Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-15-2019, 10:28 PM   #67
rsthiswayup
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 Comp in YMB

Sorry to hear about your car OP. Mine is also parked on the street, so I constantly panic about not seeing it in the morning. I have my CCTV covering it, it’s fitted with a Ghost Autowatch and a good old fashioned steering lock though. The keys are in a screening bag.

So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #68
M3Meh
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3 f80

Guys the best thing to do is get a steering wheel lock. I know it looks ugly but that is the reality these days (especially here in the UK - even Europe). The best steering wheel lock is a disklok. These b******s would have to drill through the lock with 3 separate cuts I believe (the noise and time isn't worth the hassle - especially at night). I don't even trust RFID blocker pouches (what if it isn't sealed property etc - you're not going to check everyday are you..) and still sceptical on aluminium foil (it can get cuts/holes).

It's such a shame that we have to go back and use methods/tools from 15-20 years ago to secure our car. BMW is doing nothing about remote theft of cars (it's been happening for over four years and the last two years has been crazy), at least come up with the program/code to prevent this!

Heres a video of an RS6 saved because of a steering lock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:29 AM   #69
AO08BAS
Private
Rep
Drives: TR G80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Meh View Post
Guys the best thing to do is get a steering wheel lock. I know it looks ugly but that is the reality these days (especially here in the UK - even Europe). The best steering wheel lock is a disklok. These b******s would have to drill through the lock with 3 separate cuts I believe (the noise and time isn't worth the hassle - especially at night). I don't even trust RFID blocker pouches (what if it isn't sealed property etc - you're not going to check everyday are you..) and still sceptical on aluminium foil (it can get cuts/holes).

It's such a shame that we have to go back and use methods/tools from 15-20 years ago to secure our car. BMW is doing nothing about remote theft of cars (it's been happening for over four years and the last two years has been crazy), at least come up with the program/code to prevent this!

Heres a video of an RS6 saved because of a steering lock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Thanks for this mate, I have been using a steering lock but will most likely upgrade it to a disklock at some point very soon.

In addition to this I now box my car in with 3 other cars every night and I am using the faraday bags! Fingers crossed that puts the kents off coming for my new car.

I really would advise all the Euro owners to take safety seriously. Having my car stolen cost me not just almost 8 weeks of stress dealing with my insurance but has caused my insurance to triple for my new car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #70
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Is there a way to add another battery and keep the GPS tracker on? I feel like disconnecting a cars battery should not be the defeating factor of stealing a car. Aftermarket GPS yes, but that gets stupid expensive vs a $50 backup battery hidden somewhere that keeps the locator on.

I actually keep 2 Tile squares in my cars front and back because they are so cheap and rely on bluetooth of other people around it, rather than satelites and expensive trackers. Got the idea from a friend who found his motorcycle that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #71
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP

Sorry for your loss! M3/M4 Are more than cars! they are super close to us.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:06 AM   #72
AO08BAS
Private
Rep
Drives: TR G80 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Is there a way to add another battery and keep the GPS tracker on? I feel like disconnecting a cars battery should not be the defeating factor of stealing a car. Aftermarket GPS yes, but that gets stupid expensive vs a $50 backup battery hidden somewhere that keeps the locator on.

I actually keep 2 Tile squares in my cars front and back because they are so cheap and rely on bluetooth of other people around it, rather than satelites and expensive trackers. Got the idea from a friend who found his motorcycle that way.
I asked about this, I was told it wouldn't help as the thieves use a signal blocker which shuts any and all GPS signals so even if its hidden the blocker would stop it.

If anyone has more knowledge on this that would be helpful as I'm going by what the police told me.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #73
No.401_Speed
Army Veteran
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM & 2009 E-92 BSM

Electronic Car Thieves

This article pertains to Toyota and Lexus, but could be equally applicable to BMW, Merc etc. I also watched a program last year on how the professional car thieves operate across North America to take orders for, and then find specific makes and models of high end autos to be smuggled to Africa and the Middle East.

For $200 USD, they can buy a cheap clone of a device similar to what car dealers use to create replacement FOBs. These devices will read and copy the FOBs internal security codes then clone that to another FOB, then they have another means of defeating the anti-theft software in the car so that they can just walk up, unlock your door and drive away in about 15 seconds.

Keep your FOB away from your front door or garage door, and when out and about, you might want to consider an aftermarket pouch to protect against electronic scanning while in your pocket (if you live in a high-threat area).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tack-1.5380947

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8RrmEizVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di_k2IO83to

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/featu...to-prevent-it/

And don't forget your "hat".
Attached Images

Last edited by No.401_Speed; 12-03-2019 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0