HRE Wheels
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #45
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO17 View Post
I'm a bit confused here... How does flashing the gearbox software ( GTS DCT flash) alter the exhaust note ? I have always assumed this is directly related to the engine tune - which cannot be flashed unless the ECU has been unlocked already (?)
Gearbox and engine module take inputs from each other to make this possible and the change of the exhaust sound is noticeable straight away after the flash.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #46
gsr
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d & M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slips View Post
Post back your thoughts on the updates. Are you going to Henry or having it done remotely?
Mine is November 2014 and running original software. It's a bit hairy getting the power down and handling is fidgety on uneven roads. Doesn't feel anywhere near as stable as my E60 M5 did at higher speeds. Still a great car though. Just a bit worried about software updates effecting warranty.
Had the GTS reflash & software update done on Saturday remotely by Henry (Kurai).

Had the following coded too - folding mirrors on lock, DRL on/off, acoustic beep on (un)lock & start/stop from memory.

Only had the chance of a short blast but initial thoughts are :
- a lot better off the line with kangarooing eliminated from 1st gear
- deeper exhaust note through the range even with CG valve controller installed
- various codings can be done at the same time (see above)
- smoother gear changes (in sport and sport + mode)
- haven't noticed extra burbles or blips (mine is a 2014 non-CP car)
- haven't noticed extra hp but to be honest haven't been for a real blast yet
- haven't noticed any change in steering but Henry mentioned this is more noticeable in MDM mode.

Would I recommend the reflash? Yes, especially for older cars
Would I recommend Henry (Kurai)? Yes

Gordon
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #47
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Had the GTS reflash & software update done on Saturday remotely by Henry (Kurai).

Had the following coded too - folding mirrors on lock, DRL on/off, acoustic beep on (un)lock & start/stop from memory.

- haven't noticed any change in steering but Henry mentioned this is more noticeable in MDM mode.

Gordon
Probably the most useful report back I've read to date - thanks!

My concerns were the steering (didn't want anything heavier) and the potential for too many burbles (although I have the CP so still not sure how much different it will sound!).

I'm going to go for it though - as soon as I've done a couple of other bits.
      10-26-2017, 06:31 AM   #48
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG_M3CP View Post

My concerns were the steering (didn't want anything heavier) and the potential for too many burbles (although I have the CP so still not sure how much different it will sound!).

Some people prefer the GTS steering (I do) and some don't, it's optional and reversible. It keeps you safer at higher speeds with more control especially in the wet during hydroplanning so you can drive with confidence.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:34 AM   #49
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Gordon
Thanks for the feedback Gordon!

Extra burbles and blips may be more noticeable on existing CP cars and engine remapped cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 07:27 PM   #50
Wills2
Barge driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G11 740d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurai View Post
Some people prefer the GTS steering (I do) and some don't, it's optional and reversible. It keeps you safer at higher speeds with more control especially in the wet during hydroplanning so you can drive with confidence.
I've never driven any car that can do anything when water gets between the road and the tyre. That's some M magic going on there how does the steering clear the water?
      10-28-2017, 03:50 AM   #51
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well I'll have to test it out; if comfort is unchanged then I'll be happy.

I'll give you a shout over the next couple of weeks to book in.

10-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #52
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Comfort is improved massively as it's much more smoother especially at low speeds. It's like a new car after the latest September 2017 updates and latest GTS software upgrades done together.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #53
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I've never driven any car that can do anything when water gets between the road and the tyre. That's some M magic going on there how does the steering clear the water?
Steering has more road feel. The electric power steering kicks in when car is about to slip and you'd feel it on the steering wheel in time instead of just on the seats. This applies to both non-wet and wet conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #54
Sbm007
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 M4 MW/SO

Definitely would recommend the GTS flash, makes a noticeable difference IMO! Haven't got my car set up with the other GTS changes yet so can't comment on that.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #55
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Comfort is improved massively as it's much more smoother especially at low speeds. It's like a new car after the latest September 2017 updates and latest GTS software upgrades done together.
Well my car s/w is being updated as we speak at the dealer so let's see what version I get...
      11-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #56
Wills2
Barge driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G11 740d xdrive

Quote:
Steering has more road feel. The electric power steering kicks in when car is about to slip and you'd feel it on the steering wheel in time instead of just on the seats. This applies to both non-wet and wet conditions.
But not when there is water between the road and the tyres (hydroplaning) there is zero control in those conditions no matter what you're driving, was my point.
      11-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #57
JayJogia
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJogia View Post
I was worried about my warranty too, my M4 is only 4 months old! Spoke to Henry about it and he confirmed that being OEM software your not doing g anything aftermarket. I'm taking my M4 in for a checkup next week so will find out if they deem.it out of warranty!
Heads up all - took my M4 in on Wednesday for some repairs within the warranty (distorting speakers). The did their usual diagnostics checks as they do.. and nothing about the warranty being void came up even though i have some of the gimmky software has been added (alarm beep on unlock/lock, auto fold mirrors on lock and rear DRL's always on, etc... So guys proceed with full confidence from my experience..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #58
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Pack

This has all been interesting to read but so many different views out there on what this might offer, how it changes the dynamics of the car and also the warranty situation. I particularly liked the comment about flashing the bonnet and also the flash removing more water between the tyres and the road! A really good debate going on.

