EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
poor-sha
Enlisted Member
16
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (0)

Configuring an Aim Solo DL

Can someone tell me how to configure my Aim Solo DL to actually get data off the CAN bus? When I mailed Aim tech support a while ago they suggested using the F21 or M235i ECU type but both are still yielding no data other than the internal sensors on the Aim.

I'm at the track today and tomorrow so I'd love to get this working.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 02:03 AM   #2
redpriest
Colonel
redpriest's Avatar
United_States
1365
Rep
2,202
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 / 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 BMW M4  [5.00]
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poor-sha View Post
Can someone tell me how to configure my Aim Solo DL to actually get data off the CAN bus? When I mailed Aim tech support a while ago they suggested using the F21 or M235i ECU type but both are still yielding no data other than the internal sensors on the Aim.

I'm at the track today and tomorrow so I'd love to get this working.
Use OBDII CAN, make sure you have the OBDII cable.



I haven't tried the F21/M235i settings. You don't get braking data, but you get a decent assortment of data. Here's my comparison of my recent Laguna lap in my M4 to a lap of mine in my E92 M3:

__________________
'06 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT | JRZ RS Pro + Hyperco 650/750 | Epic Tune | Brembo 355mm BBK | too many to list
'11 BMW M3 ZCP DCT | Akra Evolution | MS Intake/pulley | JRZ RS Pro + Hyperco 700/800 | BPM Stage2/DCT tune | Dinan sway bar + monoballs | AP Racing Radi-CAL BBK by Essex | 265/35-18 Maxxis RC-1 on APEX EC-7s
'17 BMW M4 ZCP 6MT - Individual Tanzanite Blue + Opal White Leather
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
poor-sha
Enlisted Member
16
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks. I just tried that and I get more data but not PPS like you have. I do get TPS but that's not exactly the same. In my case the TPS never goes below 17% or above 84% which I assume is expected.

FWIW, I finally managed to break in to the 1:21's at Summit Point so I'll have something to add to the lap time thread at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 01:52 AM   #4
redpriest
Colonel
redpriest's Avatar
United_States
1365
Rep
2,202
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 / 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 BMW M4  [5.00]
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poor-sha View Post
Thanks. I just tried that and I get more data but not PPS like you have. I do get TPS but that's not exactly the same. In my case the TPS never goes below 17% or above 84% which I assume is expected.

FWIW, I finally managed to break in to the 1:21's at Summit Point so I'll have something to add to the lap time thread at the end of the day.
Yeah, even with the PPS you get 14 minimum 82 peak. Weird that you don't get the PPS data stream.
__________________
'06 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT | JRZ RS Pro + Hyperco 650/750 | Epic Tune | Brembo 355mm BBK | too many to list
'11 BMW M3 ZCP DCT | Akra Evolution | MS Intake/pulley | JRZ RS Pro + Hyperco 700/800 | BPM Stage2/DCT tune | Dinan sway bar + monoballs | AP Racing Radi-CAL BBK by Essex | 265/35-18 Maxxis RC-1 on APEX EC-7s
'17 BMW M4 ZCP 6MT - Individual Tanzanite Blue + Opal White Leather
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
turbo8765
Captain
54
Rep
753
Posts

Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Use OBDII CAN, make sure you have the OBDII cable.



I haven't tried the F21/M235i settings. You don't get braking data, but you get a decent assortment of data. Here's my comparison of my recent Laguna lap in my M4 to a lap of mine in my E92 M3:

Your stock f82 is faster than your e92 on JRZ’s?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
redpriest
Colonel
redpriest's Avatar
United_States
1365
Rep
2,202
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 / 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 BMW M4  [5.00]
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
Use OBDII CAN, make sure you have the OBDII cable.



I haven't tried the F21/M235i settings. You don't get braking data, but you get a decent assortment of data. Here's my comparison of my recent Laguna lap in my M4 to a lap of mine in my E92 M3:

Your stock f82 is faster than your e92 on JRZ’s?
Pirelli slicks vs street tires
__________________
'06 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT | JRZ RS Pro + Hyperco 650/750 | Epic Tune | Brembo 355mm BBK | too many to list
'11 BMW M3 ZCP DCT | Akra Evolution | MS Intake/pulley | JRZ RS Pro + Hyperco 700/800 | BPM Stage2/DCT tune | Dinan sway bar + monoballs | AP Racing Radi-CAL BBK by Essex | 265/35-18 Maxxis RC-1 on APEX EC-7s
'17 BMW M4 ZCP 6MT - Individual Tanzanite Blue + Opal White Leather
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
bravehart38
Private First Class
bravehart38's Avatar
27
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: 15' M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Frisco, TX

iTrader: (5)

Question. Is it worth getting data directly from the CANBUS on the F8X since there is such limited data? Should we just stick to the OBD connection until AIM makes more channels available?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
dvas
Lieutenant
dvas's Avatar
291
Rep
421
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehart38 View Post
Question. Is it worth getting data directly from the CANBUS on the F8X since there is such limited data? Should we just stick to the OBD connection until AIM makes more channels available?
I think that certain data, braking data for example, is just not available through the OBD II on these cars. I'm looking into making the switch to direct to ECU for my M2.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
3773
Rep
15,966
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Equipped with electronic steering wheel or anything else communicating with CAN?
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST