EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Burned through a full set of pads at COTA

So I've been running Pagid RS29's (think they just rebranded them RSL29 last year) on the track since getting the F80 and have averaged about 3 events on a set before needing replacement.

Well put on my 3rd brand new set before the event at COTA with Chin last weekend and when taking them off was shocked to see that the rears were basically toast/at mins and the fronts were at about 25% left.

Only did 9 sessions total all weekend - granted 2 were 40 min sessions, love that Chin morning format - so was bummed to see that I'll need to drop $$$ on another set of track pads for the next event.

Anyone ever seen this kind of pad wear? It was hot, but didn't go out past 2pm so ambients were mid 90's not 100 like it was post 2pm.

Almost think they put the wrong pad/compound-type in the box given how far gone these were when I took them off.

9 sessions vs. ~3 events/25ish sessions is a HUGE delta in wear!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Both front and rear were brand new prior to the event? Running with MDM? What group did you run with them?

Again, the Pagid's frankly suck if you're pushing the car quite hard. It's best to run them at a slower pace compared to other pads. Also, the F8X steel brake setup is lame, adding cooling ducts is recommended and will extend the pad/rotor life. Last and most importantly, run Ferodo/Carbotech/Hawk moving forward...

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Wow that's essentially 11 sessions... That is a shit ton of track time over the course of a weekend.

I'd bet that back stretch braking zone is especially hard on them woahing it down from 150+mph? Think about how many times you did that over the course of the weekend haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

That's insane.

I've been running my PFC11s for 5 track days now (6 x 20 min sessions) pushing them to pre-abs all day long and I've got probably 10 more days on them at this rate.
Appreciate 1
fanatic11018.50
      09-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Yah, I'm honestly baffled. Never seen anything like this. Beginning to wonder if Turner - or Pagid - put the wrong compound pads in the box. As mentioned, this was my 3rd set of the same pad on this car and always got at least 3 events out of them. One event for $550 in pads is ridiculous

And to the couple of questions, I'm an instructor with Chin and run DSC fully off, no MDM mode at all...it's way too intrusive. And yes, they were brand new, only drove from the house to the track with them before this event.

Strange days indeed!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Continental02
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

COTA is really hard on the brakes of our car, so it sounds about right for the Pagids. You will get better life with some other manufacturers, but honestly, you're clearly finding the limitations of the stock brake system. I'm actually surprised you still have some front pad left after 11 sessions at COTA. The strange thing is that your rears are gone. I also run with DSC off and my rears last forever. You were happy with the brakes all weekend? Going through that amount of pad I would assume you were miserable with the lack of confidence in the brakes at certain points of the track.

You have a couple options here.

1. Accept the F8x eats the brakes and absorb the cost for pads on a frequent basis.
2. Run some sort of brake cooling and hope it helps.
3. Get an AP 9668 kit, and still go through pads, although not as fast, while having more confidence in the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I’ve noticed that the RSL29 are quite less stout than the previous RS29. I wear them down much faster than before, I even had 3 pads where the pad material sheared right off the baking plate. Quite scary when that happens as the pedal goes straight to the floor. I will be switching to PF08 next season.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental02 View Post
COTA is really hard on the brakes of our car, so it sounds about right for the Pagids. You will get better life with some other manufacturers, but honestly, you're clearly finding the limitations of the stock brake system. I'm actually surprised you still have some front pad left after 11 sessions at COTA. The strange thing is that your rears are gone. I also run with DSC off and my rears last forever. You were happy with the brakes all weekend? Going through that amount of pad I would assume you were miserable with the lack of confidence in the brakes at certain points of the track.

You have a couple options here.

1. Accept the F8x eats the brakes and absorb the cost for pads on a frequent basis.
2. Run some sort of brake cooling and hope it helps.
3. Get an AP 9668 kit, and still go through pads, although not as fast, while having more confidence in the brakes.
Had just flushed with SRF and the pedal was okay to start, but by Sunday was getting very close to the floor when standing on it. Thought it was just fade or air in the lines, but it must have been the pads going away as once I switched back to street pads, the pedal was back and firm as ever.

