Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #1
Bleser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 ///M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
European Number Plate Bracket - Frameless?

Hi all,

I know this isn't popular but I'm considering a Euro-sized plate for my M3 since the previous owner put holes in my bumper/ppf film and my state requires a front plate. Every solution I'm seeing that you can order has a thick/framed plate frame to mount it (like this).

However, actual Euro cars seems to be completely frame-less, like this:

Does anyone have insight on how the actual Euro plates are mounted? Is there a BMW part that I can't seem to find or some universal solution that doesn't require the plate to be framed?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KLETT-SET-f.../dp/B0756QFJR6
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Double sided tape. Picked up my car from Euro delivery and that's what they used. It's been almost 5 years and still holding strong.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
Bleser
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks guys. Tommy - the one you linked is unavailable but maybe I'll keep searching on UK Amazon, good thought. EDIT: Other Velcro options are all over the site. But I think I'd rather do double-sided tape.

I'm hoping somone from the UK or other European country chimes in here.

Double-sided tape does seem to be the easiest option that is reversible. Yessir , do you have any photos of your setup?

Last edited by Bleser; 10-08-2019 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 01:24 AM   #5
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleser View Post
Thanks guys. Tommy - the one you linked is unavailable but maybe I'll keep searching on UK Amazon, good thought. EDIT: Other Velcro options are all over the site. But I think I'd rather do double-sided tape.

Double-sided tape does seem to be the easiest option that is reversible. Yessir , do you have any photos of your setup?
I used dual lock by 3M for several years in my Elise. Very strong.
Appreciate 1
Bleser331.50
      10-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #6
Bleser
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
Out of curiosity, why the dual-lock (which can be pulled off as it is a Velcro material, right)? As opposed to just normal foam double-sided tape?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:16 AM   #7
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Hi all,

I know this isn't popular but I'm considering a Euro-sized plate for my M3 since the previous owner put holes in my bumper/ppf film and my state requires a front plate. Every solution I'm seeing that you can order has a thick/framed plate frame to mount it (like this).

Does anyone have insight on how the actual Euro plates are mounted? Is there a BMW part that I can't seem to find or some universal solution that doesn't require the plate to be framed?
I'm from Europe where we have to run those front plates.

BMW sells OEM plate holders for every model, the one below is for the F80, I believe. Most put another plate frame (like the one in your link) on top of that which is outrageous.

I just got mine taped for a clean look. Due to the shape of the bumper, I've bent the plate to make it flush. 3M or Tesa outdoor tapes are best.

Mine
Appreciate 1
Bleser331.50
      10-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
cionide
Second Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Most actual cars in europe have frames. That being said, this is probably just double-sided tape.
Bleser331.50
      10-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Mine looks exactly like swagon's with way less bugs, heheh the plate has a nice curvature that hugs the bumper in the same exact manner.
Appreciate 1
Bleser331.50
      10-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #10
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
Out of curiosity, why the dual-lock (which can be pulled off as it is a Velcro material, right)? As opposed to just normal foam double-sided tape?
Because you can remove the plate and then put it right back. Works best if car is of dark color so the strip that is attached to the bumper camouflages a bit. For instance, I don't have a front plate but at Amtrak parking they have started giving me tickets. So I just slap it on while parked and remove when I drive off.
Appreciate 1
Bleser331.50
      10-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #11
Bleser
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedback, everyone, very helpful!

I think I'm just going to struggle with what tape to use - I want to be able to remove it without ruining the PPF on my bumper (in case I dislike the result in the future). I want something weatherproof and strong but not "permanent," per se.

Last edited by Bleser; 10-09-2019 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 07:01 PM   #12
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I think I'm just going to struggle with what tape to use - I want to be able to remove it without ruining the PPF on my bumper (in case I dislike the result in the future). I want something weatherproof and strong but not "permanent," per se.
I've used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with great success but I don't know how it will react with your PPF. Just remember to clean your mounting surface off with some isopropyl alcohol to make sure there is a nice clean surface for the tape to bond to.
Appreciate 1
Bleser331.50
      10-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Hi all,

If your state (MO) requires a front plate, that means a real State Plate, not a fake EU plate.
Appreciate 1
Yessir371.50
      10-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #14
Yessir
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
If your state (MO) requires a front plate, that means a real State Plate, not a fake EU plate.
IK6SPEED is on the money!!! I got a fix it ticket here in California even though my CA plates are the same as my euro plates. I paid the 10 bucks, bought a tow hook mount plate,mounted the CA plate, got it written off, and took CA plate right back off. Here in CA they require DMV distributed plates to be mounted front and rear. I knew the risk and am still have the euro plate on after almost 5 years and 1 fix it ticket. Make sure and check your state laws and determine what is legal/illegal and be prepared for any fix it tickets if you deviate from state laws.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #15
derpimpkar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

i went down the same path but ended up leaving the tape in place.

this is bmw's euro frame part number - 51118056773

it's hell to find stateside but you may be able to get it shipped from oversea.
      10-12-2019, 05:49 AM   #16
Bleser
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Yep, I know. I hadn't run a front plate in Missouri for 10+ years until this car. The only reason I'm running one is because the previous owner drilled in the four holes for the OEM plate holder and there are also now lines in the PPF where the holder has pressed against the bumper. So, I will either keep that setup or go this Euro plate route, knowing it isn't technically legal.

I'm going after something S4toM3 has done:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessir View Post
IK6SPEED is on the money!!! I got a fix it ticket here in California even though my CA plates are the same as my euro plates. I paid the 10 bucks, bought a tow hook mount plate,mounted the CA plate, got it written off, and took CA plate right back off. Here in CA they require DMV distributed plates to be mounted front and rear. I knew the risk and am still have the euro plate on after almost 5 years and 1 fix it ticket. Make sure and check your state laws and determine what is legal/illegal and be prepared for any fix it tickets if you deviate from state laws.
Yep, this is the kind of thing I would expect - but after no tickets in over a decade with no front plate, I guess this can't be worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpimpkar View Post
i went down the same path but ended up leaving the tape in place.

this is bmw's euro frame part number - 51118056773

it's hell to find stateside but you may be able to get it shipped from oversea.
Awesome, thanks. I think I will be going the tape route as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #17
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

Double tape is not permanent, if you can get oem spoilers off, you'll have no issues with tape haha. I removed mine before installing PPF no problem. I have ran double sided tapes for years on cars, winter and summer.
      11-24-2019, 05:41 AM   #18
Bleser
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wanted to share my latest front plate solution, similar to what S4toM3 has done (and where I got the idea!).

I ordered custom plates from customeuropeanplates.com and tried to make them look like they would if they were legal (of course I know they are not). I went with the Missouri style + navy blue text on white (matching the state-issued plate theme) and my letters. It turned out well and currently I'm just using double-faced tape to mount the plate. The holes that are in my bumper dictated the placement and I wanted to be able to remove it if I didn't like it, but I've received lots of compliments (and questions) on it from folks.

Here is how it turned out for me:

Last edited by Bleser; 11-25-2019 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #19
Strmtrpr_F80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F80

I am shipping my car from Germany to the US. I am going to rock my IG plate due to my bumper having holes drilled into it. Thoughts
Attached Images

Appreciate 0