Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #1387
adc
Major General
United_States
1928
Rep
6,195
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (7)

Caliper temps inside vs outside halves.

On anecdotal evidence, the inside half of the caliper runs cooler than the outside. My outside half is a nice dark green, and the inside half is still that pretty metallic blue.

Did anyone ever measure the temps on the 2 halves?
__________________

2018 F80 Santorini
2004 Z4 3.0
2014 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #1388
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
8308
Rep
8,207
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
This may be a dumb question - but is there a specific torque spec for the adjustment screws or is it just "tight enough"? I can't find a value anywhere
18ftlb?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #1389
NYG
Major
NYG's Avatar
United_States
1486
Rep
1,465
Posts

Drives: Corvette Z06
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
This may be a dumb question - but is there a specific torque spec for the adjustment screws or is it just "tight enough"? I can't find a value anywhere
What size are they?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #1390
RugbyBro
Major
RugbyBro's Avatar
2865
Rep
1,424
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Got an official answer from GC - the adjustment bolts should be torqued to 15 ft/lbs
__________________
F82 - Current
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #1391
RugbyBro
Major
RugbyBro's Avatar
2865
Rep
1,424
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Auto-X’d yesterday - was an absolute blast and an awesome way to feel out the limit and intentionally send the car over the limit. Spent the first half of the day working on lines and speed and riding the limit, second half going over the limit and power over steering, drifitng, and working on corrective inputs. Must have gotten at least 30 laps in
__________________
F82 - Current
Appreciate 2
FormulaMMM3054.00
SYT_Shadow8308.00
      06-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #1392
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
3054
Rep
3,209
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Auto-X’d yesterday - was an absolute blast and an awesome way to feel out the limit and intentionally send the car over the limit. Spent the first half of the day working on lines and speed and riding the limit, second half going over the limit and power over steering, drifitng, and working on corrective inputs. Must have gotten at least 30 laps in
That's awesome. Last time I did one think it was only a dozen laps or so.

Agreed, great way to safely develop car control and limit expense as well. In my experience, the dedicated autocross guys who cross over to track days are usually quick, find time in technical track areas.

Perfect way to get started in the hobby. it's how I'll start my son in a couple of years for sure.
__________________
M4 GTS, Z/28, GT3, C63 S | E90 M3s, E39 M5

Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow8308.00
RugbyBro2864.50
      06-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #1393
RugbyBro
Major
RugbyBro's Avatar
2865
Rep
1,424
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
That's awesome. Last time I did one think it was only a dozen laps or so.

Agreed, great way to safely develop car control and limit expense as well. In my experience, the dedicated autocross guys who cross over to track days are usually quick, find time in technical track areas.

Perfect way to get started in the hobby. it's how I'll start my son in a couple of years for sure.
Yeah it was a great time - went with my buddy and his track prepped E90 M3 that he tracks often. He had a blast as well and we cat/moused all day to get lots of runs in. It was 2 alternating groups from 9-12 then fully open from 12-5. Did a ton of runs in his E90 (and him in my F82) which was the first time I’ve driven E9X in a performance setting - wow I love that car, I get why people love that engine (very easy to control). I was actually very surprised how similar both generations feel, you can very easily tell they are from the same family (aside from power delivery and iterative changes of course). Course was also a great setup (pic attached) in a dedicated drift pit so literally 0 chance of hitting anything unless you purposefully wanted to full send into a wall.
Attached Images
 
__________________
F82 - Current
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3054.00
      06-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #1394
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
3054
Rep
3,209
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yeah it was a great time - went with my buddy and his track prepped E90 M3 that he tracks often. He had a blast as well and we cat/moused all day to get lots of runs in. It was 2 alternating groups from 9-12 then fully open from 12-5. Did a ton of runs in his E90 (and him in my F82) which was the first time I’ve driven E9X in a performance setting - wow I love that car, I get why people love that engine (very easy to control). I was actually very surprised how similar both generations feel, you can very easily tell they are from the same family (aside from power delivery and iterative changes of course). Course was also a great setup (pic attached) in a dedicated drift pit so literally 0 chance of hitting anything unless you purposefully wanted to full send into a wall.
Nice. Yes, E90 is a fricking gem. Such beautiful balance on power and always predictable. Miss both my 6MT and DCT versions.

Any DE where you get to drive both gens is one to remember for sure.
__________________
M4 GTS, Z/28, GT3, C63 S | E90 M3s, E39 M5

Appreciate 1
RugbyBro2864.50
      06-14-2021, 05:52 PM   #1395
RugbyBro
Major
RugbyBro's Avatar
2865
Rep
1,424
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Nice. Yes, E90 is a fricking gem. Such beautiful balance on power and always predictable. Miss both my 6MT and DCT versions.

Any DE where you get to drive both gens is one to remember for sure.
I can't stop thinking about that E90 now... after driving it the way I did over the weekend the experience is seared into my brain. It was just so damn enjoyable and such a perfect compliment to F8X after doing the back to back thing. My eyes are definitely now peeled for a cheaper/trackable E92 in the next few years when, hopefully, prices come down from crazy-town
__________________
F82 - Current
Appreciate 1
FormulaMMM3054.00
      06-14-2021, 08:58 PM   #1396
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
3054
Rep
3,209
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I can't stop thinking about that E90 now... after driving it the way I did over the weekend the experience is seared into my brain. It was just so damn enjoyable and such a perfect compliment to F8X after doing the back to back thing. My eyes are definitely now peeled for a cheaper/trackable E92 in the next few years when, hopefully, prices come down from crazy-town
My man, you're preaching to the choir. Plenty have happily moved on from the E9X, but I'm not one of them. In my view it is a. irreplaceable, especially as an all-rounder (I used mine through four seasons and for everything), b. a perfect compliment to an F8X. Problematic combination.

As for various M performance driving experiences sticking with you, E9X isn't the only problem. Don't make the mistake of driving a track-prepped, lightened E36 (or E46). You'll end up needing one of those as well.

Gratuitous E90 power oversteer shot. That car coming out of a 2nd gear hairpin and sliding onto an exit curbing... That's a wrap, doesn't get any better imo.

__________________
M4 GTS, Z/28, GT3, C63 S | E90 M3s, E39 M5

Appreciate 3
      06-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #1397
dth656
First Lieutenant
33
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yeah it was a great time - went with my buddy and his track prepped E90 M3 that he tracks often. He had a blast as well and we cat/moused all day to get lots of runs in. It was 2 alternating groups from 9-12 then fully open from 12-5. Did a ton of runs in his E90 (and him in my F82) which was the first time I’ve driven E9X in a performance setting - wow I love that car, I get why people love that engine (very easy to control). I was actually very surprised how similar both generations feel, you can very easily tell they are from the same family (aside from power delivery and iterative changes of course). Course was also a great setup (pic attached) in a dedicated drift pit so literally 0 chance of hitting anything unless you purposefully wanted to full send into a wall.
i believe that was the sunday configuration correct? what car were you in? i was in a black F80, and had a lot of fun getting the car sideways. the course and structure definitely felt a bit sketchy at first (compared to the BMW CCA autocrosses at Marina), but I got used to it by lunch time.
__________________
go bears

