R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Any recommended upgraded motor mounts?

Dropping the engine this weekend and figured I'd upgrade the motor mounts too while I'm at it. Any recommendations? A quick google search showed an AKG one, but never heard of them.
      09-20-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Do you actually track or race the car? Do you want the extra NVH? My suggestions is just to replace it with new oem ones and call it a day. Car is stiff enough!

Why are you taking the engine out?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:57 AM   #3
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Do you actually track or race the car? Do you want the extra NVH? My suggestions is just to replace it with new oem ones and call it a day. Car is stiff enough!

Why are you taking the engine out?
Respraying the whole car a different color.
Will only be a couple track days a year at most.. Just major events. I guess OEM it is!
      10-12-2019, 02:26 AM   #4
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

AKG makes quality stuff. I have almost all of the AKG parts on my E92. Thing drives like it’s on rails.
Appreciate 1
mashimarho2098.00
      07-31-2023, 08:32 PM   #5
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
AKG makes quality stuff. I have almost all of the AKG parts on my E92. Thing drives like it’s on rails.
Old thread but I need new mounts as mine are probably cracked/worn out with 115k on them (feeling a lot of vibration, especially with fan on or AC on). Do you know who stocks these? AKG seems to be sold out.
      07-31-2023, 10:12 PM   #6
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughter.mode View Post
Old thread but I need new mounts as mine are probably cracked/worn out with 115k on them (feeling a lot of vibration, especially with fan on or AC on). Do you know who stocks these? AKG seems to be sold out.
Motor mounts? I'd stick with stock motor mounts and add these (go with the street/yellow version)...

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/pr...1787#attr=2632

I just did this combination on the F8X and there is some slight vibration at VERY slow speeds at start-up (1-2 mph) but goes away completely once you are on the road.

The inserts should add durability to the stock mounts since it will reduce movement overall.

I would not go with anything harsher/harder for motor mounts since they will rattle your brain out if you go with something harder than stock.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 10:19 PM   #7
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Motor mounts? I'd stick with stock motor mounts and add these (go with the street/yellow version)...

https://www.powerflexusa.com/shop/pr...1787#attr=2632

I just did this combination on the F8X and there is some slight vibration at VERY slow speeds at start-up (1-2 mph) but goes away completely once you are on the road.

The inserts should add durability to the stock mounts since it will reduce movement overall.

I would not go with anything harsher/harder for motor mounts since they will rattle your brain out if you go with something harder than stock.
They are rated similar to factory in terms of hardness and vibrational properties unless I go full race. I just like the way they’re designed. Rev Shift has an offering too but I don’t like the black + green. They also offer stiffer or same as stock (hardness/vibration) but made from polyurethane vs rubber for longevity. I’d rather not get inserts since mine are just worn out.
      08-01-2023, 12:10 AM   #8
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are rated similar to factory in terms of hardness and vibrational properties unless I go full race. I just like the way they’re designed. Rev Shift has an offering too but I don’t like the black + green. They also offer stiffer or same as stock (hardness/vibration) but made from polyurethane vs rubber for longevity. I’d rather not get inserts since mine are just worn out.
I did see that the 80A hardness still added quite a bit of NVH.

I’ve done solid bushings everywhere else but engine mounts are the one thing I really didn’t want to “upgrade” in full over stock.

Engine vibration is probably the most irritating out of everything because it rattles every single darn panel in the car.

I’ve done full upgraded motor mounts before and never again lol… even the inserts were irritating at first but at least I only feel it on cold start.

On my other car with full motor mounts, it rattles like hell every time you sit at a red light and it’s even worse when you turn on the AC.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 09:13 AM   #9
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
I did see that the 80A hardness still added quite a bit of NVH.

I’ve done solid bushings everywhere else but engine mounts are the one thing I really didn’t want to “upgrade” in full over stock.

Engine vibration is probably the most irritating out of everything because it rattles every single darn panel in the car.

I’ve done full upgraded motor mounts before and never again lol… even the inserts were irritating at first but at least I only feel it on cold start.

On my other car with full motor mounts, it rattles like hell every time you sit at a red light and it’s even worse when you turn on the AC.
Yeah since it’s become hotter here in SoCal I’ve started using the AC and I noticed a ton of rattle. I haven’t used the AC since I swapped my motor so I don’t know if it’s been this way the entire time or not. With the AC off the car is fine. I took it back to the shop and they took a look and said my tensioner is wiggling aka the spring is just worn out. I wonder if that’s really all it is. I mean my car does have 115k on the chassis but it’s only 5 years old. I drive a lot. I’d imagine they’d have noticed the cracked / worn motor mounts when we re-installed the new engine. If not there’s also these RevShift mounts with 80A poly in them (stock feel). Wonder if they’d be a useful sidegrade.
      08-01-2023, 11:20 AM   #10
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah since it’s become hotter here in SoCal I’ve started using the AC and I noticed a ton of rattle. I haven’t used the AC since I swapped my motor so I don’t know if it’s been this way the entire time or not. With the AC off the car is fine. I took it back to the shop and they took a look and said my tensioner is wiggling aka the spring is just worn out. I wonder if that’s really all it is. I mean my car does have 115k on the chassis but it’s only 5 years old. I drive a lot. I’d imagine they’d have noticed the cracked / worn motor mounts when we re-installed the new engine. If not there’s also these RevShift mounts with 80A poly in them (stock feel). Wonder if they’d be a useful sidegrade.
I'd replace the belt and tensioner first and see if that fixes it

Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #11
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
I'd replace the belt and tensioner first and see if that fixes it
Yeah I am in the same boat. The idler is bouncing all over the place. Seems like an easy job that requires little dismantling, too. From what I've YouTube'd it just consists of removing the intake pipe and carbon brace...do it in my sleep at this point.. I just ordered a new tensioner, idler pulley, other idler pulley, and both the bolts (since they seem to be microencapsullated). Will install when they arrive and see if that fixes things. Belts are new so I'm just going to re-use them. Thanks!