Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #23
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
Sorry to hear. Hope its not a lot of damage. It doesnt sound like it. I was ready to go BM3 stage 1 93oct but decided to stick to BM3 stock CS tune for now after hearing ppl loading a tune and immediately slipping the crank hub. I might get a crank hub fix in the future if prices for install goes down..

Please update us on what SSR finds. Did bolt loosen, friction disk break, or just plain slip...
Thanks and goodluck.
I will keep everyone updated! You are a smart man!
      05-17-2020, 05:36 PM   #24
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosn View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I can only imagine the grief it's caused you. Hopefully the damage is not too great and you can make a recovery out of this.

I must say tho, I've recently read a lot posts regarding the SCH and I'm very surprised at the advice that people are giving(workshops included) on this forum, telling others they should be ok with a tune and not too worry too much about the SCH issue.

From what I can gather, I would say DON'T TUNE YOUR CAR unless you get some sort of fix, otherwise your car is a ticking time bomb. It's a huge price to pay.

Also, a big FAIL on BMW's part to not even acknowledge the problem. It's a shame they built a pretty weak engine especially being one of their most recognized cars and best performance sellers.
Thank you brotha. Seriously, I remember being so worried about my e92 M3’s rod bearings until I finally did the rod bearing job at SSR. It seems like every BMW M car has an Achilles heel whether is the e46 vanos issues (I think there is more) or e92 rod bearings. I had numerous people say it was okay to run even a stage 2 tune without worry, I am certain that is bad advice
      05-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #25
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I literally posted a couple days ago debating whether to tune. Reading this def helps me decide to just keep it stock. I also thought going stage 1 was safe as i thought it was the common census bw forum members. I’m already not telling my wife about deciding to tune I can’t imagine telling her, “hey I voided the warranty by tuning and now we have this $X,XXX bill we have to pay outta pocket.” She would beat me senseless. Best of luck to you.
I’m sure there are so many other S55 owners in the exact same boat. It is just so much smart IMO to skip the headache and do the fix before risking your warranty and motor. Glad you are taking the smart route brotha.
      05-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #26
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonvan View Post
It really is a crap shoot. More people are tuned with no fix than there are with. I have been tuned Cary Jordan for 5k now with only the CBC. I don’t drive crazy but still good.
More people are probably tuned than there are people with the crankhub fixes. But IMO if you drive the car even slightly hard with a tune and you don’t do kickdowns or downshifts it is still a time bomb on the crankhub.
      05-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #27
luchocamp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M2LPower

sorry... I hope it could be solve easily
instagram @luchocampusano YouTube Lucho Campusano
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #28
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Bummer man.

When you say working the car "sort of hard" what do you mean...Launches? 40/60 Rolls? You said no kickdowns so just trying to possibly pinpoint the cause...not that it really matters whats done is done. Either way itll come back stronger ready for some big HP.
By sort of hard basically short pulls. Again, no crazy crazy driving just 40/60 pulls through a few gears. But when it happen I was cruising because it didn’t feel good doing those pulls, felt like something was going to give. And yes my plan is to come back with safe power!
      05-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #29
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnotsomuchf80 View Post
Hey man really sorry to hear about what happened. Honestly just some bad luck. I'm hoping just a simple crank hub fix will do the trick and no lasting damage was done. I know this is probably a crazy suggestion right now given you're still probably shocked by what happened, but I do suggest upgrading your tune since you are already doing the crank hub fix. I upgraded from stage 2 to a full e85 tune from Cary through my favorite shop SSR Performance and honestly, the difference is amazing. I'm smoking Lamborghini Huracans off of a roll. I feel very secure w the 4 pin design and once you upgrade that and your spark plugs, these engines are pretty much bulletproof. Regardless, don't let this get you down. Once you upgrade your crank hub you can downshift like crazy w security and have some real fun. Shout out to Shah and Zayn and SSR Performance for taking care of me. You're in great hands.
Thanks for the kind words brotha. That is the plan to come out Stage 2 while the engine is already dropped. Shah and Zayn and the rest of the SSR guys have always been great to me and I feel very comfortable with the car in their hands
      05-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #30
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Thanks for posting this, I was recently thinking of a stage 1 tune and will probably wait for the time being. Best of luck with the repair!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #31
santiwan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Sucks that it happened. On the bright side, if there is no engine damage, you will finally have the hub issue taken care of and can drive the car as hard as you want.

Still unfortunate though. I had my hub replaced with Vargas V2 installed by EAS and the peace of mind is definitely worth it. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #32
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATTES View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Maybe the previous owner had a tune on it too.
BMW wouldn't do a cpo for tuned cars, they should know it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATTES View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Maybe the previous owner had a tune on it too.
BMW wouldn't do a cpo for tuned cars, they should know it.
They may or may not have looked that hard
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:15 AM   #33
4LLBACK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Bummer to hear. It's 100% a factory flaw with the S55 platform. This is exactly why a lot of S55 customers just run JB4 map1 or map2 levels for a mild power increase with the ability for easy removal down the road.
I have a JB4 for sale only $300 if you or anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:26 AM   #34
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

