European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

Closed Thread

01-29-2015, 04:00 PM   #397
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Why would you WANT to hide the dash cam so no one see's them. I would absolutely WANT a valet to see the cam.

If you want to CATCH someone doing something bad - hide the cam. If you want to PREVENT something bad from happening stick it in their face!
I agree with the above. I have my cam on the right side of my rearview mirror which isn't exactly hidden from the driver, but it also doesn't distract from my field of vision.

I intend on telling anyone (mainly BMW techs) who drive my car that I have a dashcam so that they won't do stupid sh*t.

Oddly enough, the one time I had someone else drive it (a service tech at BMW) he actually saw that my dash cam was on and recording (because he was waving at it when he got out) and went on an extended service drive to make sure my winter tires wouldn't fall off.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #398
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
I agree that everyone's car means something to the owner, I didn't say they didn't. However, as YouTubes show and from what I have captured on my own dashcam, valets/service techs get a bit more irresponsible when driving M/AMG/RS/Corvette and the like.

Also, why should I trust you? Have you been joy riding around in other people's cars?
Cheers and you shouldn't. Happy?
      02-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #399
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Only just stumbled onto this thread, through a German forum. Great work here.

I'm glad valet parking here is extremely uncommon, and the places that do have it, are places I don't come to.

'1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III auf Schwarz • Deutschland-ausführung • 1 von 12 • SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL •

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 03:36 AM   #400
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Why would you WANT to hide the dash cam so no one see's them. I would absolutely WANT a valet to see the cam.

If you want to CATCH someone doing something bad - hide the cam. If you want to PREVENT something bad from happening stick it in their face!
Quote:
I agree with the above. I have my cam on the right side of my rearview mirror which isn't exactly hidden from the driver, but it also doesn't distract from my field of vision.

I intend on telling anyone (mainly BMW techs) who drive my car that I have a dashcam so that they won't do stupid sh*t.

Oddly enough, the one time I had someone else drive it (a service tech at BMW) he actually saw that my dash cam was on and recording (because he was waving at it when he got out) and went on an extended service drive to make sure my winter tires wouldn't fall off.
That's one way to look at it. The people including myself that want their dash cams hidden are doing it for the following reason: In case of a hit and run, if someone sees your camera, they know this will get them in trouble with the law due to EVIDENCE. If the person is serious in getting away with their crime (9 times out of 10, most are), they will break into your car (shattering your windows, damaging many other parts of your door/interior/perhaps even stealing some other things inside while they are at it) and steal the camera. Amongst the damage mentioned above, they might also mess up your interior wiring of the car if they are in a hurry to get away.

At the end of the day, even if you hide it, you can still tell valets and service departments you have one, so hiding it is the better option .
      02-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #401
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
That's one way to look at it. The people including myself that want their dash cams hidden are doing it for the following reason: In case of a hit and run, if someone sees your camera, they know this will get them in trouble with the law due to EVIDENCE. If the person is serious in getting away with their crime (9 times out of 10, most are), they will break into your car (shattering your windows, damaging many other parts of your door/interior/perhaps even stealing some other things inside while they are at it) and steal the camera. Amongst the damage mentioned above, they might also mess up your interior wiring of the car if they are in a hurry to get away.

At the end of the day, even if you hide it, you can still tell valets and service departments you have one, so hiding it is the better option .
You must really live in your own bubble to make all of those snide comments. You have no idea why people hide their cameras outside of you and the people you talk to (has there been a widely solicited survey asking people why they hide their dashcams?). Also, to make such a childish statement as "so hiding it is the better option" just makes you look like an amateur.

Also, you may want to look up what a hit and run is? The very definition of a hit and run is that the perpetrator does not stop his/her car but instead drives off.

