Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
M4fosho
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

After 3 Ms, it's on to the next one...

So after 1 year of ownership, I’m moving on from my 2017 M4 Competition Package. It has been a great driving experience with this twin-turbo monster but with a baby boy on the way, we needed something a little more practical. I knew this was going to be my last “fun” car until the baby came. I did want to share my experiences over the past year in hopes that it helps a potential future buyer in the used car market.

I’m no stranger to BMWs (and Ms in particular) previously owning a 2001 BMW M3 in 6 speed and 2000 BMW M5 -- checking M3, M4 and M5 off the BMW bucket list.

Pros/Cons
Fast. Fast. Fast -- Almost too fast, which is also its own worst enemy. Since the day I picked it up, I struggled with getting the power of 444 ponies to the ground on its rear wheels. Even after swapping out tires, this was a huge problem launching aggressive yet smoothly on 1st and 2nd gears. I even read of owners who complained about this the very first day they purchased the car brand new off the lot. I know the new M3/M4 is rumored to have AWD – but the concept images that are out there with the large kidney grills have really turned me off. ��

Carbon Fiber Roof -- Yes, it’s sexy as hell but I did miss the practicality and convenience of a sun/moonroof.

Competition package -- I test drove some non-comp. cars, but the choice is clear – this package is a MUST. Boost in horsepower, black accents but the exhaust (looks and sound) alone makes this package worth it.

Exhaust sound -- This grew on me quickly, especially in Sport+. I drive exclusively on Sport+ throughout my ownership to take advantage of the Competition exhaust. The gurggling/popping was one of the selling points for me in this car.

Turbo spool sound -- Let down the driver window while driving the twisties and you’ll be able to hear the turbo spool up nice and loud. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

DCT transmission -- Admittedly I was reluctant at first, but I was sold after the first week. I commute in traffic, so swapping to simple Drive mode was as simple as a flick of the wrist. I always thought a “true” sports car would be manual, but this has changed my mind forever. The combination of practicality and convenience is top-notch. The shifts are as smooth as butter. My only callout is that jumping on to an on-ramp and downshifting may get you in trouble. Thinking I was shifting down a single gear, the car downshifted to 2nd on the freeway on me a few times.

Gas mileage -- 20 MPG mixed between city and highway. This was absolutely amazing for me considering the amount of power this car has.

The "look back" -- 10 out of 10. Backing this car into a parking spot, I don't think I've ever NOT done the look back. More than once on multiple occasions.

Comparing this to a E46 M3 -- Believe it or not, I would take the E46 in a heartbeat. Something about the 6 cylinder NA motor and 6 speed transmission really makes me miss that car. The perfect combination of torque and horsepower for city driving.

So after 3 Ms, I’ve decided to go with a Tesla Model X. Part of this has to do with it being one of the safest SUV (baby on the way), and the other is going the EV route. I’ve been waiting over 2 years for BMW to step up their EV/hybrid game, but I was unimpressed with the I4 Concept.

I’m sure I’ll be back on this forum again soon but the I4 Concept + M concepts/rumors with the large kidney grills have really turned me off from BMW for now. Thank you everyone on this forum for all your help over the years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      03-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #2
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Great writeup, pics of the X or it didn't happen!
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3391.50
      03-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #3
Walmart Parking Lot
Cart Attendant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Shopping Cart Comp

Awesome, thank you for reviewing! Good luck on your new journey with the Model X
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
xxHRxx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82

can't agree more with the look back, not a single time not done that
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Congrats. A good friend has a 100D model x and it’s a great family hauler.

My $0.02 is get an f80 (people in Europe make a golf work fine as a family hauler...) but EV is a solid choice.

No waiting for model Y performance?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:19 PM   #6
M4fosho
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

Appreciate the positive feedback from everyone. I really thought I was going to get flamed for going the EV route.

Model Y was never an option because I wanted the falcon wing doors and a full size SUV. Makes it a lot easier to put a car seat in. Model Y is based off the 3 and a tad small for my taste.

Dropping off the M today and picking up the X tomorrow. Timing worked out great and once again, thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #7
Rus.K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW ZCP M3

Congrats on the X! EV's are awesome DD's, especially here in the bay.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4fosho View Post
So after 1 year of ownership, I'm moving on from my 2017 M4 Competition Package. It has been a great driving experience with this twin-turbo monster but with a baby boy on the way, we needed something a little more practical. I knew this was going to be my last "fun" car until the baby came. I did want to share my experiences over the past year in hopes that it helps a potential future buyer in the used car market.

I'm no stranger to BMWs (and Ms in particular) previously owning a 2001 BMW M3 in 6 speed and 2000 BMW M5 -- checking M3, M4 and M5 off the BMW bucket list.

Pros/Cons
Fast. Fast. Fast -- Almost too fast, which is also its own worst enemy. Since the day I picked it up, I struggled with getting the power of 444 ponies to the ground on its rear wheels. Even after swapping out tires, this was a huge problem launching aggressive yet smoothly on 1st and 2nd gears. I even read of owners who complained about this the very first day they purchased the car brand new off the lot. I know the new M3/M4 is rumored to have AWD – but the concept images that are out there with the large kidney grills have really turned me off. ��

Carbon Fiber Roof -- Yes, it's sexy as hell but I did miss the practicality and convenience of a sun/moonroof.

