R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #23
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
For the base tune the valves do not open immediately when in sport/sport+ like they do for the zcp.
Mine is non-ZCP, and it behaves exactly like what hellokitty described.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #24
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Quote:
For the base tune the valves do not open immediately when in sport/sport+ like they do for the zcp.
So with the factory tune, the valves dont open until 3.5K even in sport/sport plus??
Not sure if that's the exact rpm but it def needs to be up there along with other throttle input parameters.

Basically if you are sitting still with a base tune car and go from efficient to sport mode, nothing will happen to the valves. But if you are sitting still with ZCP or CS tune and go from efficient to sport you will immediately hear the valves open even before driving off.
This is not my experience with a non-zcp, manual.

when in Sport/sport+ my valves are always open in first and second gear. in third gear and above, they only open when hitting a certain RPM and % throttle input, but close afterwards to prevent droning.

when you first switch to sport/sport+ from efficient (and in 1st/2nd), you can give a quick blip to the throttle and valves open right away.

maybe things are different with a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #25
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Quote:
So with the factory tune, the valves dont open until 3.5K even in sport/sport plus??
Not sure if that's the exact rpm but it def needs to be up there along with other throttle input parameters.

Basically if you are sitting still with a base tune car and go from efficient to sport mode, nothing will happen to the valves. But if you are sitting still with ZCP or CS tune and go from efficient to sport you will immediately hear the valves open even before driving off.

when in Sport/sport+ my valves are always open in first and second gear. in third gear and above, they only open when hitting a certain RPM and % throttle input, but close afterwards to prevent droning.

when you first switch to sport/sport+ from efficient (and in 1st/2nd), you can give a quick blip to the throttle and valves open right away.

My car is a non-ZCP manual as well. Perhaps I am remembering the valve behavior wrong? I have been tuned for a long time but I don't recall the valves opening immediately after changing throttle settings, only when hitting certain rpm/throttle inputs.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #26
Isj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post

same operation with DCT non-zcp.
Appreciate 0