R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

10-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
M4KOBEL
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSC, BMW X3 M40i

2017 M4 Lease End: Buy it or let it go?

Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum, and I’ve come here seeking your advice. I’ve been driving a beautiful M4 Competition Convertible for the past three years, and I’m 60 days from lease return. The car has 22,000 miles on it, and it is pristine. I love this car, and I’ve fussed every detail of it for these past three years. I’ve been driving only BMWs since I purchased my first one, a 325 convertible, in 2001, and while my 2005 330 ZHP convertible was awesome, I have enjoyed this M4 even more.

I have been seriously considering buying the car in 60 days, if I can negotiate a fair price. However, I have some concerns. Of course, I’ve been told you never do this; it does not financially make sense. But, from my perspective, this car is mint, so if I can get it at fair market value, I win because of its outstanding condition.

I’ve also been told I should only do this if I’m willing to purchase maintenance coverage for an extended period of time because of the high cost of repairing these cars.

I also had a dealership employee tell me it’s not worth it to buy this car. The residual value, plus the cost for the dealer to certify the car, plus the cost of the maintenance plan will push the price so high it just won’t make sense.

I’ve also been told these cars are not meant to be kept long term. This person told me the cost of ownership and the ongoing maintenance and repair needs make the M cars a costly pain in the behind. I will say the cost of ownership details I’ve found online regarding M4s does appear to be significant.

I would really value hearing from those of you who are owning these cars. Is any of this stuff legit? I’m getting ready to begin shopping and evaluating all of my options, and would value hearing about your experiences.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

The right question to ask yourself is what is the alternative? Leasing another M4, or something else for 3 years? Does that make better financial sense? I highly doubt that.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
M4KOBEL
Rep

Yes, good point. However, I understand BMW will no longer allow negotiation on the lease-end purchase price? If that’s the case, it’s going to present a problem. From what I can see online, the car isn’t worth the residual value/purchase price, and I can’t see paying more than market value.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #4
jzhu625
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f83

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4KOBEL View Post
Yes, good point. However, I understand BMW will no longer allow negotiation on the lease-end purchase price? If that’s the case, it’s going to present a problem. From what I can see online, the car isn’t worth the residual value/purchase price, and I can’t see paying more than market value.
unless you're really into THIS car then purchase, otherwise, the market price of the car is far away from your residual value.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
If you love this car, then buy it assuming it's been problem free.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #6
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
If you love this car, then buy it assuming it's been problem free.
Problem free doesn't mean problems aren't behind the corner.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Since they still make the car and lease deals are still attractive, why not get into a new lease where you have new tires, warranty, upgrades, etc? This is how I priced my cars out. I calculate the maintenance cost (usual stuff plus brakes, tires, and some money for unexpected repairs) and compare it to getting into a new lease. It's a bit more in the long run but I know I don't want to keep the same car for 10+ years. In fact most people don't even though they say they will. Also, if you're planning on buying tour car out and financing it, most rates are worse for a used car purchase or lease buyout, so you waste some money there. I think for a car like this its nice to have a warranty in case something goes wrong. The older I get the more piece of mind I want when it comes to things like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #8
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

i'd say buy it out if you love the car.. i purchase my 2018 m4 Vert with 5k miles on it.. paid in full.. i'm not worried about future problem on the vehicle as I love the car now.. all cars will encounter an issue.. my dad's 2019 Lexus LS570 has been in the shop 3x already.. new doesn't mean it's better.. Enjoy the car and have fun.. dealerships will tell you it not worth it as they want to lease another one from them anyway.. I have no regrets on my purchase .
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #9
keepschtum
Keep Schtum
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW330e

From experience, its really difficult to buy a car at the end of the lease period due to BMW not budging on prices and that you've effectively had tax benefits from it.

You can get around this by using a third party like a friend or a family member to purchase the car and then sell it to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #10
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

I am in the same boat and seeing all the pics of the g80 m3 is making me want to buy my current car. Like the others stated, you need to think of what other car you would want if you did not buy this car.

The teaser pics of the front grill alone is enough to make me shell out 50k to buy my f80 lol
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #11
M4KOBEL
Rep

A lot of great perspectives. Thank you, everyone. In thinking it through, I’m emotionally invested in buying this M4. However, objectively and financially, I’m not there yet. Im going to start the conversation with the dealer shortly. I also want to drive some other cars so I’m grounded in what’s out there. So, I should be able to make an informed, rational decision over the next several weeks.
Appreciate 1
G8rGrl568.50
      11-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #12
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep
Drives: German cars

sub'd