Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
TanzaniteBlue
BMWphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & FCA! <3

MaximumPSI crank hub reliability question for those who have it

Hey all, this is keeping me up at night now, and there's no way I keep this car past the warranty if even a proven solution, when installed correctly, can possibly fail.

I had my MaximumPSI crank hub installed summer 2018 as a preventative measure and it's been fantastic so far. About 19,000 miles on the car, also running Bootmod3 Stage 1 for quite a while. It was installed by MaximumPSI/Bimmerclinic themselves, so I have the upmost confidence it was done correctly.

Then I come across the rare post hinting one has failed, like the gigantic poll a page or two back asking what type of hub you have and has it spun. 3 people indicated their MaxPSI hub has failed, with zero explanation, and nothing in their post history even relates to it. I understand that MaximumPSI themselves have ceased to sell these hubs due to improper 3rd party installations causing spun hubs.

For those of you who have the MaxPSI hub, who installed it, and how has it held up?

Last edited by TanzaniteBlue; 02-16-2020 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzaniteBlue View Post
Hey all, this is keeping me up at night now, and there's no way I keep this car past the warranty if even a proven solution, when installed correctly, can possibly fail.

I had my MaximumPSI crank hub installed summer 2018 as a preventative measure and it's been fantastic so far. About 19,000 miles on the car, also running Bootmod3 Stage 1 for quite a while. It was installed by MaximumPSI/Bimmerclinic themselves, so I have the upmost confidence it was done correctly.

Then I come across the rare post hinting one has failed, like the gigantic poll a page or two back asking what type of hub you have and has it spun. 3 people indicated their MaxPSI hub has failed, with zero explanation, and nothing in their post history even relates to it. I understand that MaximumPSI themselves have ceased to sell these hubs due to improper installations causing spun hubs.

For those of you who have the MaxPSI hub, who installed it, and how has it held up?
In your area, it would be Kies Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
TanzaniteBlue
BMWphile
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & FCA! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
In your area, it would be Kies Motorsports
Yup, heard they do installs around these parts now. Tommy L Garage had his done by Kies as well. Did you have one installed and if so how has it been?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
dheanswer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AY F82

I had mine installed by MaxPSI themselves. Drove from VA to NJ.
No issues and I've done HPDEs since the install.

I say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #5
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Had my done at Kies.
Zero issues.

Track day scheduled with stage 1 that I’m running.

I’m glad I did it.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:24 AM   #6
Schultz28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

You’re fine, don’t overthink it.
Appreciate 3
      02-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzaniteBlue View Post

Then I come across the rare post hinting one has failed, like the gigantic poll a page or two back asking what type of hub you have and has it spun. 3 people indicated their MaxPSI hub has failed, with zero explanation, and nothing in their post history even relates to it. I understand that MaximumPSI themselves have ceased to sell these hubs due to improper 3rd party installations causing spun hubs.

Maybe ask all 3 and see what you can glean from them.
      02-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

The guy who did that post has no clue what he is doing
The option should have been if the crank hub spun before or after install
There is still no clarification on that even after I asked.
He didn't ask for a clarification from those people either. Mine is totally fine and I haven't heard of one spinning.
Anything is possible but I am sure if it did we would definitely hear about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 11:27 PM   #9
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I just got max psi crank hub installed.

I did a bunch of 'kick down' on my DCT just for laughs
      02-19-2020, 03:55 AM   #10
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
He didn't ask for a clarification from those people either. Mine is totally fine and I haven't heard of one spinning.
Please explain what the point would be of asking if the crank hub spun before install.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 05:11 AM   #11
flipnkraut
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightF82 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelrain View Post
Please explain what the point would be of asking if the crank hub spun before install.
I think his point is that the poll answers are ambiguous and open to interpretation. Since people can interpret the same answer differently it's going to skew the results. You might read the answers and say duh they mean x, but another person, maybe someone who doesn't natively speak English, interprets it another way.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #12
M4XS55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnkraut View Post
I think his point is that the poll answers are ambiguous and open to interpretation. Since people can interpret the same answer differently it's going to skew the results. You might read the answers and say duh they mean x, but another person, maybe someone who doesn't natively speak English, interprets it another way.
If the point is that I could have worded the Poll Answers more clearly, fair enough - I agree. Because the the Poll was quite large, I tried to keep the answer choices short and concise and probably missed on the concise part.

I’m a relatively new F82 owner and joined to exchange ideas, seek help and try to provide help.

... not a big fan of Coldsteelrain’s big-talk proclaiming he knows who has a clue and who doesn’t.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #13
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I have had mine installed for almost a year and run E85 sometimes. I heard that the few units that failed were early ones where the shop didn't drill the crank correctly. I think the most important thing is having this done at a good shop. I also heard that's half the reason they got out of this, it was hard to control the level of install quality.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2020, 12:51 PM   #14
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

There hasn't been a failure of a MaxPsi hub. That thread was just drama. If you want to look for failed crank hubs type "vargas crankhub failure" and you'll get a pile of real failures.

I've had my maxpsi hub for a year now and no issues...I use kickdown regularly as well; love that slingshot feel.
      02-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #15
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
There hasn't been a failure of a MaxPsi hub.
I'm not sure that's 100% true, but what I suspect happened was there were some installs where the fixture wasn't either made right or installed right and the holes were drilled such that they didn't line up with the crankhub. If that happened the only remedy would be to oval out the holes in the crank which pretty much defeats the purpose. I can see that failing.

If it installed properly the only way for it to fail would be 1) the bolt loosens and then that allows some play and the pins shear, or the pins just shear. That's not very likely. It's definitely stronger than stock in any case. Adding a CBC probably wouldn't hurt.

The other solution is the Gintani version. This fully keys the crank, and by design would be very hard to install wrong. The only way that's spinning is 1) bolt loosens enough to have the hub come out or the crank fails. This I would bet money on is the strongest solution. That and a CBC I suspect would be bulletproof. When mine spun they were backordered though.
Turbo Miata Racecar (sold)
1995, 2009, 2015 M3 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #16
Grey///M3
Rep
Drives: M3

Hello everyone,

When I installed my MaximumPSI Crank hub fix, I found that seems easy to damage the hub 2 pins if a tool is not used to counter the central screw's torque, which should be around 500N and I don't think that everyone uses the tool!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #17
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
I'm not sure that's 100% true, but what I suspect happened was there were some installs where the fixture wasn't either made right or installed right and the holes were drilled such that they didn't line up with the crankhub. If that happened the only remedy would be to oval out the holes in the crank which pretty much defeats the purpose. I can see that failing.

If it installed properly the only way for it to fail would be 1) the bolt loosens and then that allows some play and the pins shear, or the pins just shear. That's not very likely. It's definitely stronger than stock in any case. Adding a CBC probably wouldn't hurt.

The other solution is the Gintani version. This fully keys the crank, and by design would be very hard to install wrong. The only way that's spinning is 1) bolt loosens enough to have the hub come out or the crank fails. This I would bet money on is the strongest solution. That and a CBC I suspect would be bulletproof. When mine spun they were backordered though.
It's 100% true unless there is an actual failure, which there hasn't been.

What you are describing is installation failure. Regardless OP enjoy your crank hub without fear.