Again, 9 times out of 10 they are serous??? Source / evidence

Your entire comment is preposterous and non-sense. If you have an opinion about something, great explain what it is and move on. Please don't make up numbers and presume you know the undisputed right answer to everything... amateur.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #402
rymiller73
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throtex View Post
Awesome! And I'd go back and accommodate their request, but that takes time If anything, this is good PR for them, so maybe I'll just say that I've used their parking facilities before (not the valet) since they're just across the street. The whole complex and the parking facilities are GORGEOUS. The public parking deck has umpteen dozen EV-only spots with chargers, which is nuts for DC.

So, I'll just say if you're in DC, do stop by City Center, because it's pretty freakin' cool.
I'll second that!!
      02-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #403
bmwluvr24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You must really live in your own bubble to make all of those snide comments. You have no idea why people hide their cameras outside of you and the people you talk to (has there been a widely solicited survey asking people why they hide their dashcams?). Also, to make such a childish statement as "so hiding it is the better option" just makes you look like an amateur.

Also, you may want to look up what a hit and run is? The very definition of a hit and run is that the perpetrator does not stop his/her car but instead drives off.

Again, 9 times out of 10 they are serous??? Source / evidence

Your entire comment is preposterous and non-sense. If you have an opinion about something, great explain what it is and move on. Please don't make up numbers and presume you know the undisputed right answer to everything... amateur.
You sure know how to make friends. Hit and run does not mean that the car who hits you immediately leaves the scene. It just means that they didn't stick around to get caught. In this case, I would say that someone who hits a car and sees a dash cam will definitely freak out and either leave their info or break in and steal it and then leave the scene. That is a hit and run. Period.
      02-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #404
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mhead24 View Post
You sure know how to make friends. Hit and run does not mean that the car who hits you immediately leaves the scene. It just means that they didn't stick around to get caught. In this case, I would say that someone who hits a car and sees a dash cam will definitely freak out and either leave their info or break in and steal it and then leave the scene. That is a hit and run. Period.
You must have a very obscure sense of reality. A proper definition of a hit-and-run is in the link and it clearly states that the driver of the crime fails to stop to exchange information. Obviously, if the driver stops and acknowledges the damage he wouldn't care about the camera.

I am not sure what you mean by "didn't stick around to get caught"... nobody just sticks around to get caught haha. They either leave or don't leave and exchange information. Can you send me a YouTube or something that shows a guy standing around waiting to get caught and then realizing "Oh SH*T! A DASHCAM!!!" and proceeds to break even more laws to steal the dashcam? Nope, bet you can't.

You can keep on making up your mumbo jumbo and posting on this site all you want but you are just making yourself look bad.

I also don't intend to make virtual internet friends. I have my real friends. You should try making them. haha

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...om/hit+and+run
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #405
bmwluvr24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You must have a very obscure sense of reality. A proper definition of a hit-and-run is in the link and it clearly states that the driver of the crime fails to stop to exchange information. Obviously, if the driver stops and acknowledges the damage he wouldn't care about the camera.

I am not sure what you mean by "didn't stick around to get caught"... nobody just sticks around to get caught haha. They either leave or don't leave and exchange information. Can you send me a YouTube or something that shows a guy standing around waiting to get caught and then realizing "Oh SH*T! A DASHCAM!!!" and proceeds to break even more laws to steal the dashcam? Nope, bet you can't.

You can keep on making up your mumbo jumbo and posting on this site all you want but you are just making yourself look bad.

I also don't intend to make virtual internet friends. I have my real friends. You should try making them. haha

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...om/hit+and+run
I think that we are friends. If we aren't then I must not have purpose in life. Jeez.......now what do I do?
      02-08-2015, 03:14 AM   #406
bimmerking818
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

I would straight up kill him no questions ask
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 03:23 AM   #407
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerking818 View Post
I would straight up kill him no questions ask
Hold on... Murder is a crime
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #408
emfo
Rep
Drives: TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gds52 View Post
Just make a valet mode key or some coded lock with limited speed and RPM...that's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
I would like to see a valet mode limited to 15 or 20 mph and 100 hp as an example that customers can enable.
Word. How does this not already exist? Perhaps a setting you can activate from iDrive can be disabled with a password.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread