Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
MrMoose
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT

Question Side view mirror disassembly DIY?

Anyone know how to take apart the side view mirrors?

I searched but most threads were about replacing just the mirror caps.

I got the mirror cap off easily, but not exactly sure how to proceed with the rest of it... my lower housing got destroyed so I'm not sure if some things got pushed out of place. There were two screws holding the lower assembly in, which I removed, not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #2
MrMoose
Rep

Anyone?

https://dz310nzuyimx0.cloudfront.net...753911e145.png

I have parts #7, 5, and 9 removed already but am stuck here... #8 & #6 is what i'm trying to remove.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
MrMoose
Rep

Solved it!

Here's a general recap, sorry for the lack of detail as this is from memory.. there are wires along the way that need to be unplugged, they should be fairly obvious and easy to remove. I don't mention them below as I can't remember the details, but again they should be obvious.

1) Remove mirror cap (part #9 from link above)
2) Remove mirror - tilt it forward, pull away gently by hand
3) Remove torx screws that are revealed (there are ~5, they should be obvious)
4) The supporting ring (part #5) should come off easily
5) There are a few torx screws holding the lower housing in place (part #6 and 8, they are pretty much 1 piece), remove those.
6) Now this is where I got stuck... the lower housing feels like it's still connected at the hinge, but there's actually nothing else holding it in place. You just have to wiggle the housing a bit and work it away from the hinge. It'll be easier to do if you fold the mirror in first. If you have the surround camera, be mindful of the wire connected to it.

Hope this is helpful!
Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00
      05-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
MrMoose
Rep

One more very important tip when reassembling everything:

The lower housing slides on the same way it came off, BUT - you need to lift the entire sideview mirror assembly slightly to have it slide into place and have all the plastic posts slide into the metal holes. If you don't do this, they won't line up. I spent a couple of hours trying to figure this out before I figured it out. Hope I spare someone the trouble!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
OEMJumper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Space Grey F15 M Sport

im bringing this thread back to life! thanks for you DIY steps and instructions! I am REALLY struggling lining up the lower half of the mirror with the mirror ring !! super frustrating. it just wont line up on the underside and turn signal corner portion.

Can you elaborate some more on the last post?? greatly appreciated !
      01-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #6
MrMoose
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMJumper View Post
im bringing this thread back to life! thanks for you DIY steps and instructions! I am REALLY struggling lining up the lower half of the mirror with the mirror ring !! super frustrating. it just wont line up on the underside and turn signal corner portion.

Can you elaborate some more on the last post?? greatly appreciated !
Pull up on the assembly and the top part of it will lift a bit, allowing the ring to slide in.
Appreciate 1
NORAGRETS427.00