European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #67
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisross19 View Post
Hi, Had my M4 Vert Flashed with all the GTS options and what a difference. Car feels a lot more planted on the road - steering is a little heavier, but i think feels better. Power easier to put down and smoother too! i also had a few other codes as well as the 2017 November update. Not driven too far so far, but feels better all round.

A great job by Henry!! Thanks again

Chris
My pleasure Chris
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #68
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 CP

Am I correct in thinking that the software fine tunes the rough edges and provides a more cohesive package? I do find the DCT a pain when trying to park particularly when trying to edge forward or reverse slowly. Is this a full on remap with power increased or just the GTS modes? Would it be overwritten by the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #69
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SR View Post
Am I correct in thinking that the software fine tunes the rough edges and provides a more cohesive package? I do find the DCT a pain when trying to park particularly when trying to edge forward or reverse slowly. Is this a full on remap with power increased or just the GTS modes? Would it be overwritten by the dealer?
Dealer can overwrite it if they are updating the car with an even newer software available to the car's current version.

The OEM GTS software is a remap to the DCT, Rear diff, Electric power steering and traction control.
It is not a GTS engine remap. You can get the standard engine software updated to latest if you wish. BMW sometimes increase the power slightly on engine updates.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #70
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurai View Post
Dealer can overwrite it if they are updating the car with an even newer software available to the car's current version.

The OEM GTS software is a remap to the DCT, Rear diff, Electric power steering and traction control.
It is not a GTS engine remap. You can get the standard engine software updated to latest if you wish. BMW sometimes increase the power slightly on engine updates.
Thanks for the update, that makes sense. Is it possible to get it redone if the dealer overwrites?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #71
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update, that makes sense. Is it possible to get it redone if the dealer overwrites?
Absolutely
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #72
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Pack

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely
Has anyone had experience of the dealer overwriting the GTS maps or even mentioning it during a routine service?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #73
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Fisher View Post
Has anyone had experience of the dealer overwriting the GTS maps or even mentioning it during a routine service?
They don't notice its there. It's OEM BMW software and error-free. Usually if there's a newer update available and they update it, it gets wiped. If they don't update the car, obviously it stays.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 04:31 AM   #74
eandy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

Kurai can you map / program in the GTS DCT TCU, Steering, Diff settings etc on a car running Bootmod3 software?

Is this side of things a separate entity so to speak?

Bootmod3's upgrade is purely for the DCT TCU whereas I want the steering, diff and ideally CS EDC settings but no idea if they conflict or are separate areas on the DME / ECU's so to speak?

Figured you would know as you've mapped cars tuned by MSL, GAD etc which I assume is probably the same scenario as for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 03:04 AM   #75
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandy View Post
Kurai can you map / program in the GTS DCT TCU, Steering, Diff settings etc on a car running Bootmod3 software?

Is this side of things a separate entity so to speak?

Bootmod3's upgrade is purely for the DCT TCU whereas I want the steering, diff and ideally CS EDC settings but no idea if they conflict or are separate areas on the DME / ECU's so to speak?

Figured you would know as you've mapped cars tuned by MSL, GAD etc which I assume is probably the same scenario as for me.
Same scenario. I can map the GTS steering, diff, traction for you on top of bootmod3 as well as latest updates. DME is separate so it's fine and won't overwrite.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #76
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

About time I posted up on here having met Henry last Thursday to get GTS and 2017 updates.

I've now had several days to play with things and I'm delighted with it.

Throttle in Sport and Sport + is now usable. No more stupid kangarooing. I still don't see much point in using Sport + off the track but that's just me. Sport though is now just so more usable day to day.

Steering. Interesting as people say it's heavier but I could have sworn it was lighter. That could be down to fact my car is on coilovers and geo is different. Anyway, I am more than happy with it. it's not an Elise in feedback but it's okay.

MDM and Diff. So this is the biggie for me. I hate the standard MDM - it's far too nannying and frankly inconsistent in what it does. I have tried for the last 20k since the car was mapped (and thus changed how it worked - improved it slightly) to suss it and sometimes it would cut things and other times it would just let go. It genuinely ruined the car. I remember driving the ACS M4 that was an older car than mine and that was great fun. With mine, it was just too nannying.