@Chase__M4

Did your OEM hub spin or the sprocket spin and friction plate break due to torque shock?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:59 AM   #35
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase__M4 View Post
By sort of hard basically short pulls. Again, no crazy crazy driving just 40/60 pulls through a few gears. But when it happen I was cruising because it didn’t feel good doing those pulls, felt like something was going to give. And yes my plan is to come back with safe power!
Gotcha. Well keep us updated man...I expect nothing less than 700whp haha.
      05-18-2020, 01:21 PM   #36
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
GREAT NEWS just spoke to SSR performance and the motor is completely fine! I think because I immediately threw it in neutral I saved the motor from catastrophic damage. Also Shah discovered the previous owner had a JB4 on the car. They are taking off the JB4, dropping the subframe, replacing the spun crankhub with their 4 pinned crankhub fix. They are also installing their signature power pack with new intakes, DP’s, charge pipe and I will be running a stage 2 bm3 tune. All in all I am very lucky that the motor is okay. Shoutout to SSR Performance for taking great care of me and I am excited to get the car back soon

Last edited by Chase__M4; 05-18-2020 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 5
hC1001591.00
ra2289305.50
Ghosn463.50
Bon F80127.00
      05-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #37
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
@Chase__M4

Did your OEM hub spin or the sprocket spin and friction plate break due to torque shock?
I can try to get the exact details about the specific failure with the crankhub but for now the codes point to no motor damage so we will see when the old crankhub is off
      05-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #38
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Quote:
GREAT NEWS just spoke to SSR performance and the motor is completely fine! I think because I immediately threw it in neutral I saved the motor from catastrophic damage. Also Shah discovered the previous owner had a JB4 on the car. They are taking off the JB4, dropping the subframe, replacing the spun crankhub with their 4 pinned crankhub fix. They are also installing their signature power pack with new intakes, DP's, charge pipe and I will be running a stage 2 bm3 tune. All in all I am very lucky that the motor is okay. Shoutout to SSR Performance for taking great care of me and I am excited to get the car back soon
Thanks for updating us! Interesting that BMW didn't notice the JB4 in CPO inspection.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #39
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
GREAT NEWS just spoke to SSR performance and the motor is completely fine! I think because I immediately threw it in neutral I saved the motor from catastrophic damage. Also Shah discovered the previous owner had a JB4 on the car. They are taking off the JB4, dropping the subframe, replacing the spun crankhub with their 4 pinned crankhub fix. They are also installing their signature power pack with new intakes, DP’s, charge pipe and I will be running a stage 2 bm3 tune. All in all I am very lucky that the motor is okay. Shoutout to SSR Performance for taking great care of me and I am excited to get the car back soon
So your motor is fine, so what code did it throw? What if you did not want to do crank hub upgrade what would of been the fix to get you up and running?
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #40
Chase__M4
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Gotcha. Well keep us updated man...I expect nothing less than 700whp haha.
Lol! I will be close to there when she’s back, I think I’m just doing a 91 Stage 2 for now though because I still need to upgrade the wheels and tires
      05-18-2020, 02:12 PM   #41
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
Thanks for updating us! Interesting that BMW didn't notice the JB4 in CPO inspection.
+1

Makes me really question (a) detectability of JB4 and (b) thoroughness of the CPO inspection.

I would not be at all surprised if the fact that the car was previously modded had something to do with the crank hub failure. Who knows how many pulls were done.

I'm kind of surprised you did not have SSR stop everything as soon as they noticed the JB4. I realize you had it tuned which for sure exacerbated the issue, but I think you would have had a VERY solid claim against BMW to - at a minimum - extend the warranty another year and have them add or strike language to assume more drivetrain liability. I have to believe it would be very embarrassing to BMW if you went public about them selling a CPO vehicle that literally still had the modification installed.

Jim
Appreciate 3
      05-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #42
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
GREAT NEWS just spoke to SSR performance and the motor is completely fine! I think because I immediately threw it in neutral I saved the motor from catastrophic damage. Also Shah discovered the previous owner had a JB4 on the car. They are taking off the JB4, dropping the subframe, replacing the spun crankhub with their 4 pinned crankhub fix. They are also installing their signature power pack with new intakes, DP's, charge pipe and I will be running a stage 2 bm3 tune. All in all I am very lucky that the motor is okay. Shoutout to SSR Performance for taking great care of me and I am excited to get the car back soon
Wow, so your car was running JB4 and bm3 stage 1 simultaneously? So that's essentially running more power than bm3 stage 1 alone, I'm assuming.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #43
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherhart View Post
+1

Makes me really question (a) detectability of JB4 and (b) thoroughness of the CPO inspection.

I would not be at all surprised if the fact that the car was previously modded had something to do with the crank hub failure. Who knows how many pulls were done.

I'm kind of surprised you did not have SSR stop everything as soon as they noticed the JB4. I realize you had it tuned which for sure exacerbated the issue, but I think you would have had a VERY solid claim against BMW to - at a minimum - extend the warranty another year and have them add or strike language to assume more drivetrain liability. I have to believe it would be very embarrassing to BMW if you went public about them selling a CPO vehicle that literally still had the modification installed.

Jim
They could just as easily say it was added after the car was purchased.

More than likely got a lazy tech signing it off.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #44
wangboy925
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 CP Coupe

Would the dealership who sold you the car be able to reimburse you for the work done by SSR? I feel like the dealership needs to take some resonsibility.
Appreciate 0