Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

03-26-2023, 08:28 AM   #1
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 m3 competition

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Hi all, I have a 2017 m3 competition, for the most part I’m very happy with the car it’s very capable and comfortable at the same time. It always making me smile at the end of a sequence of tight turns.

The only down side I’m finding is it’s very floaty at higher speeds, and doesn’t do bumps well.
I have had a test drive in a bilstien b16 equipped m3, and I’ll be honest, I’ve struggled to notice how much better the handling was due to how rattly the car was. I actually felt like there was no suspension at all it was that stiff, I could not live with it at all.

I also tried the evolve x b6, the overall ride was perfect no faults, except the ride hight was just to high for my personal preference.

Leaving me with what I believe to be my best option, the kw ddc.

Now I really do want to retain my edc function, and I also want to keep the car as comfortable as possible yet improve handling and body control.
So from what I have read the ddc delivers, but I’d like to hear your experiences on how you felt it improved the performance and how comfortable it was in comfort.

It’s looking to cost £4,300 fitted, so I wanna get it right first time.

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #2
Nyc911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997.1

I have the KW DDC fitted w millway street camber plates and several SPS components on my CS.

The car sees some light track days and NYC driving, I can drive in sport mode all day in NYC and comfort is softer than regular comfort.
Sport+ feels great on smooth roads or tracks.

I would say the dampening is the biggest improvement where the stock suspension would feel unsettled taking a dip in the street or track the KW DDC settles very quickly and absorbs the uneasiness.

It’s softer than the bilstein b16, I’ve never tried the m3 version but run b16 w PASM on my 911 and the KW are softer and not in a bad way.

If you’re in London the KW DDC will be more bearable. You will need spacers for the rear springs if you’re in a m3 the highest rear setting on the sedan was very tucked and made city driving difficult.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2023, 08:04 PM   #3
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Can confirm it’s an excellent street setup though it’s so comfortable I don’t sense much difference between the suspension modes.

Also agree on the F80 ride height in the rear. I bought a 25mm spacer set for the rear and have plenty of adjustment available so that they’re not too low.

You can’t go wrong with these unless you’re looking for something more track oriented.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 03:21 PM   #4
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Can either of you please explain how spacers would help with ride height? Unless I misunderstood something?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 01:30 PM   #5
Nyc911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Can either of you please explain how spacers would help with ride height? Unless I misunderstood something?
It’s a spring spacer for the rear spring perch, basically makes it 15-25mm taller stack height depending on the spacer you purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 02:17 AM   #6
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Would you guys mind posting some side pics of your cars. I’m currently on eibach springs and I’m quite happy with the rear height.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 01:12 PM   #7
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

I went through the same dilemma. Started my journey installing eibach pro kit euro v1. They were fine but I noticed that I would feel a lot of body roll and sloppiness. Did the rabbit hole research bt b16, kw ddc, evolve combo before I found a few people running Nitrons. I talked to the local track performance shop and all of the guys have swapped from MCS to nitrons recently and love them. I ended up ordering Nitron r1s with 600/800 springs and I love it. I was very fearful of the cheap bouncy coilovers feel and these are far from it. It was night and day difference bt these coils and stock edc + eibachs. The build quality on the Nitron are top notch and they come with everything, end links, camber plates, etc. Highly recommend. Currently breaking them in and will go back for alignment and final adjustments but after 200 miles I love them!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 06:27 PM   #8
Nyc911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshawf80 View Post
Would you guys mind posting some side pics of your cars. I’m currently on eibach springs and I’m quite happy with the rear height.
Here you go
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-08-2023, 12:17 AM   #9
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1284 View Post
I went through the same dilemma. Started my journey installing eibach pro kit euro v1. They were fine but I noticed that I would feel a lot of body roll and sloppiness. Did the rabbit hole research bt b16, kw ddc, evolve combo before I found a few people running Nitrons. I talked to the local track performance shop and all of the guys have swapped from MCS to nitrons recently and love them. I ended up ordering Nitron r1s with 600/800 springs and I love it. I was very fearful of the cheap bouncy coilovers feel and these are far from it. It was night and day difference bt these coils and stock edc + eibachs. The build quality on the Nitron are top notch and they come with everything, end links, camber plates, etc. Highly recommend. Currently breaking them in and will go back for alignment and final adjustments but after 200 miles I love them!
The only problem with Nitron is the service interval. It seems like a PITA to remove and ship the dampers out every 1.5 years :/
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 08:40 AM   #10
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I just pulled my edc setup and installed mcs 2wnr and my initial impression around town is it's more comfortable than stock. firm but back to back compared to my buddies cayenne the mcs were better. This is the standard bimmerworld front and rear coilover setup with 6 inch main spring and helpers.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 10:35 AM   #11
mikey914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

