Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

02-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #67
F80Fun
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
It's bloody brilliant and what I've been missing with this car all along. Please, if you're used to booting in MDM and car saving you on loose traction corner, if you do get GTS upgrade, bear in mind what I've said.
Hope that helps.

Thanks for this review VERY HELPFUL. I find MDM mode inconsistent. I have tried to push it beyond its limits but it has never let go. Sometimes gives a little amount of slide, sometimes gives nothing, probably down to how silly you are trying to be.

So thank you very much for the words of warning about how MDM mode will be effected, pretty much what I would like, but good to know before I try it out

So it sounds like lifting off if you get out of shape (or beyond your skill level) is now the point at which it will step in and hopefully save you, or try to. However if you are on part throttle or full throttle it will let you play...

Looking forward to this update!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #68
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Touring

How do you get in touch with Henry?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 04:21 AM   #69
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SR View Post
How do you get in touch with Henry?
Henry is Kurai, msg him
      03-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #70
Rteyp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5M, M140i, E30 320, 65 E-Type

Had Henry work his magic on mine today, whilst I haven't fully explored it, a short trip showed an instant improvement in gear change and throttle response - much smoother. I had CS upgrade which is slightly less aggressive then GTS - its a vert after all.

Lots of other coded extras too and latest software.

Having a GAD stage 1 completed next Saturday so it will be like a new car at fraction of cost. Thanks Henry !
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #71
Mav281
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

I contacted Henry earlier in the week to setup a time/date for us to do the GTS Flash work on my M4 and was pleased when he suggested we get together at the weekend to get it all sorted. So today, I spent a good hour and a half battling my way through North London traffic (I'm sure there must have been a quicker was) to make the rendezvous point and meet up with Henry. Thanks to Henry for taking the time out to do the work on the car, much appreciated mate.

Like many others have, I just wanted to provide some feedback on the GTS software settings, so others can get a feel for just how much they might change the ride characteristics of your car.

Steering

I am going to start with what was probably the least important part for me and that was the steering. Someone mentioned above that despite the fact it’s supposed to get heavier post flash they felt as though it had gotten lighter, this was also my initial reaction, and following a 40-mile drive home, I’m convinced. I have my M1 setting on comfort all round, lowest gear setting and traction control on full – it’s my “kids in the car mode”. Well, post flash the drive out of London in the same traffic I came in on just seemed easier. The steering felt lighter, which makes the whole car feel that little bit more manoeuvrable. Tempted to say maybe it’s just me, but given I’m not the only one saying it, I think there’s an element of you make your own mind up on this one. When switching to M2 – which for me is the polar opposite end of the scale, everything on maximum attack and MDM mode, I can’t honestly say it felt much different to pre flash. Perhaps time will tell on this one....

Diff/DCT Settings

One of my biggest grumbles was that the car struggled to lay down its power a lot of the time. For me this was in a number of situations – from a standing start, cornering, even coming off roundabouts in 3rd gear, I often used to get a twitchy rear end. That might be in part to the standard Conti tyres that are on the car, however I am sure there is an element of the car having a driver who’s always had 4WD or FWD up until now. This update, therefore, was the big one for me. WOW what a difference it makes. All of a sudden, I can get the car away from the lights quickly with virtually no slip, and where I would previously have had a twitchy back end coming off roundabouts, the car just powers away now, the difference is night and day. Really happy here.

The DCT is also much smoother up and down the gears now. In full auto mode when you’re taking it easy, the car moves up through the gears much swifter now, as in it changes at a lower RPM and doesn’t hold onto gears for quite so long. Again it’s a night and day difference and almost feels more like the standard BMW 8 speed auto now.

MDM

Because of the improved grip I’ve mentioned above, I didn’t get an opportunity to really push the car to see how the MDM reacted. Having read feedback from others, I can well believe the improvement. I’ll feedback on this in due course.

Throttle Response

The Kangaroo in the fuel tank finally appears to have done one, WOOT! No more skipping about when pulling away from the lights using the paddles. Another big one for me and a great result.

Exhaust Note

Firstly I should mention that I’ve done the exhaust mod to open up the flaps in the exhaust permanently. I noticed the slight change in the exhaust note once Henry had done the flash, it’s a slightly deeper burble than before the flash, not a huge difference but it’s there. What did pleasantly surprise me is that it’s gotten rid of the droning you get at 70mph on the motorway. Anyone who’s done this mod and has the DCT box will know what I mean, but with the GTS settings it now appears to have gone, or at the very least been hugely reduced. An unexpected bonus, I'm very pleased with.

