BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-02-2023, 05:41 AM   #1
kazad
Rep
Drives: Toyota

BMW M4 Comp Pack Questions - Please Help

Hi Guys,

I am looking to purchase a BMW M4 Comp Pack and came across the following which I do not quite understand, please could someone help me to understand the below?

I saw few listing on Autotrader as 3.0 BiTurbo GPF Competition Coupe 2dr Petrol DCT Euro 6 (s/s) (450 ps) and some as 3.0 BiTurbo Competition DCT Euro 6 (s/s) 2dr. I understand GPF is just a filter? Is there any major changes between GPF and the normal non filter comp pack? Would I lose power/torque with the GPF filter etc? Apologies if this is a silly questions but I just wanted to know what the difference is, appreciate your time and responses, thank you.

Thank You,
Kaz
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 10:39 AM   #2
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Firstly I’m no expert so please don’t anyone shoot me down if I’m wrong!

I don’t think there are any power differences between the cars with or without the filter, however, I’m lead to believe the filter cars sound much quieter, mine is a Nov 2018 build filter car & it’s quiet .

Also if you was wanting to put an M performance exhaust on your car these cannot be fitted to a filter car without modifications etc which would invalidate any warranty you may get with the car.

Best bet would be to buy a pre filter car, think they changed them around mid 2018 & the filter cars have a red stop/start button although these can be retrofitted, unfortunately I found a car in correct spec & colour I wanted so went with it even though it had the filter, at least it gives my neighbours some peace & quiet after having an M performance exhaust on my 440..

Also if you did buy a car with the filter there are numerous exhaust option out there to make it sound better if you don’t have or care about a warranty.

Hope this helps until an expert comes along & check out the M4 Facebook groups if you are on it as this topic comes up regularly along with insurance increases & crankhub problems!
Appreciate 1
kazad1.50
      11-04-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
Matt@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F82 M4, E36 M3 Touring, Z3

Are you looking to modify the car? If wanting to keep it standard I would look for a non-GPF(sometimes called OPF) car as they are louder as standard.

Believe BMW compensated for the filter to keep the power the same.

One thing I will mention is to get one after the tax bands changed as they’re much cheaper.

Once you start modifying they’re fairly similar, just with the added need to remove the GPF if going for catless downpipes and power.
Appreciate 1
kazad1.50
      11-10-2023, 07:53 AM   #4
kazad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
Firstly I’m no expert so please don’t anyone shoot me down if I’m wrong!

I don’t think there are any power differences between the cars with or without the filter, however, I’m lead to believe the filter cars sound much quieter, mine is a Nov 2018 build filter car & it’s quiet .

Also if you was wanting to put an M performance exhaust on your car these cannot be fitted to a filter car without modifications etc which would invalidate any warranty you may get with the car.

Best bet would be to buy a pre filter car, think they changed them around mid 2018 & the filter cars have a red stop/start button although these can be retrofitted, unfortunately I found a car in correct spec & colour I wanted so went with it even though it had the filter, at least it gives my neighbours some peace & quiet after having an M performance exhaust on my 440..

Also if you did buy a car with the filter there are numerous exhaust option out there to make it sound better if you don’t have or care about a warranty.

Hope this helps until an expert comes along & check out the M4 Facebook groups if you are on it as this topic comes up regularly along with insurance increases & crankhub problems!
Thanks Sheepy for the response, this is very helpful, much appreciated. I wanted to ask, is there much sound difference between the cars? Like yourself I have found the colour and spec I want but only issue is its 69 plate - is the sound considerably quiter than the pre filter cars? I’d like to keep the car as standard so it does not invalidate the warranty so not sure if I can upgrade the exhaust on the car.

Thanks,
Kaz
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 07:57 AM   #5
kazad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Evolve View Post
Are you looking to modify the car? If wanting to keep it standard I would look for a non-GPF(sometimes called OPF) car as they are louder as standard.

Believe BMW compensated for the filter to keep the power the same.

One thing I will mention is to get one after the tax bands changed as they’re much cheaper.

Once you start modifying they’re fairly similar, just with the added need to remove the GPF if going for catless downpipes and power.
Thanks Matt, I appreciate your response on this. I am not looking to modify the car, looking to keep it as is - I found the car and spec I want only thing is it is a 69 reg so this will be quieter than the pre filter cars. Just unsure on what to do, is the sound much different would you say or?

Thanks,
Kaz
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 03:52 AM   #6
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

The only thing I can suggest is to test drive both cars, it didn’t put me off buying a quieter car but then I’m now in my 50’s & I work shifts that can start & finish anytime 24/7 so it’s less of an impact on my neighbours during the night, I did slightly feel guilty about the noise with the M performance exhaust on my 440.
Appreciate 1
kazad1.50
      11-30-2023, 12:10 PM   #7
kazad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
The only thing I can suggest is to test drive both cars, it didn’t put me off buying a quieter car but then I’m now in my 50’s & I work shifts that can start & finish anytime 24/7 so it’s less of an impact on my neighbours during the night, I did slightly feel guilty about the noise with the M performance exhaust on my 440.
Thanks Sheepy appreciate that! Ahaha yes, I totally understand that!!! The noise these cars generate can be brutal at times!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 06:47 PM   #8
WhiteFox
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

2018 cars and onwards came with an OPF filter to meet emissions requirements this also meant that they remove the carbon prop shaft to fit the filters and replaced with a steel one. By doing this the 2018 - 2020 cars can not fit the M Performace exhaust either due to the filters being in the way and BMW will not homogeneous this on the cars fitted with OPF.

These cars are naturally therefore also quieter.

The best car production dates were late 2016-2017 as they are the comp pack cars with the right M4 setup without compromising what BMW wanted to create. (Carbon Prop Shaft lighter, no OPF louder and M Performace Exhaust)
Appreciate 0