BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-23-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

F82 M4 Need to Knows

Hi everyone,

I just ordered the F82 M4 and I was wondering if there is anything I need to know such as engine failures or anything that I should out for? I was in an E92 335i for a few years and they had issues with their HPFP and gasket issues relating to oil. I had brought that car into maintenance plenty of time and was wondering if anything I should be careful about on the new M4?

Another thing I have researched is that the internals are forged and I have seen some twin turbo swaps and engine tuned to produced crazy 700 WHP and it still runs great! That is good because I am currently coming from a Subaru STi and have heard all these horror stories of blown ringlands and rod bearing issues, even on stock motors. I have even heard of the infamous rod bearing issues for the e9x M3 as well.

Of course everyone always recommends keeping it stock if I was really worried but I am currently on a stage 3 protune 2015 STi, had a stage 2+ 335i and a stage 2 2004 STi for 9 years. I am probably not going to keep the M4 stock for long but 400+ HP is definitely a whole new ballpark for me, maybe I will keep it stock. It definitely pays to play and I agree with that. With that said, what is the warranty on a M4 (could just look at BMWUSA.com, just wondering)?

Anything else I should know that would be helpful?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 01:58 AM   #2
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
a M4 isn't a STI.

There isn't anything major you should worry about unless you are pushing the S55 towards a territory it isn't designed to be at. There might be some people on the forums that will reply later and tell you other wise, but believe me if there is any major "defects" for the F80/F82. If there is people on the forums will complain loudly about it because that is what everyone tends to do online, whine and complain a lot.

Don't worry.
      10-23-2016, 02:07 AM   #3
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks,

Of course the M4 is not a STi. I definitely know that they are a world of difference, not just performance and luxury, but also the people. I have also seen numbers and plenty of STi vs. M3 threads, I am just looking for limitations of the M4 and what I can do powerwise or if there are any weak links in the motor I should watch out for. You are absolutely correct on people will voice things loud on the interweb as well. I am taking that with a grain of salt. I have treated my STi with care and it last for sure, same goes with all cars. I am probably looking for a tune and maybe downpipes and be done. Nothing too crazy such as turbo swaps or anything. If I can get an extra 50 to 100 WHP then I would be done with power, I might not even need it, learning about the car is a just in case scenario.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 02:58 AM   #4
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Power wise, the few things off the top of my head that you would want to know (based on your post).

1) Your first mods will probably be downpipes and tune

2) DCT can't handle more than 550 + wtq without slipping

3) You're probably going to get a manual so ignore 2.

The more recent issues like spun crankshaft and diff leak, I have heard has been fixed. These cars are solid. I have an F80 with 12k on the clock and even my mom has one with 27k miles.

If you'd like, you can pm me your number and we can discuss
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 03:18 AM   #5
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks a lot! I have seen a post about a spun crankshaft and have not heard anythign about a diff leak. I hope these 2 have been fixed and I also hope that there are no other issues. To respond to your post:

1) I am actually thinking of black kidney grilles, fender badges, and rear badge. A rear diffuser that is black instead of carbon fiber. Or heck, maybe just get the CF one.

2) Well, I guess I will only do downpipes + tune since I did order the car with DCT.

Can you guys also recommend places to get mods? I used JGmods and **********s when modding my previously owned e92 335i. Trying to find more places such as BurgerTuning for the JB4, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
Thanks a lot! I have seen a post about a spun crankshaft and have not heard anythign about a diff leak. I hope these 2 have been fixed and I also hope that there are no other issues. To respond to your post:

1) I am actually thinking of black kidney grilles, fender badges, and rear badge. A rear diffuser that is black instead of carbon fiber. Or heck, maybe just get the CF one.

2) Well, I guess I will only do downpipes + tune since I did order the car with DCT.

Can you guys also recommend places to get mods? I used JGmods and **********s when modding my previously owned e92 335i. Trying to find more places such as BurgerTuning for the JB4, etc.
The spun crackshaft mostly has to do with early adopters. Early 2016 to 2014 models, but even those the failure rates are low enough that you shouldn't blink an eye or care much for. As I said, people online whine and complain a lot so people tend to blow things out of portion a lot more then normal.

The diff is suppose to be fixed or repaired as BMW stopped delivery for about a few weeks to identify/send/repair the problem. So if your car is effected, which it shouldn't be at the moment, BMW would notify you regardless.
      10-26-2016, 06:30 AM   #7
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
A rear diffuser that is black instead of carbon fiber. Or heck, maybe just get the CF one.

If you go black on the diffuser save yourself some money and just paint the stock one with Plastidip until you make your final move. Gives the back of the car a better look for $6. Also while your down there grab a can of VHT header paint and paint the ugly exhaust can black too. Makes a world of difference.

As far as where to get mods there are tons of great forum supporting vendors. I have bought from a few of them and always get great service and pricing. Just check out the sponsored classified section.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #8
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^---Wow, I guess you get a lot of noobies asking the same thing. You don't have to be so sarcastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1857 View Post
If you go black on the diffuser save yourself some money and just paint the stock one with Plastidip until you make your final move. Gives the back of the car a better look for $6. Also while your down there grab a can of VHT header paint and paint the ugly exhaust can black too. Makes a world of difference.

As far as where to get mods there are tons of great forum supporting vendors. I have bought from a few of them and always get great service and pricing. Just check out the sponsored classified section.
Thanks for the info and Plastidipping the rear stock diffuser. I never thought about that, awesome idea. I have actually start browsing the classified for days now, thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Why stop there? Plastidip the whole car... you can use the VHT header paint on your chrome bits to give that formidable ricer, I mean racer look too...

*You can purchase a full carbon fiber rear M-replica rear diffuser about as good as factory for $233 off eBay for Christ sakes dude, for the love of god don't touch anywhere on your M4 with plastidip... you've evolved beyond Subaru's grasshopper lol
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Quote:
^---Wow, I guess you get a lot of noobies asking the same thing. You don't have to be so sarcastic...

Thanks for the info and Plastidipping the rear stock diffuser. I never thought about that, awesome idea. I have actually start browsing the classified for days now, thanks again.
I am not being sarcastic. These are the types of things you need to know. Browse through some threads and you will see.

+1 on the plastidip though. Puts a nice touch on a $70k + car.....
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #11
PAWOLF
Private
Rep
Drives: F82

I just died laughing at this LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM3 View Post
Being that I am a professional forum browser this is what I have come up with.

-If your car is clean and it rains, your rear bumper gets dirty and that is BS!

-Not enough cup holders

-As soon as you get the car, before leaving the dealership, you MUST make an instagram account JUST for your car.

-Crankhub!

-Buy lots of carbon

-Make sure you lie to your dealership when you mod the car and have a problem.

-Crankhub!

-Any small issue you may have with your car make sure you complain about it immediately! Be sure to post on the forum first before letting the dealer fix it though. The professional internet technicians here are the best!

-Threaten for a lawsuit or lemon anytime you have a problem. Even if its for not enough cupholders....

-OMG OMG Crankhub!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
I also forgot. I know you Subaru guys love to vape. BMW owners don't, so you can stop doing that.

However you must also blast BPM evetytime you are in the car and remove the fuses for your turn signals.
Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #13
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:

He's pretty much spot on

That and add some stuff about springs, spacers, JB4 and yeah, your car will throw a code with downpipes

Pretty much the basics

definitely create an IG for nothing but your car lol
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
jetsetkicks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
I also forgot. I know you Subaru guys love to vape. BMW owners don't, so you can stop doing that.

However you must also blast BPM evetytime you are in the car and remove the fuses for your turn signals.
lolololol I'm dead
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #15
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
Why stop there? Plastidip the whole car... you can use the VHT header paint on your chrome bits to give that formidable ricer, I mean racer look too...

*You can purchase a full carbon fiber rear M-replica rear diffuser about as good as factory for $233 off eBay for Christ sakes dude, for the love of god don't touch anywhere on your M4 with plastidip... you've evolved beyond Subaru's grasshopper lol
Well, I don't want the rear diffuser to be the only CF thing if I am goign with the gloss black kidney grilles and fender badges and chrome black trunk badge. I will just buy the black diffuser or paint it black instead of plasti dip. I can afford a +70K car, the CF rear is nothing I need to cheap out on. I just want it to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post

He's pretty much spot on

That and add some stuff about springs, spacers, JB4 and yeah, your car will throw a code with downpipes

Pretty much the basics

definitely create an IG for nothing but your car lol
I have seen H&R springs and Macht Schnell spacers. It gives it a clean look. Are you saying don't do this? Is the JB4 and downpipes also a bad route? I used to have a Cobb AP for my E92 at stage 2+ but the JB4 yielded much more power....with a CEL?

Quote:

Yea, Subaru guys love to vape, I don't however vape. Interesting...Lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #16
Alvinized52
@ste4lthedF82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 SSII

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin | AutoTalent View Post
Power wise, the few things off the top of my head that you would want to know (based on your post).

1) Your first mods will probably be downpipes and tune

2) DCT can't handle more than 550 + wtq without slipping

3) You're probably going to get a manual so ignore 2.

The more recent issues like spun crankshaft and diff leak, I have heard has been fixed. These cars are solid. I have an F80 with 12k on the clock and even my mom has one with 27k miles.

If you'd like, you can pm me your number and we can discuss
WTF?! You have 12K miles already?! I barely have 8K miles on mine.. I gotta get out more... LOL!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:07 AM   #17
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvinized52 View Post
WTF?! You have 12K miles already?! I barely have 8K miles on mine.. I gotta get out more... LOL!
Daily driver haha!

I go to school in Fullerton and work in LA now

Come through to Cars and Cafe this Sunday
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 02:47 PM   #18
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wait, I never got the answer of a CEL code tripping with downpipes. Even with a JB4 or an engine management, will I still show CELs? I'm trying to learn the right way in going about mods and not want to do it wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #19
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Wait, I never got the answer of a CEL code tripping with downpipes. Even with a JB4 or an engine management, will I still show CELs? I'm trying to learn the right way in going about mods and not want to do it wrong.
JB4 will not let the MIL/CEL appear on the dash
      11-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #20
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
I am running with bootmod3 and their Stage 2 maps will not set a CEL in the dash.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #21
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin | AutoTalent View Post
Daily driver haha!

I go to school in Fullerton and work in LA now

Come through to Cars and Cafe this Sunday
Where is this Cars and Coffee you speak of? (w/ God-like voice) (Thunder)
      11-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #22
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:

I have seen H&R springs and Macht Schnell spacers. It gives it a clean look. Are you saying don't do this? Is the JB4 and downpipes also a bad route? I used to have a Cobb AP for my E92 at stage 2+ but the JB4 yielded much more power....with a CEL?
Cant speak for HR springs but the MS/BMS/VRSF/Turner spacers are all great. 15front/12rear will give it a flush look.

I run a JB4 with the connect Bluetooth app with downpipes and it's great. It'll suppress the CEL on the dash but a code will still register if you hook it up to a scanner. However mine took over 3k miles for a code to pop up. If you like the Cobb, the JB4 with the connect kit or the Bootmod3 are both great options. I dyno'd 525/583trq with the JB4 (on map2), downpipes, stock exhaust and some E85.
Appreciate 0