Last edited by dth656; 06-15-2021 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro2864.50
      06-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #1398
RugbyBro
Major
RugbyBro's Avatar
2865
Rep
1,424
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Yeah it was a great time - went with my buddy and his track prepped E90 M3 that he tracks often. He had a blast as well and we cat/moused all day to get lots of runs in. It was 2 alternating groups from 9-12 then fully open from 12-5. Did a ton of runs in his E90 (and him in my F82) which was the first time I’ve driven E9X in a performance setting - wow I love that car, I get why people love that engine (very easy to control). I was actually very surprised how similar both generations feel, you can very easily tell they are from the same family (aside from power delivery and iterative changes of course). Course was also a great setup (pic attached) in a dedicated drift pit so literally 0 chance of hitting anything unless you purposefully wanted to full send into a wall.
i believe that was the sunday configuration correct? what car were you in? i was in a black F80, and had a lot of fun getting the car sideways. the course and structure definitely felt a bit sketchy at first (compared to the BMW CCA autocrosses at Marina), but I got used to it my lunch time.
I was there Saturday! Sunday had a longer straight but still similar configuration. The moving cones could feel a little sketchy but it didn't get too bad except for the slalom at the end which was all over the place so my buddy and I just took that as a straight away lol. Honestly I had so much fun - awesome way to do it. No timing, just go out and do as many runs as you want and make an awesome day out of it!
__________________
F82 - Current
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:19 PM   #1399
dth656
First Lieutenant
33
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: e90 330i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I was there Saturday! Sunday had a longer straight but still similar configuration. The moving cones could feel a little sketchy but it didn't get too bad except for the slalom at the end which was all over the place so my buddy and I just took that as a straight away lol. Honestly I had so much fun - awesome way to do it. No timing, just go out and do as many runs as you want and make an awesome day out of it!
got it, i was there only on sunday. i think being able to do as many runs as you wanted was a huge plus. i felt that i learned a lot about recovering from slides and tank slappers (albeit at slow speeds)
__________________
go bears
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #1400
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Private First Class
United_States
79
Rep
116
Posts

Drives: F80 comp (6 speed)
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Track forum general chit chat

sorry, but what's a "tank slapper"? it sound like a fun phrase but I should probably know what it means before calling one it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #1401
Suds
/M Enthusiast
Suds's Avatar
United_States
657
Rep
1,167
Posts

Drives: Responsiblish
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lone Star State

iTrader: (1)

A tank slapper is when the car over steers one direction and then over rotates to the other side in a slide, sometimes from lifting off throttle. Not a good thing.

A car chassis with good stiffness will allow a car to oversteer and then slide back into track with the correct amount of power.
__________________
2019 M4 ZCP, Alpine White/Sakhir, DCT, MPE
2019 M2 Comp, Alpine White, DCT, track car build, 1/2 cage, AP Racing & Nitron
2004 Audi A4 Avant USP 6mt, RS4 clutch, built motor, Garrett GT3071r "Big Ass Turbo" Motoza Tune
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 12:39 AM   #1402
fanatic1
Captain
fanatic1's Avatar
United_States
832
Rep
755
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4 CS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Encinitas/San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
sorry, but what's a "tank slapper"? it sound like a fun phrase but I should probably know what it means before calling one it.
Good compilation of “Tank slappers”

__________________
19 M4 CS LRG MPE
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #1403
CanAutM3
General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
17541
Rep
19,542
Posts

Drives: 2021 911 turbo
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
That's awesome. Last time I did one think it was only a dozen laps or so.

Agreed, great way to safely develop car control and limit expense as well. In my experience, the dedicated autocross guys who cross over to track days are usually quick, find time in technical track areas.

Perfect way to get started in the hobby. it's how I'll start my son in a couple of years for sure.
That's how I started too. Joining the Formula-SAE in college is what introduced me to autocrossing. However, I got tired of it very quickly, spending all day in a parking lot and doing cone duty, all for barely 10 minutes of track time in the whole day .
__________________
911 turbo 2021 992 GT Silver
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:11 AM   #1404
melanthius
Private First Class
melanthius's Avatar
72
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
That's awesome. Last time I did one think it was only a dozen laps or so.

Agreed, great way to safely develop car control and limit expense as well. In my experience, the dedicated autocross guys who cross over to track days are usually quick, find time in technical track areas.

