European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-04-2024, 09:33 AM   #1
theoluv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ALpine White M3

Drivetrain Malfunction -Wastegate actuator short

Received the drivetrain malfunction error occurred at 87K miles. Took into dealer was charged $2400, $1700 labor 600 for the part. I pulled the code before going in with my cheap EUC reader. Also had the plugs changed as well for the typical $1100 since the car was being ripped down. What to other think?

Never had any other problems prior. Love the car. Been driving since new 2017, but I think we are moving into the self maintenance era of ownership.

Actual code
- Wastegate B, Bank 2 turbocharger malfunction
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:56 AM   #2
drummajorc
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

What year is the car? I had this on bank 1, I am not sure what they are doing to justify that labor cost, but it was very doable from the top of the engine on bank 1, just remove the air filter and its right there. An indy should also be able to handle easily. I imagine bank 2 can also be reached from the top or bottom, it is 4 bolts, a connector, and nut holding the arm on.

I purchased an actuator from a dealer as it appears this one is slightly different to the OE one for the N55/N20, got it for $450 and replaced myself. I do trust that these had issues, as this was I think the 3rd revision of the part number and my 2015 had the first on it.

VERY IMPORTANT: make sure you take pictures and count the exact number of turns the small nut is positioned to on the shaft, and make sure the waste gate arm is put back in the exact same position or you will have to do a recalibration/positioning process in ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 11:24 AM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoluv View Post
Received the drivetrain malfunction error occurred at 87K miles. Took into dealer was charged $2400, $1700 labor 600 for the part. I pulled the code before going in with my cheap EUC reader. Also had the plugs changed as well for the typical $1100 since the car was being ripped down. What to other think?

Never had any other problems prior. Love the car. Been driving since new 2017, but I think we are moving into the self maintenance era of ownership.

Actual code
- Wastegate B, Bank 2 turbocharger malfunction
Probably would of been cheaper if done by a BMW Indy shop TBH...assuming you know one you can trust.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 01:23 PM   #4
theoluv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummajorc View Post
What year is the car? I had this on bank 1, I am not sure what they are doing to justify that labor cost, but it was very doable from the top of the engine on bank 1, just remove the air filter and its right there. An indy should also be able to handle easily. I imagine bank 2 can also be reached from the top or bottom, it is 4 bolts, a connector, and nut holding the arm on.

I purchased an actuator from a dealer as it appears this one is slightly different to the OE one for the N55/N20, got it for $450 and replaced myself. I do trust that these had issues, as this was I think the 3rd revision of the part number and my 2015 had the first on it.

VERY IMPORTANT: make sure you take pictures and count the exact number of turns the small nut is positioned to on the shaft, and make sure the waste gate arm is put back in the exact same position or you will have to do a recalibration/positioning process in ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 01:31 PM   #5
aliiin
I use my turn signal
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

I had this problem at ~79k miles, 2018. Parts $628 and labor $810.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 05:22 PM   #6
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

$1100 for plugs is kind of insane. I was quoted $380 by my indy shop.

You won't have to do them again for awhile but if you can follow directions from YT videos, this is a fairly straight forward DIY and it's ~$70 for the plugs. If I can do it, anyone can. Better value if you FCPEuro your parts.
Appreciate 1
Shaq935.00
      02-27-2024, 09:30 AM   #7
theoluv
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummajorc View Post

Appreciate 0