GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
ARM3AN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Should I Buy This M3? Please Help!

Hi Guys! So based on my last post, a friend of mine is selling his M3 to me for a steal! 26k clean title, only problem is mileage (94k) 6MT, White on Red, Carbon Ceramics with 75% left and no accidents with clean CarFax! Has JB4 tune and catless.

I just had the car PPI'd at BMW and they said it looks good but CV axle and differential bushings need to be replaced. I asked BimmerSpeed and they said only one bushing has a small crack and CV looks good but isn't broken. Should be replaced soon but not necessary. The only thing is also a leak in oil gasket housing. They quoted 3k for all those to be done.

Next issue is it won't pass smog. It has no cats and has a JB4 tune. I would have to get it smogged elsewhere.

What do you guys think? Would appreciate all the help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Everything would be okay with me except for the smog failure. In my opinion, seller should uninstall JB4 and install stock downpipes for you to confirm no CEL, not on your cost. You don't know if there's a bad O2 sensor waiting for you, which could be another added expense. Given the mileage, it isn't impossible. Either way, then you could pass smog check without any shenanigans or workarounds.

I don't know how easy it is to get around smog checks in CA, but if I'm buying a car I want to 100% know I can register it without any problems. Can always put the parts back on later once it's guaranteed to pass.
      07-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
ARM3AN
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Everything would be okay with me except for the smog failure. In my opinion, seller should uninstall JB4 and install stock downpipes for you to confirm no CEL, not on your cost. You don't know if there's a bad O2 sensor waiting for you, which could be another added expense. Given the mileage, it isn't impossible. Either way, then you could pass smog check without any shenanigans or workarounds.

I don't know how easy it is to get around smog checks in CA, but if I'm buying a car I want to 100% know I can register it without any problems. Can always put the parts back on later once it's guaranteed to pass.
Yeah I told him! He had never sold a car before and thinks its up to me to do smog and all that... it's hard to convince him that it's actually his job. He won't accept it. I think I'll pass on the car now. It sounds like a headache waiting to happen. Thank you bro!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3AN View Post
Yeah I told him! He had never sold a car before and thinks its up to me to do smog and all that... it's hard to convince him that it's actually his job. He won't accept it. I think I'll pass on the car now. It sounds like a headache waiting to happen. Thank you bro!
Well, technically yes, at the end of the day it's on you to make sure your car passes smog if you buy the car. Seller is completely within his right to sell the car as-is.

But finding someone who will buy the car in such a state is another story. If it is indeed $3000 in maintenance/repairs, add another $200-350 for downpipe replacement, JB4 can be DIY removed, but you don't know if you have more expenses coming until the car is back to stock state. O2 sensors aren't a big deal, but depending on which one, it may run you another couple hundred dollars, which is an unpredictable expense.

It's not really a "huge" gamble per se, but a 26k M3 may end up costing you close to 30k in the worst case. At the very least, I think it's a fair compromise in the negotiation to put stock downpipes back on if it means a sale.
      07-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #5
ARM3AN
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Quote:
Well, technically yes, at the end of the day it's on you to make sure your car passes smog if you buy the car. Seller is completely within his right to sell the car as-is.

But finding someone who will buy the car in such a state is another story. If it is indeed $3000 in maintenance/repairs, add another $200-350 for downpipe replacement, JB4 can be DIY removed, but you don't know if you have more expenses coming until the car is back to stock state. O2 sensors aren't a big deal, but depending on which one, it may run you another couple hundred dollars, which is an unpredictable expense.

It's not really a "huge" gamble per se, but a 26k M3 may end up costing you close to 30k in the worst case. At the very least, I think it's a fair compromise in the negotiation to put stock downpipes back on if it means a sale.
Yeah I agree with you but he keeps saying oh just buy it buy. I told him dude if it costs me 30k I don't even know about crank hubs or the state of your turbos. He hasn't changed anything in engine since the car came out based on records. Just valve gasket cover. So I'm guessing sparks and ignition coils etc are due soon. Car fax showed only fluids and oil changes..
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50
      07-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
nepats81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM ZCP M4

Quote:
Yeah I agree with you but he keeps saying oh just buy it buy. I told him dude if it costs me 30k I don't even know about crank hubs or the state of your turbos. He hasn't changed anything in engine since the car came out based on records. Just valve gasket cover. So I'm guessing sparks and ignition coils etc are due soon. Car fax showed only fluids and oil changes..
Honestly...this is seeming to be a bit of a headache. Its a good price and of course you want the car.

I advise you save up a bit more - you don't drive many miles. Get to the point where you are able to spend 40k. you can get a car with way less miles and no stories.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
ARM3AN
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats81 View Post
Quote:
Honestly...this is seeming to be a bit of a headache. Its a good price and of course you want the car.

I advise you save up a bit more - you don't drive many miles. Get to the point where you are able to spend 40k. you can get a car with way less miles and no stories.
Yeah man it's a huge headache! The seller isn't trying to even take smog and fix it to sell. And at that mileage I have to worry about a lot happening. Think I'll sit this one out
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Sounds like you could be walking into a car that costs you $36k, not $26k, for 100k miles =) Could be wrong. There's certainly some deferred maintenance from the sounds of it.
      07-21-2020, 10:58 AM   #9
ARM3AN
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
Sounds like you could be walking into a car that costs you $36k, not $26k, for 100k miles =)
Yessir! Decided to pay 30k ish and find a low mileage one without any headaches haha. So glad I didn't buy it 🥰
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Yessir! Decided to pay 30k ish and find a low mileage one without any headaches haha. So glad I didn't buy it 🥰
Nice pick up!
      08-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
mazh.km
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i(retired), 2011 535i

Send me the owners contact info for this m3. I am interested
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #12
dantm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like you could be walking into a car that costs you $36k, not $26k, for 100k miles =)
I gave feedback on that high mileage car.. what did you end up getting? Miles? Price?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:08 PM   #13
ARM3AN
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantm3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I gave feedback on that high mileage car.. what did you end up getting? Miles? Price?
Decided to not even get it! Thought about it and I'm better off paying more for a low mileage! Especially when turbos, clutch, a tune and all that are involved at that mileage I think I saved myself a headache!
Appreciate 0