With the GTS update, it's bloody brilliant. Okay, I need to say this right from the start. If you are coming from a post '16 car with nannying MDM, don't assume it will save you. First test I did on my private roundabout was just plant my foot and keep it planted. Result - the car will spin. That was my first good news as it meant the new MDM would give far more slip! The reason I say this first is be in mind, this isn't like TC but with a wiggle anymore - it will and can bite unless you drive the car with some intelligence.

I've been playing more (on my private roundabout) to try and understand the differences between new MDM and TC off (as there is no comparison between MDM and TC on now). Thoughts are as follows. So first if you're around 3k in 2nd and boot the throttle and lift, with TC off, you can unsettle the car to then decide what to do. In MDM mode, it will snap back to safety. That is echoed on a small bend in 2nd or 3rd. If you panic on oversteer, it will help pull you back.

But that diff seems to lock up so damn quickly, it's just sooooooo friendly. When it does go, don't panic, it's very managable. With winters on in cold, have had back lighting up at top end of 3rd and it's a pussy cat.

So roundabouts (private ones of course) now require a different technique. GTS MDM likes a prod and then a constant or slightly varying throttle and it will happily keep a decent slip angle for as long as you want to go round. Back off completely and it will try and help you out and stop things (up to point where physics will overrule anything). It's not spiky at all and quite the opposite of what I do (in the wet) with TC off. It does seem to quell that build of boost and almost make the engine more managable in operation.

The diff seems to be on another planet now. Traction is pretty good and it hooks up so evenly - none of this nasty side slip wishy washyness before it locks. So even where traction does break, you've got time to have a cup of tea before worrying about it pulling the car out of line.

It's bloody brilliant and what I've been missing with this car all along. Please, if you're used to booting in MDM and car saving you on loose traction corner, if you do get GTS upgrade, bear in mind what I've said.

BUT it's transformed my car and I absolutely love it.

Oh and pulling out of junctions? None of this terrifying reduced acceleration unless you're absolutely straight in slippy conditions. Whether you like driving sideways or not, this in itself makes a massive difference.

Thanks to Henry for sorting it. He's a really nice chap. I have ESYS and a cable but flashing I wasn't happy to do and it was worth getting him to do it.

Hope that helps.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux

Last edited by gtsussex; 02-21-2018 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 3
eandy32.50
gatsojon477.50
Bee Pee1167.50

02-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #77
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Same scenario. I can map the GTS steering, diff, traction for you on top of bootmod3 as well as latest updates. DME is separate so it's fine and won't overwrite.
What is Bootmod3? Already regretting answering this!
How do you learn all this stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #78
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
About time I posted up on here having met Henry last Thursday to get GTS and 2017 updates.

I've now had several days to play with things and I'm delighted with it.

Throttle in Sport and Sport + is now usable. No more stupid kangarooing. I still don't see much point in using Sport + off the track but that's just me. Sport though is now just so more usable day to day.

Steering. Interesting as people say it's heavier but I could have sworn it was lighter. That could be down to fact my car is on coilovers and geo is different. Anyway, I am more than happy with it. it's not an Elise in feedback but it's okay.

MDM and Diff. So this is the biggie for me. I hate the standard MDM - it's far too nannying and frankly inconsistent in what it does. I have tried for the last 20k since the car was mapped (and thus changed how it worked - improved it slightly) to suss it and sometimes it would cut things and other times it would just let go. It genuinely ruined the car. I remember driving the ACS M4 that was an older car than mine and that was great fun. With mine, it was just too nannying.

With the GTS update, it's bloody brilliant. Okay, I need to say this right from the start. If you are coming from a post '16 car with nannying MDM, don't assume it will save you. First test I did on my private roundabout was just plant my foot and keep it planted. Result - the car will spin. That was my first good news as it meant the new MDM would give far more slip! The reason I say this first is be in mind, this isn't like TC but with a wiggle anymore - it will and can bite unless you drive the car with some intelligence.

I've been playing more (on my private roundabout) to try and understand the differences between new MDM and TC off (as there is no comparison between MDM and TC on now). Thoughts are as follows. So first if you're around 3k in 2nd and boot the throttle and lift, with TC off, you can unsettle the car to then decide what to do. In MDM mode, it will snap back to safety. That is echoed on a small bend in 2nd or 3rd. If you panic on oversteer, it will help pull you back.

But that diff seems to lock up so damn quickly, it's just sooooooo friendly. When it does go, don't panic, it's very managable. With winters on in cold, have had back lighting up at top end of 3rd and it's a pussy cat.

So roundabouts (private ones of course) require a different technique. GTS MDM likes a prod and then a constant throttle and it will happily keep a decent slip angle for as long as you want to go round. It's not spiky at all and quite the opposite of what I do (in the wet) with TC off. It does seem to quell that build of boost and almost make the engine more n/a in operation.

The diff seems to be on another planet now. Traction is pretty good and it hooks up so evenly - none of this nasty side slip wishy washyness before it locks. So even where traction does break, you've got time to have a cup of tea before worrying about it pulling the car out of line.

It's bloody brilliant and what I've been missing with this car all along. Please, if you're used to booting in MDM and car saving you on loose traction corner, if you do get GTS upgrade, bear in mind what I've said.

BUT it's transformed my car and I absolutely love it.

Thanks to Henry for sorting it. He's a really nice chap. I have ESYS and a cable but flashing I wasn't happy to do and it was worth getting him to do it.

Hope that helps.
Really helpful - I may need to understand the car more before I start to change things and therefore the current MDM would probably work in my favour. I take it that most have one remap for power upgrade and then another for other hardware?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 02:14 PM   #79
eandy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

gtsussex - fantastic write up thank you! need mine done very soon but I'm at central gravity on March 6th and really want the suspension done then this to really feel / see the difference.

Paul SR - Bootmod3 is basically engine remap in short for performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #80
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandy View Post
gtsussex - fantastic write up thank you! need mine done very soon but I'm at central gravity on March 6th and really want the suspension done then this to really feel / see the difference.

Paul SR - Bootmod3 is basically engine remap in short for performance.
Oh
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #81
F80Fun
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Hope that helps.

Thanks for this review VERY HELPFUL. I find MDM mode inconsistent. I have tried to push it beyond its limits but it has never let go. Sometimes gives a little amount of slide, sometimes gives nothing, probably down to how silly you are trying to be.

So thank you very much for the words of warning about how MDM mode will be effected, pretty much what I would like, but good to know before I try it out

So it sounds like lifting off if you get out of shape (or beyond your skill level) is now the point at which it will step in and hopefully save you, or try to. However if you are on part throttle or full throttle it will let you play...

Looking forward to this update!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 02:24 PM   #82
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep

How do you get in touch with Henry?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 05:21 AM   #83
AnthonyR
Major
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 - M4

Quote:
Henry is Kurai, msg him
      03-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #84
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate,
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #85
Rteyp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5M, M140i, E30 320, 65 E-Type

Had Henry work his magic on mine today, whilst I haven't fully explored it, a short trip showed an instant improvement in gear change and throttle response - much smoother. I had CS upgrade which is slightly less aggressive then GTS - its a vert after all.

Lots of other coded extras too and latest software.

Having a GAD stage 1 completed next Saturday so it will be like a new car at fraction of cost. Thanks Henry !
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #86
kurai
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rteyp View Post
Had Henry work his magic on mine today, whilst I haven't fully explored it, a short trip showed an instant improvement in gear change and throttle response - much smoother. I had CS upgrade which is slightly less aggressive then GTS - its a vert after all.

Lots of other coded extras too and latest software.

Having a GAD stage 1 completed next Saturday so it will be like a new car at fraction of cost. Thanks Henry !
Always happy to help! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #87
Mav281
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

I contacted Henry earlier in the week to setup a time/date for us to do the GTS Flash work on my M4 and was pleased when he suggested we get together at the weekend to get it all sorted. So today, I spent a good hour and a half battling my way through North London traffic (I'm sure there must have been a quicker was) to make the rendezvous point and meet up with Henry. Thanks to Henry for taking the time out to do the work on the car, much appreciated mate.