My experience has been that with all the trailbraking through the slower sections of COTA, the rears tend to be ever so slightly more worn than the fronts, but never seen it like this to where it was down to the backing plate essentially.

I'm going to try a different brand, as CanAut mentions in the post above, I also think the compound has changed going from RS29 to RSL29...
Appreciate 1
Nadeemp8114.00
      09-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I’ve noticed that the RSL29 are quite less stout than the previous RS29. I wear them down much faster than before, I even had 3 pads where the pad material sheared right off the baking plate. Quite scary when that happens as the pedal goes straight to the floor. I will be switching to PF08 next season.
I had some nice chunking on what was left of one of the fronts, agree it's time to look for another brand
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #10
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

How many events are on the car/brake system? Do you caliper pistons move freely? Maybe they're due for a rebuild? I wore down one of my fronts abnormally fast and it ended up being a stuck piston.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
How many events are on the car/brake system? Do you caliper pistons move freely? Maybe they're due for a rebuild? I wore down one of my fronts abnormally fast and it ended up being a stuck piston.
If it were one pad, I'd think that, but the caliper pistons move fine and it was pads on all 4 corners that were worn down. Really think it's this new compound, going to try something else moving forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #12
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

I switched from Pagids to Endless based on a buddy's recommendation (he was running them on his previous E92) and noticed a touch better longevity however the braking in my opinion is substantially better. Much better initial bite and zero fade lap after lap. They are a bit more expensive however. I managed to get 4 track days out of mine with approx another half day left in them.
      09-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #13
JC cs
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Similar experience at Schnellfest in June. Lack of initial and sustained bite disconcerting with RSL 29. Had to start braking earlier and earlier for T11. Good advice about alternatives. I used Girodisc pads (use their rotors) at MSR Houston but noise is quite an issue for the street if left on, friction is great.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #14
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix View Post
I switched from Pagids to Endless based on a buddy's recommendation (he was running them on his previous E92) and noticed a touch better longevity however the braking in my opinion is substantially better. Much better initial bite and zero fade lap after lap. They are a bit more expensive however. I managed to get 4 track days out of mine with approx another half day left in them.
Good stuff, thanks for the insight. I'm going to write Pagid and see what they say...expectations..none

Hope they over achieve
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #15
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Had just flushed with SRF and the pedal was okay to start, but by Sunday was getting very close to the floor when standing on it. Thought it was just fade or air in the lines, but it must have been the pads going away as once I switched back to street pads, the pedal was back and firm as ever.

My experience has been that with all the trailbraking through the slower sections of COTA, the rears tend to be ever so slightly more worn than the fronts, but never seen it like this to where it was down to the backing plate essentially.

I'm going to try a different brand, as CanAut mentions in the post above, I also think the compound has changed going from RS29 to RSL29...
IMO you’re simply exceeding the overall brake package’s heat capacity. You can either run a higher MOT pad like others are saying, and I bet the fluid fade will become more evident as it now becomes the weak link.

If you want to fix this issue you have to improve heat transfer from the rotor to ambient air. You can do this with ducting, or via rotors with more thermal mass and higher surface area within the vane structure - typically with a proper BBK.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #16
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3IGHTY View Post
IMO you’re simply exceeding the overall brake package’s heat capacity. You can either run a higher MOT pad like others are saying, and I bet the fluid fade will become more evident as it now becomes the weak link.

If you want to fix this issue you have to improve heat transfer from the rotor to ambient air. You can do this with ducting, or via rotors with more thermal mass and higher surface area within the vane structure - typically with a proper BBK.
Think you're missing the point here. I/We ran the old version of he RS29/RSL29 and could get 3 events, so it's not like there's a change in how we treat the pads on track.

That said, now I/we went through an entire set in one weekend, which is total BS.

It's def not like I've gotten faster, as I told Jade when he rode and coached me, if anything have gotten WAY slower only doing 3-4 events a year.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #17
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

It's combo of COTA and the weight of the car. I ran 22mm thick XR1's on my ST BBK with Ti shims and brake cooling ducts on DH Slicks.

I was below half thickness by the end of the second day (approx 9 25 min sessions). I can go 3X as long in my E92 which uses similar brakes.
Appreciate 0