smile and nod. I think my reaction alone tells 'me' what I think about the new sounds.
Get ready to keep your V8 E92 forever then – FI is the present and the future – the medium to long term future probably will have a combo of FI and electric – OMG a hybrid M! – gonna have to keep my F82 forever then!
2013 135is - LeMans Blue/Gray
2003 M5 (56k miles) - CB/Black
Appreciate 0