Fi Exhaust
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #3455
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Here they come! Sigh. I'm sick and tired of these guys. Every single one I make sure I don't sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I think what they're doing is basically a "collab or collaboration" with the influencer by providing the vehicle, tires, insurance, and delivery of said vehicle to the influencer so they have "first" access to get the likes and subscribers so YouTube can pay them and their videos get bumped up in the algorithm. Its equivalent to giving a foodie a paid meal to get a good Yelp review. It's no different than a corporate gift to clients to win their business. BMW surely writes this all of as marketing expenses.

In the age of COVID, this has replaced what was traditionally done at BMW driving events to drum up hype for new models by allowing public access to enthusiasts and fans of the brand. Though they did initially go this route, I think the fan base universally hated the G8x except for a handful of folks (I can count them on one hand on this thread), they turned to plan B which was get the cars to the influencers to shill it for them.

But you're totally right that they're spinning the story by preventing the professional media from speaking the truth and allowing only influencers who themselves have been influenced and are motivated by their own drive for generating likes and income, to get ahead of the true narrative. Which could be effective b/c you will get people who really only use IG and FB as their source of news and information to eat up every word. This is the same strategy that the film industry has recently switched to promote their movies via Rotten Tomatoes using "fake critics" with "fake reviews" to skew the movie's score to the positive end to get people to watch, or in this case, subscribe to HBO Max. I believe BMW has adopted this strategy, hence the embargo on real journalistic reviews, leaving us all so far with are influencer YT "fake" or hollow misleading reviews without driving impressions.

https://www.indiependent.co.uk/wonde...iased-or-fake/
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
MFNATIK3196.50
stein_325i12004.00
RugbyBro1484.50
irunalot371.00
minn198632.50
jpy19801316.50
GERMAN M32700.50

03-04-2021, 04:52 PM   #3456
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

[QUOTE=mahalom3;27303557]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Ha! made me almost spit out my coffee![/QUO

I refer the front end as the Bucked Tooth Grille
That's funny but I call it BMW's biggest misstep in design direction in the last 100 years

This is way worse than the Bangle butt E65 or Auntie Edna eyeglass styled headlights on the E60
Appreciate 6
stein_325i12004.00
CT_M3984.50
RugbyBro1484.50

03-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #3457
Arcades
Lup's Kid
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 18' Grigio Medio F80

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I've ranted about this before but US FTC regulations require social media influencers to disclose sponsorships or considerations. So either they're not being paid at all (ahem), or they're violating the regs. Or maybe non-US based influencers don't think the FTC can or will touch them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yup, it's a hard standard to enforce because not all compensation is in money. Clicks, views, subs. It's not just BMW, but I've noticed this with a lot of companies varying across industries. It's just the "new" form of guerilla marketing. Producers of consumers good and content are benefitting extremely well from the lack of a cohesive standard of reporting - the advent of accessible media and switch from conventional news/journalism sources has allowed them to bypass independent third parties and really stack the deck in their favor as it relates to the information that is getting out. They're essentially grabbing power back from what used to be considered a trusted consumer information source. In an extremely oversimplified example, you won't catch C&D dead saying half the bullsh*t that is spewed by "influencers" about a car, its capabilities, and even its fundamental mechanics - that's what happens when you have to adhere to a minimum standard of reporting/journalism. The unfortunate result of all this, is the conventional third party sources that we would have relied on that maintain a decent standard of reporting are now getting drowned out and sufferings from lack of viewer/readership. I have so many thoughts and grievances with social media, its relationship to consumers, and how companies utilize it against consumer interests... but that's not the point of this thread. /EndRant
I think what they're doing is basically a "collab or collaboration" with the influencer by providing the vehicle, tires, insurance, and delivery of said vehicle to the influencer so they have "first" access to get the likes and subscribers so YouTube can pay them and their videos get bumped up in the algorithm. Its equivalent to giving a foodie a paid meal to get a good Yelp review. It's no different than a corporate gift to clients to win their business. BMW surely writes this all of as marketing expenses.

In the age of COVID, this has replaced what was traditionally done at BMW driving events to drum up hype for new models by allowing public access to enthusiasts and fans of the brand. Though they did initially go this route, I think the fan base universally hated the G8x except for a handful of folks (I can count them on one hand on this thread), they turned to plan B which was get the cars to the influencers to shill it for them.

But you're totally right that they're spinning the story by preventing the professional media from speaking the truth and allowing only influencers who themselves have been influenced and are motivated by their own drive for generating likes and income, to get ahead of the true narrative. Which could be effective b/c you will get people who really only use IG and FB as their source of news and information to eat up every word. This is the same strategy that the film industry has recently switched to promote their movies via Rotten Tomatoes using "fake critics" with "fake reviews" to skew the movie's score to the positive end to get people to watch, or in this case, subscribe to HBO Max. I believe BMW has adopted this strategy, hence the embargo on real journalistic reviews, leaving us all so far with are influencer YT "fake" or hollow misleading reviews without driving impressions.

