European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-22-2023, 03:16 PM   #1
Thegreatest20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

White smoke coming from vents/Top of hood

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I’m still getting white smoke coming from the hvac when on while in sport or sport plus. Happens after the engine is nice and hot between 5000-7000 RPM. No loss in power, no visible leaks. Car runs nice and powerful. Smell doesn’t smell like oil. Smells like hot metal and trans fluid (My Opinion). I got a new S55 Engine block at 68,000 miles two summers ago after my last jumped time. Recently changed valve cover gasket along with coils and plugs. Went to BMW they performed two diagnostics and smoke/air test and still nothing. My mods are AFE momentum cold air intakes, Cat-less DP from F8 Freaks, CTS water to air intercooler, injen charge pipes, Tune MHD stage 2 plus
I have AA equal length mid pipes on the way. Other than that i have no clue what it is

Last edited by Thegreatest20; 03-23-2023 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 03:57 PM   #2
MethodRR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Have they looked into a failing heater core? Sounds to me like there may be a pinhole leak under high pressure.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 04:57 PM   #3
Thegreatest20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodRR View Post
Have they looked into a failing heater core? Sounds to me like there may be a pinhole leak under high pressure.
I honestly don’t know. My heat is coming out fine and hot. Yesterday i turned AC for the first time since fall and it works fine also
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #4
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Are you losing fluids in any of the systems? (Radiator coolant, engine oil, trans, etc?) a small leak can create a lot of smoke so you may need to monitor closely. It’s gotta be coming from one of those.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 12:10 AM   #5
Thegreatest20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAI///M3 View Post
Are you losing fluids in any of the systems? (Radiator coolant, engine oil, trans, etc?) a small leak can create a lot of smoke so you may need to monitor closely. It’s gotta be coming from one of those.
From what i can tell no. BMW also said no. But the other person who commented may be right. Another person said the exact same thing. Theres a pinhole size hole in the hose going from coolant tank to heating core. I took coolant cap off while car was off for a few hours and the smell of the smoke is similar. Now i have to figure out if this will require a big removal of the core or coolant tank to get to this hose
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 08:12 AM   #6
Thegreatest20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodRR View Post
How do i fix that?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #7
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
yo.

So you say you have the "smoke" coming from the vents AND from under the hood?

The heater core is inside the car inside a giant plastic HVAC unit. The plumming for the core is aluminum piping that snakes through the firewall to the engine bay. At the firewall, a second set of plumming pipes (fairly standard rubber coolant lines) then attach and head to the reservoir.

You mentioned you had a new block put in, which would more likely require disconnecting the heater coolant lines (amungst other things). Possibly there was damage/loose coupling during the replacement process that is now coming to light. And since you say the smoke is coming from under the hood AND the HVAC system inside the car, that would lead me to believe possobly there is a high pressure leak at the firewall junction.

If you need to access the HVAC system, you will need to remove the dash. Altbough it is not that difficult to remove the dash, it is extremely time consuming and there are lots of dertails to pay attention to. But totally doable if you have the right tools and lots and lots of time.

Either way, good luck and keep us posted...

josh
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 12:01 PM   #8
Thegreatest20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
yo.

So you say you have the "smoke" coming from the vents AND from under the hood?

The heater core is inside the car inside a giant plastic HVAC unit. The plumming for the core is aluminum piping that snakes through the firewall to the engine bay. At the firewall, a second set of plumming pipes (fairly standard rubber coolant lines) then attach and head to the reservoir.

You mentioned you had a new block put in, which would more likely require disconnecting the heater coolant lines (amungst other things). Possibly there was damage/loose coupling during the replacement process that is now coming to light. And since you say the smoke is coming from under the hood AND the HVAC system inside the car, that would lead me to believe possobly there is a high pressure leak at the firewall junction.

If you need to access the HVAC system, you will need to remove the dash. Altbough it is not that difficult to remove the dash, it is extremely time consuming and there are lots of dertails to pay attention to. But totally doable if you have the right tools and lots and lots of time.

Either way, good luck and keep us posted...

josh
🤦🏽*♂️🤦🏽*♂️🤦🏽*♂️ at this point I’m ready to to get out of the F83 lol but thanks dude. I may take it back to beamer that did the block
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      03-23-2023, 09:36 PM   #9
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatest20 View Post
🤦🏽*♂️🤦🏽*♂️🤦🏽*♂️ at this point I’m ready to to get out of the F83 lol but thanks dude. I may take it back to beamer that did the block
Good call. And I get the frustration....

josh
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 12:48 PM   #10
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Should be ale to do a pressure test on the cooling system, see if it holds, or is losing pressure. Sounds like a heater core / heater lines issue to me as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 09:40 AM   #11
Thegreatest20
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ram View Post
Should be ale to do a pressure test on the cooling system, see if it holds, or is losing pressure. Sounds like a heater core / heater lines issue to me as well.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 06:46 AM   #12
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Could it be the new valve cover gasket wasn’t installed properly and it’s leaking oil, this is common to cause white smoke under the hood and gets pushed into the vents with a sweet smell
Appreciate 0