Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #23
AM4ZING
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 MW/SO 6MT, E46 M3 AW/IR 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Had this light appear yesterday on my car...
From the posts above, maybe it came on cuz ive been letting the rear end get loose on turns.... or maybe cuz my driveway has a steep angle so each time i go up, one rear wheel floats in the air and traction engages until it finally pulls up the driveway...

My concern.... I was supposed to install wheel spacers today but not sure if i should visit the dealer first or just F it and install spacers and wait for the light to re-appear (i just dont want them to blame the problem on the spacers )
      06-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #24
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

My tech ordered me new sensors and wire harness this time. Says if this doesn't work then something else is the problem. I'll keep you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #25
MGF80
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Skyscraper Grey G80

Seen this a few times. My guess is whoever installed your suspension did not unbolt the sensors before removing the oem spring perch off the strut. The sensors damage easily when this happens because you need to use a good amount of force to beat these off the strut. Just my guess....
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 02:06 PM   #26
gtrsam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF80
Seen this a few times. My guess is whoever installed your suspension did not unbolt the sensors before removing the oem spring perch off the strut. The sensors damage easily when this happens because you need to use a good amount of force to beat these off the strut. Just my guess....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrsam
swapped my left front acceleration sensor and it fixed the problem. common issue with kw has because you may forget to remove the sensor first when banging off the bracket on shock
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #27
gily
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Chassis restricted

Guys Im having the same issue, I have the chassis restricted warning and can not set the the different damping settings nor use M1, M2 buttons; This happened after installing the KW HAS; I took it to the dealer and they say that it is due to having different heights in the front, does that seem correct? they say they do not know how long its going to take them to fix it and that there's a 50/50 chance that it will work; from what I have read there should be an accelerator sensor issue but they say sensors are ok they are reading, any suggestion?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #28
mattkim85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Any updates on a fix?

I was parking my car in my driveway yesterday (spot has a slight incline) and I suddenly got a chassis malfunction message. I was at full clockwise lock pulling in.

I started up the car this morning (fingers crossed) and the chassis malfunction warning pops up again. It is for sure in Sport +, and I can still change steering and throttle response. I can also change traction control too.

I'm just worried about taking the car to a dealer since I recently got the Hex Tune Flash and I'm lowered on H&R Sports.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2018 F83 M4 MW
2020 F97 X3MC BSM
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #29
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

I'm going to ask the dumb question...

Is anyone running a diagnostic adaptation for the chassis dynamics ECU's to correct the change in ride height and consequently the expected kinematic positions so that the lateral, vertical, yaw, roll, and slip sensors are calculating the proper values?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #30
Signal512
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 15 C300

Had swift springs installed today and I'm having this issue. Anyone gave the part number and cost of the sensor?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #31
Signal512
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 15 C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roychimac View Post
My tech ordered me new sensors and wire harness this time. Says if this doesn't work then something else is the problem. I'll keep you guys updated.
Any luck with your fix?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #32
flysrilankan
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardZed View Post
OP understandably annoyed, so give him some latitude. Mine has done it 4 times on the track with completely stock suspension. They've replaced my sensor twice and my entire right front strut this last time. What's worse is that they really don't know how to fix it yet, just replacing parts for now.
Mine has been doing this for about a year now. No end in sight. Replaced the rear sensors, then the steering angle sensor. Last week, the rebooted the software. Problem recurred 2 days later. Call me beyond frustrated.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #33
s4play
Car Tuning Geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: too many rides....

thanks guys for chiming in - just had the KW HAS installed and this code popped up on my car too.

My car is a 2016 with under 2000 miles so will take to dealer tomorrow to diagnose.

Will report back...
15 Ferrari 458 Spider
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #34
CreoUCLA
Bruin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S6 → 2016 M3

Any updates on fixes for this? I started having the "chassis function restricted" error intermittently. I took the car to the dealership, they replaced the sensor/harness on the shock, but I was told that they could not run the diagnostic adaptation as it was giving them a "vehicle too low" error (I'm on Macht Schnell springs).

Now the "chassis function restricted" error comes on at every startup. The dealership said I can install the stock springs and then come back in to complete the adaptation.