Most of these "buyers" will dump their car within a 2 year period.

That's how these car influencers always do it. It is extremely rare they hold onto any car because it won't give them profit or anything past a certain date. I saw this guy who bought his dream car, a GT4 (hence why I saw the video lol) and within 4 month period, he sold it. His reasoning was that, because this was also a job, if the videos aren't generating enough profits, he has to get rid of it to do something new.

That is ALL these YouTube people do. It is almost universal at this point. So, any one of these yahoos saying that in their videos, I can promise those cars will be gone within a 2 year period or less. Especially once the real reviews from drivers that actually have a brain cell and know their cars like Chris Harris.

Influencers are the worst. Most are awful at lying, and rarely have anything beneficial/helpful to say if you, yourself, did any homework before hand. BMW finding these ppl to do their talking will backfire eventually because they aren't loyal. Once the hype dies off, they move on to another new thing. It is always the same cycle over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
You're making babies for me!
Appreciate 4
RugbyBro1484.50
CT_M3984.50
MFNATIK3196.50

03-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #3458
NSX2M4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecnniqe View Post

Yuck! I thought we were over the gold fad already... Guess not.
Shahs of Sunset M3/M4.
People, gold anything on a car is ugly. Period!
The ONLY car it works on is a Pagani Zonda R.

Last edited by NSX2M4; 03-04-2021 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #3459
irunalot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
Here they come! Sigh. I'm sick and tired of these guys. Every single one I make sure I don't sub.

Quote:

Should be marked as "Cars for dummies by dummies".
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3196.50

03-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #3460
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Most of these "buyers" will dump their car within a 2 year period.

That's how these car influencers always do it. It is extremely rare they hold onto any car because it won't give them profit or anything past a certain date. I saw this guy who bought his dream car, a GT4 (hence why I saw the video lol) and within 4 month period, he sold it. His reasoning was that, because this was also a job, if the videos aren't generating enough profits, he has to get rid of it to do something new.

That is ALL these YouTube people do. It is almost universal at this point. So, any one of these yahoos saying that in their videos, I can promise those cars will be gone within a 2 year period or less. Especially once the real reviews from drivers that actually have a brain cell and know their cars like Chris Harris.

Influencers are the worst. Most are awful at lying, and rarely have anything beneficial/helpful to say if you, yourself, did any homework before hand. BMW finding these ppl to do their talking will backfire eventually because they aren't loyal. Once the hype dies off, they move on to another new thing. It is always the same cycle over and over.
I have a feeling they are relying on the YouTube streaming income to pay for their "dream car" so once the views and likes go down, they gotta move onto the next hype car to keep people watching their crap.
Appreciate 4
irunalot371.00
CT_M3984.50
Arcades3717.50

03-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #3461
dms-01
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Nothing wrong with gold on a car. My buddy has had a couple MB sprinters, one blue and one cement gray. Both he did gold emblems and badges and it's a subtle nice touch.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 07:07 PM   #3462
irunalot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Manufacturers give them cars so they can get viewers, this makes them money. If a manufacturer does not like what you say you will get cut off. It happened to Chris Harris with Ferrari. As stated, its gorilla marketing done by unqualified reviewers. It's sad that BMW has resorted to this garbage. It's manipulative as they are trying their best to keep BMW happy and are not providing truthful reviews of a product.

You think that G80 was taken to AMMO because he's an awesome detailer? No, it's so they could expose it to his viewers. While doing so it also drives up his traffic. I personally love AMMO but can still see the manipulation.

I guess everyone is doing it now. You can avoid or hedge the bad reviews from real journalists with an overload of garbage opinions that eventually make the good journalists look like the loons.

Last edited by irunalot; 03-04-2021 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 3
CT_M3984.50
GrussGott12782.50
MFNATIK3196.50

03-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #3463
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbar View Post
highlighted the non-grille lines ... disguised the hood "vents" ... put a character line through the door handles where it should be.

They've done a similar job on the rear end.
Exactly! They've essentially added what should've been there and hid everything else - the other smart move is the asymmetrical hood/roof/trunk decal which pulls the eye from the center of the car to only focus on the left 1/3 top and the shoulder line.

Really good makeup job - clean and from a distance it undoes the clashing lines disaster.

Quote:

the supermodel photoshoot. Reality of what you wake up next to is going to be different

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.

Last edited by GrussGott; 03-04-2021 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
MFNATIK3196.50
Darth One4337.50

03-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #3464
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Another idea that struck me is body colored grills! I'm sure some enterprising after market company will offer it.

