Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
F80NV
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Best tune strictly for Downpipes and Burbles? (Not looking for additional HP)

Hi all – first thread here, but have definitely been reading the forums for some time now. Wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on what the best tune would be strictly for both Burbles and DP. I currently only have an AA Midpipe installed, but planning to purchase a VRSF downpipes and intakes. My goal initially is just to turn off the CEL light from the DP and add burbles to the car without adding any additional horsepower from the tune (I understand that there will be a natural HP increase from just the downpipes alone, however, not looking to increase HP from the tune directly).

With that being said, I’ve been looking into BM3 considering they have the option to easily customize how aggressive the burbles are at your fingertips and seems like they have a Stage 0 map that appears to line up with what I’m trying to achieve. However, wanted to see if anyone else has any other recommendations or if anyone could share what they’re currently using now.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80NV View Post
Hi all – first thread here, but have definitely been reading the forums for some time now. Wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on what the best tune would be strictly for both Burbles and DP. I currently only have an AA Midpipe installed, but planning to purchase a VRSF downpipes and intakes. My goal initially is just to turn off the CEL light from the DP and add burbles to the car without adding any additional horsepower from the tune (I understand that there will be a natural HP increase from just the downpipes alone, however, not looking to increase HP from the tune directly).

With that being said, I’ve been looking into BM3 considering they have the option to easily customize how aggressive the burbles are at your fingertips and seems like they have a Stage 0 map that appears to line up with what I’m trying to achieve. However, wanted to see if anyone else has any other recommendations or if anyone could share what they’re currently using now.

Thanks!
You're on the money with BM3. You can even add burbles to your stock tune I believe. Not sure why you want a downpipe when you can still have burbles with the stock cat. That's what I am doing. Yes burbles can ruin your cat, but thats only if you really do an aggressive setting. Stay less aggressive and you'll be good.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
F80NV
Registered
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
You're on the money with BM3. You can even add burbles to your stock tune I believe. Not sure why you want a downpipe when you can still have burbles with the stock cat. That's what I am doing. Yes burbles can ruin your cat, but thats only if you really do an aggressive setting. Stay less aggressive and you'll be good.
Good to know! That's basically the reason why I was planning on getting catless DP from hearing others ruining there stock cats with burbles. Also, I've been told the exhaust note is more pronounced & less raspy with catless DP (along with louder burbles).

Definitely will keep this in mind, cause I know another issue is worrying about passing smog with catless DP. Although, NV doesn't do a full inspection so perhaps I should be in the clear.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
TrueNorthM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White BMW M3 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80NV View Post
Good to know! That's basically the reason why I was planning on getting catless DP from hearing others ruining there stock cats with burbles. Also, I've been told the exhaust note is more pronounced & less raspy with catless DP (along with louder burbles).

Definitely will keep this in mind, cause I know another issue is worrying about passing smog with catless DP. Although, NV doesn't do a full inspection so perhaps I should be in the clear.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing!
You will have MORE rasp with a catless downpipe. Louder and deeper, yes, that too.
Appreciate 2
///Mani36.00
gatorfast4994.50
      02-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #5
TakeOne
Just1MoreMod
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F48 X1

Go for resonated DPs if you can. Highly recommended them!
      02-06-2020, 03:53 AM   #6
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Get BM3. once you get bored with your stock power levels you're just a few clicks away from an extra 100 hp
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

+1 for bm3

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #8
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Any flash can take care of that and if you are keeping the stock tune with the only addition being bubbles then manufacturer is not relevant. You need a flash tune and any will do what you ask. If you are getting on the more power kick than weigh those options as well. Don't just jump on a bandwagon based on +1 for company X.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #9
Brentis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 BMW e90 M3 Competition

No words
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #10
TheirThere
867-5309
Rep