EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

09-06-2022, 10:05 PM   #1
Atarekvw
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [5.00]
Great tip for easy DIY spark plugs S55

I recently purchased a set of Dinan ignition coils as an upgrade and the set stayed in the garage for a while knowing it a hassle and a lot of bolts and parts to get to the coils then having to torque down all back and my laziness kept me from installing them for a long time.

I finally decided to install the set and check the spark plugs. I knew from all the DIY videos and articles I have watched and read that i will have to take the aluminum brace and the plastic cover underneath, but before removing all that and after removing the CF brace, the air intake box and the charge pipes i decided to try reaching and unplugging the furthest coil and to my surprise i was able to pull it out with minimal effort. Took me a few seconds to wiggle it's way out. You just need to close the ignition coil cap back after removing the electric plug and pull it out easy.
And for the spark plugs i used a flexible extension with the thin walled spark plug socket, loosed the plug till it's free and pulled it out with a magnet.
You only have to do this for the furthest plug ( cylinder #6 i think) the rest of the coils and plug are not restricted.

I thought I would share this with this forum as this would cut the time and effort significantly for a project like this. Also if you're like me and you'd rather keep everything in place and not risk braking, stripping, or loose anything from uninstalling and reinstalling parts. (Or even worse,

Pictures and a link to a short video below

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZEZWT08xjgU?feature=share

Thanks and I hope this helps people out there
Attached Images

Appreciate 4