I’ve had my DDC installed for about 3 months now living in NYC. They ride incredible, better than stock, absorb bumps very well. My only gripe is that in sport plus, it’s still not that stiff and still has some decent body roll, sloppiness when flooring it WOT. They are amazing though and I love being able to control it from the console.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 05:31 AM   #12
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey914 View Post
I’ve had my DDC installed for about 3 months now living in NYC. They ride incredible, better than stock, absorb bumps very well. My only gripe is that in sport plus, it’s still not that stiff and still has some decent body roll, sloppiness when flooring it WOT. They are amazing though and I love being able to control it from the console.
Hi thanks for your response. Would you say there much improvement over stock in terms of performance? I find stock quite floaty. I’m getting a sense there more a comfort coilover.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 10:48 AM   #13
AutoRalph
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I have these for sale, used 400km for minor track use.

Hi, ive had these on my car for the last year. i do not daily it and it is only for track use. i am selling the car and going a different route. will be putting the stock suspension back on.

i am willing to sell them for $4750 CAD shipped. message me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 01:07 PM   #14
DeTh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [10.00]
I've got my set for sale too, and sound way less suspicious than the guy above me!!
      04-28-2023, 09:30 AM   #15
mikey914
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Hi thanks for your response. Would you say there much improvement over stock in terms of performance? I find stock quite floaty. I’m getting a sense there more a comfort coilover.
I feel they ride more comfortable than the factory competition suspension. Slightly firmer on sport plus. More comfy on comfort and sport. They honestly ride incredible. I just want a bit better handling during turns/flooring it wide open throttle. I think some upgrades sway bars and poly bushings will help
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 03:36 PM   #16
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
I feel they ride more comfortable than the factory competition suspension. Slightly firmer on sport plus. More comfy on comfort and sport. They honestly ride incredible. I just want a bit better handling during turns/flooring it wide open throttle. I think some upgrades sway bars and poly bushings will help
So would you say it’s a down grade from stock competition spec ?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 02:27 AM   #17
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
But just to be clear there is an improvement in handling vs stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 03:11 AM   #18
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTh View Post
I've got my set for sale too, and sound way less suspicious than the guy above me!!
Yeah I’m not sure what they retail in the us, but I can get them £3,000 new in the uk.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 03:43 AM   #19
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc911 View Post
I have the KW DDC fitted w millway street camber plates and several SPS components on my CS.

The car sees some light track days and NYC driving, I can drive in sport mode all day in NYC and comfort is softer than regular comfort.
Sport+ feels great on smooth roads or tracks.

I would say the dampening is the biggest improvement where the stock suspension would feel unsettled taking a dip in the street or track the KW DDC settles very quickly and absorbs the uneasiness.

It’s softer than the bilstein b16, I’ve never tried the m3 version but run b16 w PASM on my 911 and the KW are softer and not in a bad way.

If you’re in London the KW DDC will be more bearable. You will need spacers for the rear springs if you’re in a m3 the highest rear setting on the sedan was very tucked and made city driving difficult.
Quote:
Here you go
Thanks for all the info, would you say that there is an improvement in handling performance over stock.
I like the sound of comfort mode being better than stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 08:02 AM   #20
Nyc911
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the info, would you say that there is an improvement in handling performance over stock.
I like the sound of comfort mode being better than stock.
Major improvement over stock CS suspension never been in any other M3’s so couldn’t comment.

The improvement on the streets I find very compelling. If it was a dedicated track car you can spend less or same for a better track set up but o would imagine street driving would be tough.

Comfort is plush now, I find myself in sport 90% of the time in NYC

The dampening is really the biggest improvement. You and your passengers don’t look like bobble heads driving over rough roads
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2023, 08:10 AM   #21
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
Major improvement over stock CS suspension never been in any other M3’s so couldn’t comment.

The improvement on the streets I find very compelling. If it was a dedicated track car you can spend less or same for a better track set up but o would imagine street driving would be tough.

Comfort is plush now, I find myself in sport 90% of the time in NYC

The dampening is really the biggest improvement. You and your passengers don’t look like bobble heads driving over rough roads
That’s what wanted to hear I may never take it on track, it’s more fast twisty roads in the middle of knowwhere.I may try the milway street camber plates as on the road I’m wearing the edges of the tyres. But when I’m not driving like a mad man the better ride will be appreciated.
If your noticing a big difference from a cs on track I’m sure Il be more than happy coming from a competition.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 06:28 PM   #22
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

kw ddc is an upgrade over base/comp/cs. less floaty, car settles quicker so you feel comfier for sure.

comfort is a bit comfier, sport is best one as in all EDC setups I have tried in any car..

I would say kw ddc is the safest bet to go in terms of upgrade over stock.
Appreciate 0