Like many others have, I just wanted to provide some feedback on the GTS software settings, so others can get a feel for just how much they might change the ride characteristics of your car.

Steering

I am going to start with what was probably the least important part for me and that was the steering. Someone mentioned above that despite the fact itís supposed to get heavier post flash they felt as though it had gotten lighter, this was also my initial reaction, and following a 40-mile drive home, Iím convinced. I have my M1 setting on comfort all round, lowest gear setting and traction control on full Ė itís my ďkids in the car modeĒ. Well, post flash the drive out of London in the same traffic I came in on just seemed easier. The steering felt lighter, which makes the whole car feel that little bit more manoeuvrable. Tempted to say maybe itís just me, but given Iím not the only one saying it, I think thereís an element of you make your own mind up on this one. When switching to M2 Ė which for me is the polar opposite end of the scale, everything on maximum attack and MDM mode, I canít honestly say it felt much different to pre flash. Perhaps time will tell on this one....

Diff/DCT Settings

One of my biggest grumbles was that the car struggled to lay down its power a lot of the time. For me this was in a number of situations Ė from a standing start, cornering, even coming off roundabouts in 3rd gear, I often used to get a twitchy rear end. That might be in part to the standard Conti tyres that are on the car, however I am sure there is an element of the car having a driver whoís always had 4WD or FWD up until now. This update, therefore, was the big one for me. WOW what a difference it makes. All of a sudden, I can get the car away from the lights quickly with virtually no slip, and where I would previously have had a twitchy back end coming off roundabouts, the car just powers away now, the difference is night and day. Really happy here.

The DCT is also much smoother up and down the gears now. In full auto mode when youíre taking it easy, the car moves up through the gears much swifter now, as in it changes at a lower RPM and doesnít hold onto gears for quite so long. Again itís a night and day difference and almost feels more like the standard BMW 8 speed auto now.

MDM

Because of the improved grip Iíve mentioned above, I didnít get an opportunity to really push the car to see how the MDM reacted. Having read feedback from others, I can well believe the improvement. Iíll feedback on this in due course.

Throttle Response

The Kangaroo in the fuel tank finally appears to have done one, WOOT! No more skipping about when pulling away from the lights using the paddles. Another big one for me and a great result.

Exhaust Note

Firstly I should mention that Iíve done the exhaust mod to open up the flaps in the exhaust permanently. I noticed the slight change in the exhaust note once Henry had done the flash, itís a slightly deeper burble than before the flash, not a huge difference but itís there. What did pleasantly surprise me is that itís gotten rid of the droning you get at 70mph on the motorway. Anyone whoís done this mod and has the DCT box will know what I mean, but with the GTS settings it now appears to have gone, or at the very least been hugely reduced. An unexpected bonus, I'm very pleased with.

Conclusion

All in all, Iím exceptionally happy with the GTS flash, mainly because you can actually feel a night and day difference in some of the settings. For me itís the GTS spec Diff/DCT settings that are the icing on the cake, the car now feels hooked up and genuinely powerful, whereas before I always expected to get some major slip and as a result lose power, which obviously takes away a lot of the fun factor.

Others that have had the GTS software flash done have suggested it makes the car feel totally different. For the most part, I have to agree with those sentiments, especially around the Diff/DCT settings. Simply put, with the GTS software flash done, this is how the M4 should have been from the get go. If you're on the fence as to whether or not to get this done, it is absolutely well worth doing, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with the results.

Once again a big thanks to Henry for your time this afternoon, much appreciated
Appreciate 2
      04-11-2018, 06:11 AM   #88
F82_Bavaria
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4 Coupe DKG

Hi everyone, i am Chris from Germany (Bavaria straight next to BMW HQ) and i won a 10/2015 M4. in one week i get the latest update of the whole car at my local bmw dealer. But after that i wanted to get the GTS flash. Is it possible to remotely flash my car ?

I have a good friend of mine with a laptop and every software and the newest updates, but he never flashed different firmware from different cars.

I hope you guys can help me out. Thank you very much.

Chris
Appreciate 0