Has anyone spoken to the dealers about having this flash done by them as the only bit that would interest me is the flash for the gearbox. I suspect that might be the only discernible difference that would be felt?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #59
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Found the below but from one of our American colleagues. Is this available by someone in the UK and in person?

? At my computer now so I can type a detailed response.

GTS DCT - An absolute must. It transforms the DCT gearbox to the point where it feels like an entirely different vehicle. I was seriously considering ditching the F80 because the gearbox was driving me crazy. Everyone says "you need to learn to adapt to it, you are driving it wrong, etc." NOPE. The stock DCT software just sucks. Jerky acceleration is gone. Jerky downshifts is gone. Faster upshifts and non-jerky downshifts are in place. Going into reverse is instant. Slow speed driving (e.g., around parking lots) is MUCH better. You lightly press the throttle and it moves forward slowly and smoothly with no jerk. Stock, it was press throttle, go nowhere, press more throttle, you jerk forward, press more throttle, you hit the car in front of you. No more of that non-sense. It is transformational. Just do it, now.

GTS Power Steering - 2nd best change relative to the DCT. When your steering wheel is dead center, when you move left or right, there is a "dead spot" that no matter how much you move it, the car stays straight. This means you need to give more steering input to get the car to turn. NO MORE!! With the GTS PS, you barely touch the steering wheel, it turns. The steering is more sensitive, but in a good, confidence inspiring way. For some reason, I also get the sensation that the steering is "smoother" in comfort mode. It's lighter, feels more natural, and makes the car a pleasure to drive on short or long journeys. You don't need to wrestle with the steering wheel as much. I can turn the wheel with my pinky finger and its super smooth. Definitely helps with driving fatigue in day to day traffic. The steering is noticeably more precise. Do it, now.

GTS MDM - MDM hardly kicks in anymore. Makes the car feel more natural and balanced without all the nannys telling me what I can and can't do. In a way, its more playful and fluid. Feels like the systems are getting in the way of letting the M3 be an M3.

GTS Diff - It's hard to distinguish what this changes due to the GTS DCT flash being done at the same time. However, you might as well just do it if you are going to do everything else. I am OCD and I hate when things are "incomplete" or "doesn't match." The whole package above will transform your F80.

I was a skeptic. I was reading some forum posts of people saying this and that, but I didn't have time to mess around since today is my day off after working 100+ hours last week and getting out of the office at 2am last night. I wanted to treat myself after a long stressful project was finally over. I decided to pull the trigger this morning without much research and thought. BOY AM I GLAD I DID!!
Appreciate 1
AnthonyR185.00

11-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #60
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm definitely going for this but trying to find a date for Henry to do the flash. Wanted to go and see him but looking like I'll have to go with the remote option as I've got too much going on.
      11-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #61
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm definitely going for this but trying to find a date for Henry to do the flash. Wanted to go and see him but looking like I'll have to go with the remote option as I've got too much going on.
Where is Henry based?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #62
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Fisher View Post
Quote:
Where is Henry based?
North London if I recall right.
      11-09-2017, 07:01 AM   #63
AnthonyR
Major
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 - M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Fisher View Post
Quote:
Where is Henry based?
North London, he maybe able to meet in Stevenage. I took mine to both as I had a few things done
      11-28-2017, 05:18 AM   #64
K2HKS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 COMP

Had my f80 competition m3 GTS software update done from Henry at the weekend excellent service.
F80 comp has been completely transformed across all GTS four software items.
Much more traction and more confidence inspiring with smoother direct steering and smoother yet sharper gearshifts.

Highly recommend this software update for your m3/m4 and Henry
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 05:23 AM   #65
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2HKS View Post
Had my f80 competition m3 GTS software update done from Henry at the weekend excellent service.
F80 comp has been completely transformed across all GTS four software items.
Much more traction and more confidence inspiring with smoother direct steering and smoother yet sharper gearshifts.

Highly recommend this software update for your m3/m4 and Henry
His car was already on the latest November 2017 stock software.

The latest November 2017 M4 GTS software has transformed his F80 Competition Package even further! Glad you love the change!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #66
chrisross19
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible Comp Pack YMB

GTS Flash - Remote

Hi, Had my M4 Vert Flashed with all the GTS options and what a difference. Car feels a lot more planted on the road - steering is a little heavier, but i think feels better. Power easier to put down and smoother too! i also had a few other codes as well as the 2017 November update. Not driven too far so far, but feels better all round.

A great job by Henry!! Thanks again

Chris
Appreciate 1
AnthonyR185.00