Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

08-05-2023, 04:14 AM   #1
SteveCRH
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4C

M4C break in...

Hi Guys,

I joined this forum when I had my M2 but never posted. Now I have a 2019 M4C. Very recently it was broken into and the entire steering wheel stolen. Its a thing apparently. The estimate for repair is over £5k. The list of parts is verging on epic. But when you consider the airbag alone of £1k ish, the steering wheel as well £1k ish. Plus all the smaller bits and pieces, I'm not that surpised at the £5k. The drivers side window was smashed, and the wheel just yanked out in about 10 seconds. I find it unbelievable that this can just be done like that.

Anyway, I have to leave my car roadside and haven't had any trouble in three years with both M2 and this M4. But I told BMW I'm going to offload the car unless there's a fix for it. There isn't. An engineer told the salesman I have contact with that the steering column is made of softer material so that if there is an accident, it simply breaks. This is the reason it's so easy to take the wheel. So basically, they'll return the car to me, nice and repaired, but the car is a sitting duck to it happening again. I can't get my head round that.

So obviously I've explored self-security measures. Steering wheel lock, DiskLok especially you'd think would be good because it's full enclosure, but no. WHeels have been taken with the whole Disklok still attached. They take them and can work at leisure later remove the lock. Those cross wheel locks again useless when they just yank the whole wheel off the steering column.

I've read of one guy who had his wheel stolen and now uses the DiskLok but additionally chains that to the pedals. I mean if it works, fair enough. I'd imagine the fit would have to be so that there was no play in it at all for the scum-bag, sorry thief, to be able to yank the wheel, which causes the damage. I've seen a video and it does take a fair old tug to ge it off.

I'd be interested in anyone else's experience and/or solutions. My car is in awaiting insurance approval for the repair at the moment, but I'm seriously thinking of getting a lesser car, even electric, that doesn't attract attention like the M4C does.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 04:55 AM   #2
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Unfortunately pal if someone wants something & is determined then they will get it, all you can do is add something like a Disklok & hope that they pass on your motor & move on to another less protected car. The good thing about the Disklok is that it hides the wheel so if you had say a more expensive M performance wheel fitted which would obviously be more desirable to the thieving scumbags they wouldn’t know.

If you do decide to fit one you want the small size & they do a wheel cover to help prevent marks.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 05:21 AM   #3
SteveCRH
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
Unfortunately pal if someone wants something & is determined then they will get it, all you can do is add something like a Disklok & hope that they pass on your motor & move on to another less protected car. The good thing about the Disklok is that it hides the wheel so if you had say a more expensive M performance wheel fitted which would obviously be more desirable to the thieving scumbags they wouldn’t know.

If you do decide to fit one you want the small size & they do a wheel cover to help prevent marks.
Yeah I now you're right. I've got a DiskLok in small. I will be using it, but it just doesnt fill me with confidence that the scum-bag - sorry, thief will take the hint and move on. We'll see! Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 08:31 AM   #4
S1NGH
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

That's awful mate, i feel for you.

Steering locks as you say prevent it, but it should act as a deterrent.

All the best whatever you decide to do....
      08-06-2023, 02:09 AM   #5
SteveCRH
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1NGH View Post
That's awful mate, i feel for you.

Steering locks as you say prevent it, but it should act as a deterrent.

All the best whatever you decide to do....
Ah thanks. There's better deterents about but alas not legal!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 05:30 PM   #6
mkizzo
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 LCI, F87 Comp

I might be thinking old skool here but is there a way to convert to a racing style quick release steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 06:01 PM   #7
Jbrown7403
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Wow. Sorry about the break in and theft. I really had no idea that steering wheel theft was a thing.
Appreciate 0