EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #1
ArieArie
Old man
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3

Google Assistant can now talk to the car..

If you use an Android phone, you can ask Google assistant to interact with the car.

You'll need to have the latests version of BMW Connected App installed on your phone.

So far I tested: "ask BMW is my car locked", it comes back with "Your BMW doors are locked but your Windows are open"

"Ask BMW What's my range" and it comes back with "our BMW range is 282 miles"

"Ask BMW to lock my car" and it comes back with "A request has been sent to your car to lock its doors"..

I'm not sure what other commands it supports.
The voice used for the BMW answeres is different than the G-Assistant.
Attached Images

Mikecom32149.50
      12-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

Being able to ask "Is my car locked" is excellent.

Too bad I have an iPhone.

I'm assuming you can ask these questions when away from the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
I_M_Negan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

I am not an "i" person, but I am pretty sure you can download assistant for "i" stuff too.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 12:32 AM   #4
ArieArie
Old man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
Being able to ask "Is my car locked" is excellent.

Too bad I have an iPhone.

I'm assuming you can ask these questions when away from the car?
It work where ever your BMW Connected App works, i.e. everywhere.

Not sure if this would work on an iPhone. What made it work is an updated BMW Connected Android app which was dropped a few days ago, it has a new interface to Google. The BMW app does all the work. The google assistant is the voice interface.
      12-16-2017, 12:35 AM   #5
ArieArie
Old man
Rep

I discovered something interesting. When you use Google assistant it can tell you the state of your car windows, open or close, the BMW app does not.
      12-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
Rockshaker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, MG 318i 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieArie View Post
I discovered something interesting. When you use Google assistant it can tell you the state of your car windows, open or close, the BMW app does not.
The google assistant is supposed to support IOS 9.0 and higher based on the below.

With Google Assistant, BMW Connected is coming home. Manage your schedule by asking when you should leave for your next trip. Start your journey in comfort by switching on the climate control in advance. And keep your BMW secure by locking the doors without lifting a finger.

The BMW Connected action is a companion to the BMW Connected mobile app, and is optimized for 2014 and newer vehicles. After successfully linking the action to your BMW Connected account, say "Ok Google, ask BMW for help" to explore the features supported for your specific BMW model.

With the BMW Connected action, you can ask questions or give commands such as:

What is my next trip?
When should I leave for my next trip?
What time is my next appointment?
Send my next trip to the car.
Activate the climate control.
Lock the doors.

Plus, for BMW i vehicles and certain other models, you can also ask:

Is my BMW locked?
Are my windows up?
What's my fuel range?
Is my trunk locked? (New!)

Please note:
? The BMW Connected action currently only supports users in the United States.
? Only one BMW vehicle per ConnectedDrive account can be used with this action (for users with multiple vehicles linked to their account, this will be the first/primary vehicle).
? Google Assistant will send remote service commands to your vehicle, but will not currently confirm the completion of those commands.
? Remote services are not available while your vehicle is in motion or when car location services are interrupted.
? If desired, you can choose to temporarily disallow commands from this action via the Google Assistant page on the Hub tab within the BMW Connected mobile app.
? For BMW customer support, call 1-888-333-6118.
Read more
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #7
Rockshaker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, MG 318i 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieArie View Post
The google assistant is supposed to support IOS 9.0 and higher based on the below.

With Google Assistant, BMW Connected is coming home. Manage your schedule by asking when you should leave for your next trip. Start your journey in comfort by switching on the climate control in advance. And keep your BMW secure by locking the doors without lifting a finger.

The BMW Connected action is a companion to the BMW Connected mobile app, and is optimized for 2014 and newer vehicles. After successfully linking the action to your BMW Connected account, say "Ok Google, ask BMW for help" to explore the features supported for your specific BMW model.

With the BMW Connected action, you can ask questions or give commands such as:

What is my next trip?
When should I leave for my next trip?
What time is my next appointment?
Send my next trip to the car.
Activate the climate control.
Lock the doors.

Plus, for BMW i vehicles and certain other models, you can also ask:

Is my BMW locked?
Are my windows up?
What's my fuel range?
Is my trunk locked? (New!)

Please note:
? The BMW Connected action currently only supports users in the United States.
? Only one BMW vehicle per ConnectedDrive account can be used with this action (for users with multiple vehicles linked to their account, this will be the first/primary vehicle).
? Google Assistant will send remote service commands to your vehicle, but will not currently confirm the completion of those commands.
? Remote services are not available while your vehicle is in motion or when car location services are interrupted.
? If desired, you can choose to temporarily disallow commands from this action via the Google Assistant page on the Hub tab within the BMW Connected mobile app.
? For BMW customer support, call 1-888-333-6118.
Read more
I just installed the google assistant app on my IPhone 8 and it works just like the OP's Android. I had to link my bmw account from inside the app and it works!
Appreciate 0