I'm going to investigate with ISTA once my ENET cable comes in.
      04-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #35
CLEANM4
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 AW/M4 MT

Should have kept the Christmas lights up!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #36
6speeds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Anyone found solution please??? I have the macht schnell lowering springs, i get a chassis malfunction now my suspension defaults to hard setting i cant change suspension settings its always on hard and my M buttons dont work.. i checked everything is there an adaptation procedure
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #37
davidkillion
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 6MT

2015 on H&R with ZCP coding

ok, I'm pretty frustrated with this issue. I had KW CS installed and EDC disabled. I sold the KW and went back to the EDC with just some H&R springs, with ZCP coding at the same time. Ever since, nothing but problems.

This is "I hate this f'ing thing, I'm going to sell it" bad. If I have to back out the ZCP and put the stock springs back on it, I'm done with it - and likely BMW M.

Here's what happened after installing the EDC/H&R: Immediately when starting the car afterwards, I think the error was "chassis malfunction", but it could have been "chassis function restricted". The shop troubleshot it for 2 hours. They said take it to BMW. BMW had it for about 9 days and replaced the right rear shock twice and thought it was fixed. 300 miles later, now I'm getting "chassis function restricted". BMW had the car for another 8 days before they said to put the stock springs back on it in order for them to keep working the issue. The error comes and goes --- but when it is present, it infuriates me. Usually goes away if I drive a bit and turn the car off.

We all have a right to be pissed that we purchase a BMW M car and can't install reputable stiffer/shorter springs.

I'm open to ideas.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #38
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Looks like I'm having the same issue. I'm getting really frustrated by the "we can't find a code" game. It even happened in their possession and they couldn't find any codes. Mine is bone stock.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1421713
      09-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #39
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
Looks like I'm having the same issue. I'm getting really frustrated by the "we can't find a code" game. It even happened in their possession and they couldn't find any codes. Mine is bone stock.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1421713
Most likely sensor damaged. I actually had the same issue while I was on stock suspension.

If you're all stock, I recommend going to the dealer and having them check the EDC sensors on the shock.

Warranty will cover this issue
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:10 AM   #40
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Most likely sensor damaged. I actually had the same issue while I was on stock suspension.

If you're all stock, I recommend going to the dealer and having them check the EDC sensors on the shock.

Warranty will cover this issue
Thank you for responding, I appreciate the input. This has been happening for a while. They've replaced all of these. They are now looking to replace the Diff. It has been out of service for 2 months.
      09-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #41
CreoUCLA
Bruin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S6 → 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkillion View Post
BMW had it for about 9 days and replaced the right rear shock twice and thought it was fixed. 300 miles later, now I'm getting "chassis function restricted". BMW had the car for another 8 days before they said to put the stock springs back on it in order for them to keep working the issue. The error comes and goes --- but when it is present, it infuriates me. Usually goes away if I drive a bit and turn the car off.
At least yours goes off. Mine is still on every time within the first 5-10 seconds of driving. Like you, BMW said I have to put the stock springs back on before they can try anything else. I tried adapting with ISTA+ and bought an additional sensor, but no dice. I plan on putting the car back to stock in a few months, and then moving on to a new car (as my lease is up next year anyway)...
      03-17-2018, 12:25 AM   #42
6speeds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Guys this is sooo frustrating i still have the drivetrain malfunction its on all the time still cant change suspension settings, Its on hard all the time by defaults and i cant use my M buttons...i have lowering springs checked all connectors a million times changed the front speed sensors nothing works. I dont want to install the stock spring any ideas? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #43
rogue23
Registered
Rep
Drives: yas marina blue 2017 M3

did anybody have a hard time getting it fixed under warranty just because you had installed an after market springs or has kw coil over sleeves? just wondering cuz I'm having the same issue now with the chassis error. not able to use the M buttons as well.. thanx in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #44
boss2k
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue23 View Post
did anybody have a hard time getting it fixed under warranty just because you had installed an after market springs or has kw coil over sleeves? just wondering cuz I'm having the same issue now with the chassis error. not able to use the M buttons as well.. thanx in advance
Exactly my point, issue didn't happen before spring install so why will it be covered under warranty, its great if BMW covers it but won't they blame it on custom parts? Trying to understand as I am going to get my Eibach installed soon , was this an install issue?
Appreciate 0