INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
6SPD GOD
First Lieutenant
6SPD GOD's Avatar
United_States
80
Rep
319
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6SP
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation Reported SCH due to engine design flaw while using CBC?

Has there been any reported SCH due to engine design flaw from a vehicle running the crank hub bolt capture?

Last edited by 6SPD GOD; 11-05-2019 at 08:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,781
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD GOD View Post
Has there been any reported SCH from a vehicle running the crank hub bolt capture?
Similar question asked and replied to here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=237
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
ssgm1x
Lieutenant
ssgm1x's Avatar
United_States
199
Rep
557
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: cherry hill ,NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD GOD View Post
Has there been any reported SCH from a vehicle running the crank hub bolt capture?
I think the VTT Crank Bolt Capture has been out a few years now....
I am curious as well... has there been ANY reports of a SCH with just the CBC alone installed. I dont think i have seen any.....
Also, me personally i would only install the CBC on a car that has never spun the hub.
Do u agree ?
__________________
2018 BMW M3 DCT
10.67sec 1/4mi.@ 133.7mph, Stock Turbos, F80 Paul, BM3.
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4623
Rep
3,641
Posts

Drives: 981 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
I think the VTT Crank Bolt Capture has been out a few years now....
I am curious as well... has there been ANY reports of a SCH with just the CBC alone installed. I dont think i have seen any.....
Also, me personally i would only install the CBC on a car that has never spun the hub.
Do u agree ?
I have never seen/heard any incidents with CBC either. I'm planning to install just the CBC as well.
Appreciate 2
ssgm1x198.50
FSociety3470.50

      03-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #5
ssgm1x
Lieutenant
ssgm1x's Avatar
United_States
199
Rep
557
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: cherry hill ,NJ

iTrader: (0)

+1 Same here.

Although most "Shops" will likely say it is not the "Full Solution" ... lol
but it seems to be getting the job done, and at a minimal cost...
There are currently Zero reported spun hubs while using just the crank bolt capture.

Update:

Just saw post on fb 9/2020 somebody using the Full Solution (Max Psi) pinned hub just spun their crank hub.

There are more spun crank hubs with the full solution vs just the crank bolt capture.
__________________
2018 BMW M3 DCT
10.67sec 1/4mi.@ 133.7mph, Stock Turbos, F80 Paul, BM3.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4623.00

      03-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4623
Rep
3,641
Posts

Drives: 981 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgm1x View Post
+1 Same here.

Although most "Shops" will likely say it is not the "Full Solution" ... lol
but it seems to be getting the job done, and at a minimal cost...
It's definitely better than nothing...
I can't justify $3500 on something that might or might not happen. I have a 2018 M3 and have only heard of maybe 1-3 total SCH for this year anyway.
Take a look at these videos from a reputable shop from Germany:





They basically rebuilt an S55 with SCH. Towards the end of part 2, you'll see that they also decided to go with only the CBC solution. It may not be full solution but as you said, it's a solid protection and better than not having anything (and no, I don't feel like spending $4K+ on a keyed hub at least for now).
Appreciate 4
ssgm1x198.50
FSociety3470.50

      03-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #7
Wmf80
Major
572
Rep
1,484
Posts

Drives: f80
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Long Island ny

iTrader: (3)

What’s the price for a CBC? Parts and labor
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
overlook637
Lieutenant
212
Rep
412
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Take a look at these videos from a reputable shop from Germany:





They basically rebuilt an S55 with SCH. Towards the end of part 2, you'll see that they also decided to go with only the CBC solution. It may not be full solution but as you said, it's a solid protection and better than not having anything (and no, I don't feel like spending $4K+ on a keyed hub at least for now).
They used a CBC in conjunction with a different torque setting on the bolt. They added an extra 90 degree stretch to the bolt, like is done on the older engine designs.
Appreciate 3
M-Pilot4623.00
FSociety3470.50

      03-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Djdnav
Second Lieutenant
161
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Central FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
What’s the price for a CBC? Parts and labor
VTT sells them for $99.

/u/rotzy said it took him 4 hours to do it in the install thread he wrote, so multiply the shop rate times something around that.
__________________
///M3
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #10
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4623
Rep
3,641
Posts

Drives: 981 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
They used a CBC in conjunction with a different torque setting on the bolt. They added an extra 90 degree stretch to the bolt, like is done on the older engine designs.
Correct! I forgot to mention that part.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #11
musseilm
Second Lieutenant
musseilm's Avatar
22
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: F82 Mineral Gray
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: West Palm Beach, FL

iTrader: (1)

Also that german company has sold many bolt capture plates. And never had failures. These were also used by race teams according to them.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2019, 03:16 AM   #12
Rotzy
Captain
Rotzy's Avatar
United_States
471
Rep
646
Posts

Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83
Join Date: May 2014
Location: RI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
VTT sells them for $99.