Conclusion

All in all, I’m exceptionally happy with the GTS flash, mainly because you can actually feel a night and day difference in some of the settings. For me it’s the GTS spec Diff/DCT settings that are the icing on the cake, the car now feels hooked up and genuinely powerful, whereas before I always expected to get some major slip and as a result lose power, which obviously takes away a lot of the fun factor.

Others that have had the GTS software flash done have suggested it makes the car feel totally different. For the most part, I have to agree with those sentiments, especially around the Diff/DCT settings. Simply put, with the GTS software flash done, this is how the M4 should have been from the get go. If you're on the fence as to whether or not to get this done, it is absolutely well worth doing, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the results.

Once again a big thanks to Henry for your time this afternoon, much appreciated
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2018, 05:11 AM   #72
F82_Bavaria
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4 Coupe DKG

Hi everyone, i am Chris from Germany (Bavaria straight next to BMW HQ) and i won a 10/2015 M4. in one week i get the latest update of the whole car at my local bmw dealer. But after that i wanted to get the GTS flash. Is it possible to remotely flash my car ?

I have a good friend of mine with a laptop and every software and the newest updates, but he never flashed different firmware from different cars.

I hope you guys can help me out. Thank you very much.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:13 AM   #73
AnthonyR
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82_Bavaria View Post
Hi everyone, i am Chris from Germany (Bavaria straight next to BMW HQ) and i won a 10/2015 M4. in one week i get the latest update of the whole car at my local bmw dealer. But after that i wanted to get the GTS flash. Is it possible to remotely flash my car ?

I have a good friend of mine with a laptop and every software and the newest updates, but he never flashed different firmware from different cars.

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by F82_Bavaria View Post

Chris
Hi Chris, yes Henry can do a remote service and I believe he has done that for many people. Send him a message so you can sort it out
      04-11-2018, 06:26 AM   #74
F82_Bavaria
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4 Coupe DKG

Thank you guys, i will contact him.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 01:16 PM   #75
jamesportan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4 comp

Just wanted to give an alternative to all this as everyone seems to have skipped the seemingly obvious path to fixing drivability issues with their £60k+ RRP car..

Recently had my 67 plate M4 CP updated by BMW to latest stock software and it has completely changed the car in many of the ways described in the thread so far regarding GTS software
(They also replaced the carbon prop shaft and parts of the diff under warranty since they were bad/broken)

Car was awful before -
Jerking/kangarooing in 1st gear
Slamming gears in when changing up - to the point of throwing the back end out sometimes
Lazy going 1st to reverse and back again
Jerky/snatchy setting off slowly when parking
Awful setting off quickly from standstill

All of this has been sorted by the software update and prop/diff being fixed

That being said I am still tempted by GTS updates, but firstly - don't just assume problems are down to software when so many of these cars have diff and propshaft issues and years worth of software updates waiting, and don't assume you need to pay someone for special software when BMW might be able to sort it for you for free
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #76
MikeM4CP
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4 Comp

Anyone had GTS flash done on M4 CP from a main dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #77
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM4CP View Post
Anyone had GTS flash done on M4 CP from a main dealer?
They can't do it. They obviously have all the files & software for every vehicle, but when a cars plugged into their system it will only allow that cars specific software to be updated.
      03-09-2019, 02:58 AM   #78
mbj666
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 CP - Frozen Black

hi all i have a june 2018 m4 CP anyone moved from CP to the GTS software at all an noticed any difference (only thing that sounds useful if not just snake oil is getting the power down smoother as tend to find mine traction control all ways nannying/twitching going up 2nd 3rd an 4th going full beans unless really really dry hot/sunny day)
Appreciate 1
scottc699.00
      03-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #79
fertech
Beast M ode
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Go for the THOR Flasher and you are able to flash CS or GTS or reflash to CP whenever you like. For me with 2017 CP DCT and a friend of mine 2016 CP 6MT it makes a big difference, better traction and more grip, less nannying, smoother gear changes with DCT, steering in Sport and Sport+ is perfect now. You are getting a more refined MDM mode, THOR will come up with an EDC update also - for me the perfect way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #80
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbj666 View Post
hi all i have a june 2018 m4 CP anyone moved from CP to the GTS software at all an noticed any difference (only thing that sounds useful if not just snake oil is getting the power down smoother as tend to find mine traction control all ways nannying/twitching going up 2nd 3rd an 4th going full beans unless really really dry hot/sunny day)
Yes, I've got a CP car and have the full GTS software. I've found a very noticeable improvement in the steering, gearbox, throttle and traction. Well worth it and bargain for what it costs.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:47 AM   #81
mbj666
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurai View Post
Hi Chris,

Yes, it's possible. Contact on WhatsApp: +44 7985 232 591.

Kind regards,
Henry
hi henry i am interested in the GTS software if you could give a bit of info in how it works (in cumbria so am guessing would need to be remote)

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #82
mbj666
Private
Rep

well pulled the trigger on the full GTS flash, 2019 software upgrade an bang & olaf software, all setup remotely today ready just need damned cable to arrive monday to can get it finished roll on monday.................................
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #83
mbj666
Private
Rep

Quote:
well pulled the trigger on the full GTS flash, 2019 software upgrade an bang & olaf software, all setup remotely today ready just need damned cable to arrive monday to can get it finished roll on monday.................................
had the GTS flash done tonight an been for quick spin

immediately noticed in sports+ steering still heavy but felt lighter felt better connected to road, biggest difference has been much improved traction even in wet/damp conditions and not getting the gear slam that would set traction control off

early days but def made it better to drive faster

will report back with more info when spent more time with it
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 03:42 AM   #84
Slips
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sakhir

Quote:
had the GTS flash done tonight an been for quick spin

immediately noticed in sports+ steering still heavy but felt lighter felt better connected to road, biggest difference has been much improved traction even in wet/damp conditions and not getting the gear slam that would set traction control off

early days but def made it better to drive faster

will report back with more info when spent more time with it
Look forward to what your report on your GTS flash.

My warranty runs out end of month and prob not renewing so will be modding the M3, just put off a little by the hassle of going modified insurance but I suppose it will work out cheaper than changing the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #85
mbj666
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slips View Post
Look forward to what your report on your GTS flash.

My warranty runs out end of month and prob not renewing so will be modding the M3, just put off a little by the hassle of going modified insurance but I suppose it will work out cheaper than changing the car.
mine still in warranty so aware bit of risk with dealer (next service not due for another 11k miles and seen a number of other guys been to their dealer without issue post gts flash) but went for gts flash as main reason was fed up with traction control constantly kicking in and ruining the experience

so far main things i have noticed especially given the bumpy typically wet cumbrian/lake district roads (ranked in order of what i noticed the most):

massive difference in getting power down for me with traction control only coming in when car really twitching but even then far far less invasive (recognise this has been my experience in wet/rainy conditions only so far)

next is the reduced gear change slam (when on no.3 setting) is far smoother and doesn't as a result constantly unsettle car and again give traction issues/nannying

steering although still heavy in sports plus feels lighter/faster to turn when at speed which to me helped give much better road/car feedback than previously

finally noticed gear change quicker especially going into or out of reverse back to drive

hopefully helps other peeps out anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 05:11 AM   #86
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
I had my M4 flashed with the GTS performance flash:

? M4 GTS DCT Performance Flash - (MASSIVELY reduced kangaroo gear changes especially in sports and sports+ modes). Big difference putting the power down more! Also changes the tone of your exhaust to sound sportier and deeper on stock untuned engine. On competition pack cars and custom burble remapped tuned cars, your burbles will change to match the M4 GTS burbles.
? GTS Electronic Power Steering *Stiffens steering for better control/handling with more advanced power assist, especially during hydroplanning.
? GTS Traction Control *More slip in MDM before power is cut and allows better traction control settings, improved drifting characteristics.
? GTS Rear Differential *Improved take off from the line, more control, better cornering. Straight line launch control and take off.

The drive will be extremely optimised comparable to the M4 GTS as it's OEM software ??
It feels much smoother and responsive.
All done by a fellow M4 owner ?

Here are the two cars:
What about the fact that a standard M3/M4 has no waterinjection?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #87
propete1031
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Hi will this GTS flash change engine / exhaust noise also? As in louded, more burbles, cracks and pops etc?
      03-22-2019, 10:47 AM   #88
Vergis
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Get the GTS Steering and Chassis flashed GTS and CS traction control. Then your ready to go. Best of all worlds.
Appreciate 0