GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #1
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Taking Yas to the dealer @45k miles for warranty. Any tips?

As the title suggests Im taking yas to the dealer. He runs strong and no major issues. Other then the chasis malfunction light comes on after its been sitting on the battery tender and goes away?? Weird.. Not sure if a sensor going out or gets wet from washing under the fenders with pressure washer? I dunno but, it goes away after 30 mins driving.

My goal is to get whatever needs fixing done now before the factory warranty expires.

Ask them to check all bushings, rear diff bushings, driveshaft connections, Intercooler reservoir (Ive checked and no issues), belts, hoses, and the chassis malfunction light that intermittently pops up and wont allow to change shock settings. Whatever else they go through. Need new seat emblems too.

Questions:

What else should I ask them to check? I want to be very thorough.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+

Last edited by papasmurf_m3; 01-16-2020 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
danchee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X7 40i

Do dealers do this kind of work? I thought most say no to this kind of inspection coz of potential warranty fraud where they say something's broken and needs replacement even when it doesn't really need to be?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #3
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Checking parts to make sure it's funciotnal is what the dealer does. Fraud? They make money for every hour they work on your car with a factory warranty. They go by book hours and most of the time they get the job done quicker. They want warranty repairs because they make money.

Last edited by papasmurf_m3; 02-04-2020 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
robertg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Make sure they check the oil housing and cooling housing gaskets are not leaking. These are know failure points on modern BMW's.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2020, 03:36 PM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Checking parts to make sure it's funciotnal is what the dealer does. Fraud? They make money for every hour they work on your car with a factory warranty. That's how they make money. They actually get paid well because they go by book hours and most of the time they get the job done quicker. They want warranty repairs because they make money.
There's more variables in play as warranty work is paid at a lesser rate than retail work. Each dealer treats situations differently.

If you have specific issues/questions - bring them up beforehand and get a responses in writing.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
      02-04-2020, 01:39 AM   #6
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

I talked to my SA and he was really cool. he did a full PPI inspection. They checked it out with a flashlight with all covers off top and bottom, saw nothing wrong. He said the car is in perfect, condition and has a perfect service history! What a relief.

I asked him to let me know if he even the slightest thing. He kept the car 8 days to change the brake fluid, engine oil, differential fluid and new seat emblems. Coolant looked good so just a top off. Plugs were changed last year so that's good. I asked about DCT fluid he says earliest he would do it is about 60-70k but, good for 100k. So, that was cool. I plan to change it when I do the dodson sportsman plus clutches eventually. So that works out.

I'm so stoked! Now my mind is at ease. Next will be engine mods and stay on top of maintenance.

Thank you all for replying!

Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
McChris
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Just did the same, Asked for PPI, They charged a small fee.

Rear axle seals were leaking. Seems to be pretty common. Dealer said happens on quite a few models not just M cars.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Keep in mind you're asking the dealership to comb through your car and create what amounts to a mountain of paperwork for them to be reimbursed for any repairs. So don't be surprised when they come back with "car's perfect, nothing wrong, an absolute peach!"
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McChris View Post
Just did the same, Asked for PPI, They charged a small fee.

Rear axle seals were leaking. Seems to be pretty common. Dealer said happens on quite a few models not just M cars.
Good thing you asked them to go through the car! Glad you got it fixed. I asked them to check mine also . But, my seals were good.

I was concerned about rear diff bushings, even the one up top that's hard t get to. But, seems those are all good too.

All they found after keeping my car 8 days was a sensor for the EDC that was apparently failing Intermittently.

Fixed under warranty! Other then that the car is a "peach" ;-)

Appreciate 0