/u/rotzy said it took him 4 hours to do it in the install thread he wrote, so multiply the shop rate times something around that.
It took me 4 hours, but that was without a lift, taking my time, cleaning parts in the engine bay as I went and taking pictures to post. A shop with any type of BMW engine bay experience should be able to do it in less time.
__________________
2016 F15 X5 50i M-Sport
2015 F83 M4
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #13
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Bluesummer's Avatar
Taiwan
544
Rep
15,815
Posts

Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
ok so this is why there's a ton of crank hubs FS at the classified lol. cntzl can you PM me what kind of quotes you have gotten for the CBC installation?
__________________
IG:d.violet.m3
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #14
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
M-Pilot's Avatar
United_States
4623
Rep
3,641
Posts

Drives: 981 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
ok so this is why there's a ton of crank hubs FS at the classified lol. cntzl can you PM me what kind of quotes you have gotten for the CBC installation?
To be fair, I still think spline lock hub provides a better protection if it's combined with CBC thanks to its one piece design. However, CBC is probably the best value considering how long it's been out and how much it costs etc (again these are just my opinions). Regarding the CBC labor, I got quoted $550 but I have seen quotes ranging from $500 to $600. Anything below $500 is pretty good deal however, just make sure it's a reputable shop.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2019, 11:39 AM   #15
FreeDarko
Lieutenant
152
Rep
536
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: UpNorth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdnav View Post
VTT sells them for $99.

/u/rotzy said it took him 4 hours to do it in the install thread he wrote, so multiply the shop rate times something around that.
Is there any difference between the parts they use in the video and VTTs?

Also does this German company offer theirs for sale with instructions?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #16
Djdnav
Second Lieutenant
161
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Central FL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Is there any difference between the parts they use in the video and VTTs?

Also does this German company offer theirs for sale with instructions?
-Googling is hard.
-No instructions, but someone posted a diy here. If that’s not enough, you should probably pay someone to do it.

-The vtt piece and the h2m piece look nearly identical, and both are made of “aircraft grade aluminum”. The h2m one uses oem bolts instal of the aftermarket hex ones, and is sold out, however.

https://www.h2motors.de/motorteile/b...raube/a-10643/
__________________
///M3
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #17
Chris@VargasTurboTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
1430
Rep
1,350
Posts


Drives: All Things TurboCharged
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
What’s the price for a CBC? Parts and labor
Website pricing is current, shoot me a PM or email for pricing (or call 510.537.2266) to book an appointment. 2 Spline lock installs, and a CBC install in the past 2 weeks. A lot of people are being smart, and getting these done BEFORE they have issues...

Last edited by Chris@VargasTurboTech; 03-27-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
FSociety3470.50

      03-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #18
Chris@VargasTurboTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
1430
Rep
1,350
Posts


Drives: All Things TurboCharged
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeDarko View Post
Is there any difference between the parts they use in the video and VTTs?
Not much different considering the German company ordered 10 CBC's about a year ago. We were out of stock, and the website said we had some, they got extremely upset. They canceled the order, sourced one from one of our stocking dealers, and knocked it off.

Your best bet is sticking with the original, which is $80 cheaper...

In the US we will ship the same day ordered with 2-day shipping.

For all the Euro guys. We have a stocking dealer in the UK. RossSport: https://www.rosssport.com/Brands/Var...-M3-M4-N55-S55

They carry the complete spline lock kits and CBC's...
Appreciate 4
      03-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #19
hatepotholez
Captain
247
Rep
990
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by musseilm View Post
Also that german company has sold many bolt capture plates. And never had failures. These were also used by race teams according to them.
I'm trying to find the part number to their bolts, in the video it looks like it is:

11377516895?

thx
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #20
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
4532
Rep
16,781
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (19)

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Not much different considering the German company ordered 10 CBC's about a year ago. We were out of stock, and the website said we had some, they got extremely upset. They canceled the order, sourced one from one of our stocking dealers, and knocked it off.
That sucks, frustrating to see hard work ripped off.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #21
FreeDarko
Lieutenant
152
Rep
536
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: UpNorth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
Not much different considering the German company ordered 10 CBC's about a year ago. We were out of stock, and the website said we had some, they got extremely upset. They canceled the order, sourced one from one of our stocking dealers, and knocked it off.

Your best bet is sticking with the original, which is $80 cheaper...

In the US we will ship the same day ordered with 2-day shipping.

For all the Euro guys. We have a stocking dealer in the UK. RossSport: https://www.rosssport.com/Brands/Var...-M3-M4-N55-S55

They carry the complete spline lock kits and CBC's...
Chris thanks for informing us.

Can you advise why you guys don't recommend the extra 90 degree stretch to the bolt, like it's done on the older engine designs?

One of the members here pointed out that's what the German shop is doing in the video.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 11:55 PM   #22
Bluer2
Lieutenant
240
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Houston

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepotholez View Post
I'm trying to find the part number to their bolts, in the video it looks like it is:

11377516895?

thx
Can somebody confirm the part number for the bolts?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST