Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #23
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
The passive suspension is similar in damping/harshness to sport on the adjustable but will ride a bit worse due to the adaptives actually doing something. Sounds like you should have gotten that option. I find the passive suspension to ride just fine - it's certainly a bit stiff over small bumps, but not uncomfortably so.

Ride quality is subjective, especially because most of us aren't driving on the same streets as you are, but I've ridden in early GT-Rs and even the 2015 rides a lot worse than the M3 with the passive setup.
You are absolutely right, I should have made sure this option was mandatory on my wish list. Didn't end up happening. The car has every other option except for this (ironically). The crap roads we have here due to winter freeze and thaw do not benefit this car.

I'm sure there is an aftermarket solution out there, KW V3's with custom springs / valving, or JRZ Setup with mild linear springs. I don't track my cars, nor do I care for full blown track suspensions, like many others who buy this car for that setup. If I'm the first to try out something new for the m3, who knows, maybe a handful of individuals would be right behind me to get the same comfort I'm looking for, without switching to a lexus/7-series. 25% softer than the current passive setup would be my definition of "perfect".

Last edited by Kartelli; 12-01-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #24
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Not going to happen.

You need softer springs and probably softer dampers and to be at the same ride height as stock

Maybe a set of aftermarket dampers with stock springs wojld work once they are released

Stiffer spring rates and any lowering will not improve ride
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #25
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Not going to happen.

You need softer springs and probably softer dampers and to be at the same ride height as stock

Maybe a set of aftermarket dampers with stock springs wojld work once they are released

agreed (aftermarket dampers), not looking to lower the car, stock ride height is fine Lets see how 2015 plays out with R&D.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
BPe90M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AW e92 M3

Sorry to hear you hate it so much. In my opinion.... I love it. I live in North NJ/NYC suburbs so the roads are horrible too. I guess I'm just used to having to duck every crack in the road. Plus I like the feeling of a raw suspension. I guess it doesn't bother my young blood too much
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #27
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPe90M3 View Post
Sorry to hear you hate it so much. In my opinion.... I love it. I live in North NJ/NYC suburbs so the roads are horrible too. I guess I'm just used to having to duck every crack in the road. Plus I like the feeling of a raw suspension. I guess it doesn't bother my young blood too much
haha I'm getting old Used to be the same way 10 years ago!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 11:10 PM   #28
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitw View Post
No way. No aftermarket suspension will ever come close to the stock ride quality - no one has the hours into suspension design that the original manufacturer does.

My KW v3s ride AMAZINGLY well for aftermarket coilovers but they are not some magic carpet ride. There is certainly room to make the car handle better in terms of damping and body roll, but it is not going to absorb bumps better. Good coilovers not be much worse, but it's always a compromise.
Hmm, I had KW V2 on my 5series. It rode better than stock and it was a soft ride to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #29
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I have the passive suspension. And compared to my E92 with passive, this thing feels like a luxury car. This is the reason we bought an F80 (4-door) to use as a daily driver... because it's so plush compared to the M's before.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 04:10 AM   #30
castilla
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

I have adaptive suspension in my car its currently at 1400km.When i switched from comfort to sport plus i dont feel any big difference..Is it something about suspension break-in period? Or its just dont have big effect on car?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #31
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

A set of springs and shocks from a standard 3 series would fix this problem. I'd go find a 3 M Sport and drive it and see if your satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #32
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by castilla View Post
I have adaptive suspension in my car its currently at 1400km.When i switched from comfort to sport plus i dont feel any big difference..Is it something about suspension break-in period? Or its just dont have big effect on car?
Testing driving the mule a the dealership (with adaptive suspension), it had 4500 kms on it, felt a fair bit difference from comfort to sport+. It may have to do with the break in period for you, which could also be subjective, I'm getting mixed messages from the forum and from the dealer regarding what to expect after the break in period.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #33
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I have 7500 kms on my car and do notice a difference in the settings.The 1st car that I ordered did not have the adaptive by mistake and I refused to take it and decided to wait for new order.I am happy that I waited!