Perfect way to get started in the hobby. it's how I'll start my son in a couple of years for sure.
That's how I started too. Joining the Formula-SAE in college is what introduced me to autocrossing. However, I got tired of it very quickly, spending all day in a parking lot and doing cone duty, all for barely 10 minutes of track time in the whole day .
Yeah general poor availability of autoX in SF Bay Area (not much space and a large population generally intolerant of cool cars) combined with good road course availability relatively close by means I'm pretty much going to the track guaranteed.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #1405
kpaso
First Lieutenant
173
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i believe that was the sunday configuration correct? what car were you in? i was in a black F80, and had a lot of fun getting the car sideways. the course and structure definitely felt a bit sketchy at first (compared to the BMW CCA autocrosses at Marina), but I got used to it by lunch time.
I was there too! In the bone stock 20 year old Miata.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #1406
shaddy
Private
shaddy's Avatar
50
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: DFW, TX

iTrader: (0)

Had my first hot track day at ECR yesterday, was about 95 degrees. Car felt great other than boiling my brake fluid earlier in the day running GTS MDM. Turned off traction control and was able to keep my brakes cool the rest of the sessions until pitting. But the car also felt more natural! I didn't have any unwanted braking/cut in power I was sometimes getting with MDM. Started tracking the car last year and am feeling more comfortable so will probably run with traction off unless it's a wet day.

Going to flush my fluid before the next event since it's still going to be hot, am using RBF 600 now will probably go with the same with the expectation to flush mid-year.

Some cool pics I took
Attached Images
  
__________________
IG - shaddyy
Appreciate 3
jmg10823.50
SYT_Shadow8308.00
      06-16-2021, 03:05 PM   #1407
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
8308
Rep
8,207
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92M/F80CS/X5 35/MiniCS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddy View Post
Had my first hot track day at ECR yesterday, was about 95 degrees. Car felt great other than boiling my brake fluid earlier in the day running GTS MDM. Turned off traction control and was able to keep my brakes cool the rest of the sessions until pitting. But the car also felt more natural! I didn't have any unwanted braking/cut in power I was sometimes getting with MDM. Started tracking the car last year and am feeling more comfortable so will probably run with traction off unless it's a wet day.

Going to flush my fluid before the next event since it's still going to be hot, am using RBF 600 now will probably go with the same with the expectation to flush mid-year.

Some cool pics I took
Very nice! Maybe you want to try SRF next time, it is one bleed per year and you're good to go!

MDM/etc will overheat brakes and generally create a false sense of security. As an instructor, I encourage my students to disable it early on in their learning process. It is a lot easier to catch mistakes early on than have to correct it once the student is faster.

Basic good habits like unwinding the steering wheel as you go WOT are really important, but running with DSC on can completely mask mistakes and make you feel like going WOT while pinching the wheel is a valid technique.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 06-16-2021 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 3
      06-17-2021, 10:37 PM   #1408
shaddy
Private
shaddy's Avatar
50
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: DFW, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Very nice! Maybe you want to try SRF next time, it is one bleed per year and you're good to go!

MDM/etc will overheat brakes and generally create a false sense of security. As an instructor, I encourage my students to disable it early on in their learning process. It is a lot easier to catch mistakes early on than have to correct it once the student is faster.

Basic good habits like unwinding the steering wheel as you go WOT are really important, but running with DSC on can completely mask mistakes and make you feel like going WOT while pinching the wheel is a valid technique.
Thank you for the suggestion! I have some left over RBF, and will consider the switch to SRF in the winter. I initially thought there might be some cost savings but it's probably about the same due to having to flush more. I'm running DS1.11 currently on track.

And great point.. When I first started I felt like I was kind of throwing the car like a brute and letting MDM catch me. I have about 6 track days since starting in October and my focus has been primarily around finesse and good lines. With everything off the car communicates well and the feeling when you just get it right through a turn is addicting!
__________________
IG - shaddyy
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow8308.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST