EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-28-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
unrealeck
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Misadvertised mileage on M4 (should I be concerned?)

Hi everyone.

So I just agreed a deal with a reputable seeming, well-established independent trader/dealer on a 2015 M4.
It was advertised on Autotrader at 29,000 miles. But when he emailed me, the mileage states it's 30,341.

I did go to see the car, but didn't think to check the odometer at the time. The window card did also say 29,000 miles if I remember correctly.
The car seems to have a full service history with BMW too and is generally in great condition. Though I didn't drive it.

I haven't signed the paperwork yet but we did agree on finance and trade of my current M235i. I paid 6 months road tax on the M4 just as a deposit.

How should I approach this? I love the car and want to buy it, but do you think 1300+ miles over advertisement should be a concern? What could be the reason for this? The thing running through my head is what's the car been used for?
I also bought an Experian report and it shows the MOT was done in December last year at 30,000 miles. So it looks like it's done about 340 miles since then.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned? Would it raise red flags with you?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:36 AM   #2
dunny247
dunny
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 frozen black

Easy way to find out true mileage is phone a BMW service department and ask when and what mileage the car was last serviced. Just say you wanna know if it needs a service. Act like you own the car .
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:40 AM   #3
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Ask for a discount - not enough to affect maintenance, reliability etc
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #4
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

this the yellow one on mantis cars?

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
unrealeck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
this the yellow one on mantis cars?
No mate, it's Sakhir Orange.
Removed from Autotrader shortly after I agreed to buy. I've done all the finance stuff, just need to sign on the dotted.

The place selling it has a large inventory of nice cars and have great reviews. It might just be me being paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
unrealeck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Do you think 30k miles is a lot? I'm planning on keeping the car at least 5 years.
My other option was 15k miles but it didn't have any extra options other than full leather (which was NICE though).

I've had no problems whatsoever with my 2 series so I'm just dreading the M4 will have issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:36 PM   #7
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealeck View Post
Quote:
Do you think 30k miles is a lot? I'm planning on keeping the car at least 5 years.
My other option was 15k miles but it didn't have any extra options other than full leather (which was NICE though).

I've had no problems whatsoever with my 2 series so I'm just dreading the M4 will have issues.
Depends on what your annual mileage is ? 30k is still quite low to start with but if you do 20k a year then you'll end up on 130k at the end of 5 years (and probably have spent money on bits).

On the other side fuck it - when you have bought it you'll be selling body parts for upgrades and repairs - it's a fricking awesome machine!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
unrealeck
Rep

Quote:
Depends on what your annual mileage is ? 30k is still quite low to start with but if you do 20k a year then you'll end up on 130k at the end of 5 years (and probably have spent money on bits).

On the other side fuck it - when you have bought it you'll be selling body parts for upgrades and repairs - it's a fricking awesome machine!!!
I only do about 7 or 8k per year I think.

I just looked up the MOT history as they just had it MOT'd for me picking it up and found it failed and has strange mileage discrepancies.

See below:

However, I do remember checking the services in the iDrive when viewing the car and saw rear brakes had a lot of miles left before service (like 130k or something) and the front ones didn't need done but forgot the miles left. But that's just pads, right?
I assume if it's such a serious defect that it failed the MOT back in March, it would be a visible defect.
What concerns me though is how the car has been driven if it's needed new brake disks. Shouldn't I be concerned?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Hmm that's tricky... brake discs not an issue but what I dont get/comprehend is

1. I would put the failed test as a typo initially

2. But why take 4 months to do the work?

It that just makes no business sense to park it up for a few months doing nothing with it.

Name the company and maybe others on here will have previous dealings with them and can comment.

Also I'd ask the question to them and also ask for previous owners name (they wont give you to much details due to privacy crap) but you can then try to hunt them down for a chat

What warranty are they offering?

Re mileage. I bought a 64 plate with 47k 6 months ago. Mileage doesn't bother me and like you I do low mileage a year. Re sale come 4 years an 8 year old m4 with 40k or 65k is still gone be about the same value.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 01:55 AM   #10
unrealeck
Rep

Quote:

It that just makes no business sense to park it up for a few months doing nothing with it.

Name the company and maybe others on here will have previous dealings with them and can comment.

Also I'd ask the question to them and also ask for previous owners name (they wont give you to much details due to privacy crap) but you can then try to hunt them down for a chat

Re mileage. I bought a 64 plate with 47k 6 months ago. Mileage doesn't bother me and like you I do low mileage a year. Re sale come 4 years an 8 year old m4 with 40k or 65k is still gone be about the same value.
I'd rather not say the name of the company just because I don't want to give the impression I'm bad-mouthing them. But I have looked around at reviews on various sites including FB, Google, Autotrader and Cargurus. They've got VERY good feedback. Pretty much no problems at all with anyone.

I suppose I'll just need to ask questions and see if it all adds up.
I'm definitely going to drive it before I sign though.

When I looked at the car, it looked spotless. Paint, wheels, tyres, interior were all good condition. The seat bolsters are always a giveaway on these cars as they tend to have worn away leather when not looked after as much. This one had a tiny tiny bit of roughness to the driver's seat bolster. But only a very small amount. Less than I saw on a convertable with less miles.

Here's a picture of one of the front discs. Does this look okay?

Last edited by unrealeck; 07-30-2019 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #11
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Why is the calliper grey also? Should be blue. Obviously it could have been painted grey but why would you?

That’s also a rear calliper isn’t it?

Last edited by chedixon; 08-01-2019 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

What happened to that rotor? :O
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #13
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Walk away so many on offer no need to buy one with a dodgy MOT history funny mileage profile and discs that are FUBAR after 30k with repainted calipers. I guess it's at a trader as well as they have painted the hubs silver a typical trader thing to do. Go to a BMW dealer and get one with a warranty.

For comparison these were my discs after 80,000 miles:
Attached Images

08-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #14
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Walk away so many on offer no need to buy one with a dodgy MOT history funny mileage profile and discs that are FUBAR after 30k with repainted calipers. I guess it's at a trader as well as they have painted the hubs silver a typical trader thing to do. Go to a BMW dealer and get one with a warranty.

For comparison these were my discs after 80,000 miles:
Fully agree with this.
The outer edge of that rotor you've posted, like the rest of it tbh looks very poor.
And the calipers, as mentioned, should be blue.
If you're set on the car, insist on replacements, or negotiate a suitable discount for you to do them after purchase.
      08-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
bags1982
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Comp Pack

Quote:
Quote:

I'd rather not say the name of the company just because I don't want to give the impression I'm bad-mouthing them. But I have looked around at reviews on various sites including FB, Google, Autotrader and Cargurus. They've got VERY good feedback. Pretty much no problems at all with anyone.

When I looked at the car, it looked spotless. Paint, wheels, tyres, interior were all good condition. The seat bolsters are always a giveaway on these cars as they tend to have worn away leather when not looked after as much. This one had a tiny tiny bit of roughness to the driver's seat bolster. But only a very small amount. Less than I saw on a convertable with less miles.

Quote:
Quote:

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/wQM2xJX/FB-IMG-1564479600568.jpg[/IMG]
Mate, this definitely is not right. For 30k miles that's disk should not look like that and why the hells the calliper grey??? I would ask for your deposit back and wait until a mint one arrives preferably from a Bmw dealer.

Your gut instinct is telling you something is not right otherwise you wouldn't have posted this, so my advice would be to walk away while you can.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 11:07 PM   #16
330cibimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 ZCP

Failed test of the front brakes probably suggests that the car was tracked heavily. They have most likely replaced it and that's why it has passed the following test.
Painted calipers isn't an issue unless the blue rotors somehow faded into that color from overheating.
I had a SO comp pack M4 and had the calipers painted yellow because I didn't think the blue calipers matched the color scheme of the car.
Rotors appear that way because the car hasn't been driven for a while. It's sort of like rust but mostly water residue. It will go away once you drive it around and the brakes will essentially rub it off.
You can probably just ask for more details as to what happened to the original front brakes. I'm guessing the car was probably auctioned at the end of the original lease as the dealership which the car was returned to didn't want to certify the car.
If anything, you can probably ask for even more of a discount for the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #17
ravibasuta
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If it smells fishy it's probably fishy

NOT worth the hassle. I have a mate going through that, was too balls deep and didnt take time to look for tell tale signs of miscare or wear.

And i fell foul of a mileage blocker'd M5 a couple years ago. All these things would make me walk pal. So many nice examples out or worth waiting for.

Good luck matey
      08-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #18
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I checked this car out when I was looking in the last couple of weeks. This dealer had sat with the car for a good few months! I decided to walk from it, despite it being a mile from my house and purchased a main dealer car in Bedford.

The rear calliper colour was blue though so I suppose that’s just the lighting in the OPs post.
Appreciate 0