Last edited by Gearhead999s; 12-03-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #34
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
I have the passive suspension. And compared to my E92 with passive, this thing feels like a luxury car. This is the reason we bought an F80 (4-door) to use as a daily driver... because it's so plush compared to the M's before.
how many miles on your F80?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #35
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
how many miles on your F80?
900miles. Took delivery on Nov 5th.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #36
Brings
Clap Trap~
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '93 NSX

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that feels that way! I feel like my F80 (w/ stock 18s) with the passive suspension is one of the stiffest factory cars I've owned so far - even stiffer feeling/less compliant than both my GTR and GT3. I also have an M4 with adaptive suspension in the family and that one is noticeably smoother on rough roads. Almost makes me wish I went with the adaptive suspension instead.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #37
Ferdampedochmal
Registered
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Not going to happen.

Hi there, what do you think about the Koni FSDs? Objective being: improving ride comfort on passive suspension without sacrificing performance characteristics.

But I'm don't think they had Koni FSDs for the e92 m3 which leads me to believe that there won't be one for the f82...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #38
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I had built mine with the adaptive but ended up not getting it, decided to go with passive suspension and just ordered the V3's. Had the V3's on my E92 and these things are so good.

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #39
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
Testing driving the mule a the dealership (with adaptive suspension), it had 4500 kms on it, felt a fair bit difference from comfort to sport+. It may have to do with the break in period for you, which could also be subjective, I'm getting mixed messages from the forum and from the dealer regarding what to expect after the break in period.
I can't see it being very much different after the break in period. If that were the case one would think that many complaints would come up with ppl withe the passive system could be saying ride is soggy and lean's more "now" after break in.

Good luck. I hope you find a solution that works for you. That's a major bummer to be in that situation, being unhappy and just having one extra box ticked on the order would have solved it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #40
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Hi Kartelli,

what tires are you using? RunFlats?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #41
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS_KW automotive Germany View Post
Hi Kartelli,

what tires are you using? RunFlats?
run flats do not come on M cars. these days they come with Michelin PSS tires.

question for you on your v3 coilovers for the f8x cars. how much shorter than the stock length struts/shocks are your struts/shocks? in order to accommodate the exact same amount of suspension travel as stock, how much lower would the car be? interested in these numbers for front/rear.

kind of asking the same question in two different ways, but thanks in advance.
      12-22-2014, 12:48 AM   #42
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

OP

OEM passive suspension is mass produced suspension intended for a wide customer base.

A proper coil over with ride height compression and rebound is obviously going to work better than a fixed non adjustable set up.

The V3 is very compliant for road use and performance orientated requirements.

I have club sports installed on my M4, and although firm, there is zero bounciness and the suspension works fantastically well. Was hard at first but I dialed back compression settings slightly and it's great.

By being able to set heights, allows you to get balance setting right. I would suggest a corner weight set up to really transform the handling characteristics of the car. Get someone to do this for you and you will be happy no doubt at all.

You'll be thankful that you ordered passive just because you were able to install a coil over without the EDC being an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #43
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated

I have a few more miles on the car, it is definitely "breaking in" and loosening up abit more, I'd say its already 10% better.

I'm going to give it to 5000 km's then swap them out if I'm still not happy (car has 1000 kms on it). It's been a slow process as its winter outside!

V3's will be the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob MG View Post
OP

OEM passive suspension is mass produced suspension intended for a wide customer base.

A proper coil over with ride height compression and rebound is obviously going to work better than a fixed non adjustable set up.

The V3 is very compliant for road use and performance orientated requirements.

I have club sports installed on my M4, and although firm, there is zero bounciness and the suspension works fantastically well. Was hard at first but I dialed back compression settings slightly and it's great.

By being able to set heights, allows you to get balance setting right. I would suggest a corner weight set up to really transform the handling characteristics of the car. Get someone to do this for you and you will be happy no doubt at all.

You'll be thankful that you ordered passive just because you were able to install a coil over without the EDC being an issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #44
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I may be getting old but I found the V3 to be too stiff for me on my e92 as a street car. I longed for my EDC and actually was so happy when I put back my comp pack suspension. The KW performed amazing but I love my adjustable dampers for the street.

Except for ride height I have no issues with the stock adaptive.
Appreciate 0