EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

New Charge Cooler problem

Yesterday I got a new Forge Charge cooler installed. I got a bit scared by the leaking charge cooler posts and decided to go for it. The quality of the product is amazing, the only problem is, it's rubbing to the hood under WOT so I will have to figure it out.
The problem I have is that after installing there is strange sucking sound under WOT after installing it. Today I got an error code from the car 20A201:auxiliary coolant pump for Charge cooler, dry running detected. I checked the level of coolant fluid, it was 1/3 of max which I perfectly remember to be topped at the installation. Did anybody have similar problem?

Meanwhile, I topped the fluid again cleared the code and drove again for a while but didn't have any problem, just the suction sound is still there.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOZKAN View Post
Yesterday I got a new Forge Charge cooler installed. I got a bit scared by the leaking charge cooler posts and decided to go for it. The quality of the product is amazing, the only problem is, it's rubbing to the hood under WOT so I will have to figure it out.
The problem I have is that after installing there is strange sucking sound under WOT after installing it. Today I got an error code from the car 20A201:auxiliary coolant pump for Charge cooler, dry running detected. I checked the level of coolant fluid, it was 1/3 of max which I perfectly remember to be topped at the installation. Did anybody have similar problem?

Meanwhile, I topped the fluid again cleared the code and drove again for a while but didn't have any problem, just the suction sound is still there.
Did you run the purge cycle after replacing the cooler?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

You need to cycle coolant to get the air out
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
6SPD GOD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6SP

Bleed the air out of the system
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdoc View Post
Quote:

I believe my mechanic did it but is there a document for how to do it?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 12:11 AM   #6
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 MG F80 M3

I had to clearance the underside of the hood with a hammer, its just a small area where mine was rubbing on one of the braces under the hood bulge, you can also cut or whizz wheel it, its a very small area, I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. You should also check the j-pipe connections, is yours the stock one? I had a VRSF one that would never seal correctly, than went with a BMS one that works perfectly, never tried with the stock one.

Keep in mind the Forge is a different type of system than the stock cooler, it has a pressure cap on top of the IC that acts exactly like a typical auto radiator cap, meaning its under pressure when hot, and needs to be filled completely. The overflow tank on the side needs to be filled halfway, there's a mark on the window indicating where to fill to.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:09 AM   #7
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow2 View Post
I had to clearance the underside of the hood with a hammer, its just a small area where mine was rubbing on one of the braces under the hood bulge, you can also cut or whizz wheel it, its a very small area, I'll try and get a pic tomorrow. You should also check the j-pipe connections, is yours the stock one? I had a VRSF one that would never seal correctly, than went with a BMS one that works perfectly, never tried with the stock one.

Keep in mind the Forge is a different type of system than the stock cooler, it has a pressure cap on top of the IC that acts exactly like a typical auto radiator cap, meaning its under pressure when hot, and needs to be filled completely. The overflow tank on the side needs to be filled halfway, there's a mark on the window indicating where to fill to.
Thank you! I was thinking to solve the rubbing issue exactly like that since mine is also rubbing only at a small point on the top right corner.

My J pipe is OEM. What about the suction sound? Do you hear a different sound after installing it? Or mine has air in it and that's what makes this sound?
Appreciate 1
Shadow2121.00
      10-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The suction sound is 99% a boost leak somewhere, is the car down on power? Giving check engine light? Scan for any codes also. Check the J-pipe, thats where mine was leaking, but also make sure the meth bung on the Forge itself is tight, as well as the map sensor, basically check all the places where air can get into or out of the system.
Appreciate 1
CAOZKAN98.00
      10-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
You need to cycle coolant to get the air out
+1

Let us know how it goes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #10
blockdoc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24962333
Appreciate 1
CAOZKAN98.00
      10-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
The suction sound is 99% a boost leak somewhere, is the car down on power? Giving check engine light? Scan for any codes also. Check the J-pipe, thats where mine was leaking, but also make sure the meth bung on the Forge itself is tight, as well as the map sensor, basically check all the places where air can get into or out of the system.
You were right, J-pipe wasn't hooked well. We have placed it better now. This solved my engine error as it seems.
We solved the rubbing by hammering down the hood a little bit no big of a deal.
For the liquid indicator, somehow, I fill it to the max but it drops to mid or 1/3. My new assumption is I put a little too much liquid in the radiator itself and it pushes back some to the additional reservoir then the reservoir pushes it out since I don't think the escape hose isn't so sensitive to keep it at just maximum all the time. I will see and keep checking it more after putting on more kilometers or miles as you call it
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #12
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24962333
I don't know why but this one didn't work for my car, it didn't trigger the cycle.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #13
sicck_m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 Yas Marina M4

Purge the air out of the cooling system. Check your charge pipes and J pipe connection. Make sure they are both properly tighten on both sides.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #14
CAOZKAN
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Finally, I made the bleeding cycle happen, the pumps have worked for a while and I heard fluid running in the system but it didn't finish with fan turning off automatically. It just finished by itself after a while.
Meanwhile, my charge cooler is full of liquid, I keep filling up my reservoir tank till max but it keeps decreasing. I'm suspicious of the escape hose. Does it happen to you too? Or your tank is always at max or wherever you topped it up? I really appreciate if you can answer it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #15
Shadow2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I haven't checked it in awhile, I'll look at it tomorrow and let you know. The reservoir isn't supposed to be topped off, only to about the middle, the IC itself needs to be topped off, but it sounds like your good.
Appreciate 1
CAOZKAN98.00