Competition package -- I test drove some non-comp. cars, but the choice is clear – this package is a MUST. Boost in horsepower, black accents but the exhaust (looks and sound) alone makes this package worth it.

Exhaust sound -- This grew on me quickly, especially in Sport+. I drive exclusively on Sport+ throughout my ownership to take advantage of the Competition exhaust. The gurggling/popping was one of the selling points for me in this car.

Turbo spool sound -- Let down the driver window while driving the twisties and you'll be able to hear the turbo spool up nice and loud. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

DCT transmission -- Admittedly I was reluctant at first, but I was sold after the first week. I commute in traffic, so swapping to simple Drive mode was as simple as a flick of the wrist. I always thought a "true" sports car would be manual, but this has changed my mind forever. The combination of practicality and convenience is top-notch. The shifts are as smooth as butter. My only callout is that jumping on to an on-ramp and downshifting may get you in trouble. Thinking I was shifting down a single gear, the car downshifted to 2nd on the freeway on me a few times.

Gas mileage -- 20 MPG mixed between city and highway. This was absolutely amazing for me considering the amount of power this car has.

The "look back" -- 10 out of 10. Backing this car into a parking spot, I don't think I've ever NOT done the look back. More than once on multiple occasions.

Comparing this to a E46 M3 -- Believe it or not, I would take the E46 in a heartbeat. Something about the 6 cylinder NA motor and 6 speed transmission really makes me miss that car. The perfect combination of torque and horsepower for city driving.

So after 3 Ms, I've decided to go with a Tesla Model X. Part of this has to do with it being one of the safest SUV (baby on the way), and the other is going the EV route. I've been waiting over 2 years for BMW to step up their EV/hybrid game, but I was unimpressed with the I4 Concept.

I'm sure I'll be back on this forum again soon but the I4 Concept + M concepts/rumors with the large kidney grills have really turned me off from BMW for now. Thank you everyone on this forum for all your help over the years.
I use the Macan "S" for the little one, "M" is my fun. BTW, wise choice and good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Appreciate the positive feedback from everyone. I really thought I was going to get flamed for going the EV route.

Model Y was never an option because I wanted the falcon wing doors and a full size SUV. Makes it a lot easier to put a car seat in. Model Y is based off the 3 and a tad small for my taste.

Dropping off the M today and picking up the X tomorrow. Timing worked out great and once again, thanks everyone!
Quote:

You only get flamed for going from M3 to Tesla Model 3... I kid I kid

Great write up; enjoy the new beast!

What color Model X?

Definitely post pictures when you get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #11
eurogeek
Rep
Drives: f87 M2, f80 M3,

Quote:
So after 1 year of ownership, I'm moving on from my 2017 M4 Competition Package. It has been a great driving experience with this twin-turbo monster but with a baby boy on the way, we needed something a little more practical. I knew this was going to be my last "fun" car until the baby came. I did want to share my experiences over the past year in hopes that it helps a potential future buyer in the used car market.

I'm no stranger to BMWs (and Ms in particular) previously owning a 2001 BMW M3 in 6 speed and 2000 BMW M5 -- checking M3, M4 and M5 off the BMW bucket list.

Pros/Cons

Carbon Fiber Roof -- Yes, it's sexy as hell but I did miss the practicality and convenience of a sun/moonroof.

Turbo spool sound -- Let down the driver window while driving the twisties and you'll be able to hear the turbo spool up nice and loud. Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

DCT transmission -- Admittedly I was reluctant at first, but I was sold after the first week. I commute in traffic, so swapping to simple Drive mode was as simple as a flick of the wrist. I always thought a "true" sports car would be manual, but this has changed my mind forever. The combination of practicality and convenience is top-notch. The shifts are as smooth as butter. My only callout is that jumping on to an on-ramp and downshifting may get you in trouble. Thinking I was shifting down a single gear, the car downshifted to 2nd on the freeway on me a few times.

So after 3 Ms, I've decided to go with a Tesla Model X. Part of this has to do with it being one of the safest SUV (baby on the way), and the other is going the EV route. I've been waiting over 2 years for BMW to step up their EV/hybrid game, but I was unimpressed with the I4 Concept.

I'm sure I'll be back on this forum again soon but the I4 Concept + M concepts/rumors with the large kidney grills have really turned me off from BMW for now. Thank you everyone on this forum for all your help over the years.
Honestly you can totally get away having a little one and the M4! It's not as difficult as one thinks. I had an e46 m3 with my first kid and now I have f87 M2 with two kids. As long as a stroller or double stroller fits in the trunk you are golden

That being said great choice for a replacement though. So if you wanted an excuse to get the Tesla then excellent but you can make a 2 door bimmer work easy. And I am 6'1" so my seat is back a decent amount .

We'll see you soon you'll likely miss the seat of your pants driving feel.
Appreciate 0