Lipstick on a pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Exactly! They've essentially added what should've been there and hid everything else - the other smart move is the asymmetrical hood/roof/trunk decal which pulls the eye from the center of the car to only focus on the left 1/3 top and the shoulder line.

Really good makeup job - clean and from a distance it undoes the clashing lines disaster.

Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 08:53 PM   #3465
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_M3 View Post
Another idea that struck me is body colored grills! I'm sure some enterprising after market company will offer it.

Lipstick on a pig.
They kinda fixed the mirrors and side vent too:

Quote:
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3196.50

03-04-2021, 08:57 PM   #3466
stein_325i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz

Garage List
Radar sensor still looks awful and hard to miss. The only way to make this car pretty is to redesign the whole front bumper, hood, and headlights.
      03-04-2021, 09:10 PM   #3467
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Radar sensor still looks awful and hard to miss. The only way to make this car pretty is to redesign the whole front bumper, hood, and headlights.
Whoa now. You forgot the fenders, front door, mirrors, rear door, rear quarter panel, trunk, rear bumper, taillights, and exhaust valence. The only thing they got right about the G8X is the interior and that's only bc a separate team designed it from the exterior.
Appreciate 5
      03-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #3468
stein_325i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz

Garage List
Quote:
Whoa now. You forgot the fenders, front door, mirrors, rear door, rear quarter panel, trunk, rear bumper, taillights, and exhaust valence. The only thing they got right about the G8X is the interior and that's only bc a separate team designed it from the exterior.
True, a lot of items, with a new front bumper hood and headlights it would at least be passable though, main point is that even in all black with those manhart modifications, those three main design cues still stuck out like a sore thumb even on the "best" spec. No lipstick/makeup to fix this but rather deep cosmetic surgery.
      03-04-2021, 09:35 PM   #3469
Arcades
Lup's Kid
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have a feeling they are relying on the YouTube streaming income to pay for their "dream car" so once the views and likes go down, they gotta move onto the next hype car to keep people watching their crap.
The only guys that are different are the owners of 90s Japanese sport imports because those cars are extremely hard to come by now. Those owners are different because their culture is different.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
GrussGott12782.50

03-04-2021, 09:37 PM   #3470
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
EL for the f8x sounds 100 times better than this. hell non-EL f8x sounds better than this. first time actually hearing the g8x rev out and its terrible--did they get anything right with this car LOL
Man the S55 sounds atrocious in all configurations so this thing must be ear bleeding bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:55 PM   #3471
Arcades
Lup's Kid
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Man the S55 sounds atrocious in all configurations so this thing must be ear bleeding bad.
It isn't any different than the S55 actually.

As with almost all exhaust videos, the recording device is unable to capture the entire audio range correctly so the exhaust sounds worse than it would usually be.

The S58, so far anyway, has a deeper tone but that is it. It isn't any different than the S55 exhaust noise.

Quote:

Last edited by Arcades; 03-04-2021 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2021, 11:16 PM   #3472
Tecnniqe
Sad ///M noises
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
If I was getting one I’d definitely would skip that option.
Talk about a sore thumb.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:23 PM   #3473
izzym3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3C'18/MX-5Club'20/MacanGTS'21

IMO even the F80 engine bay looks way better to me than the G80.
I remember thinking the first time I saw the F80's engine bay, I was really wowed by its looks with the cf bit and top mount intercooler.
Contrary to the new G80's is like any other engine, just average.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
NickyC8023.00

03-04-2021, 11:28 PM   #3474
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzym3 View Post
IMO even the F80 engine bay looks way better to me than the G80.
I remember thinking the first time I saw the F80's engine bay, I was really wowed by its looks with the cf bit and top mount intercooler.
Contrary to the new G80's is like any other engine, just average.
We did without CF engine braces for decades. The G8X not having one isn't a deal breaker.
Appreciate 1
ntg442195.00

03-05-2021, 12:06 AM   #3475
RugbyBro
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

For some TBT action for this thread... now these are some freaking family photos - they are all very obviously related, you can see the family genes are strong in each one. It's actually really cool looking at these now that F8X is the outgoing generation. It's cool to see how and when certain elements were introduced and how they've evolved

GERMAN M32700.50
CanAutM315925.00
stein_325i12004.00
CT_M3984.50
FormulaMMM2372.00
Jockey2602.50
bm4w117.00

03-05-2021, 12:37 AM   #3476
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The fenders, front door, mirrors, rear door, rear quarter panel, trunk, rear bumper, taillights, and exhaust valance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post

We did without CF engine braces for decades. The G8X not having one isn't a deal breaker.
shit adds up. This is why you have friends - they pull you outta the bar at close even though "she's really hot!".

Dude, no. she's not.

Quote:
Appreciate 10
RugbyBro1484.50
Arcades3717.50
MFNATIK3196.50
Tecnniqe895.00
minn198632.50
stein_325i12004.00
ra2289265.50
Jockey2602.50