Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
///M Oil Filter?? And Something Else Interesting....

So I just completed my 25k interim oil change on my F80 and I noticed a few things that were interesting....

1. Prior to the oil change, I neglected to check my parts status before doing it and realized I did not have an oil filter handy. I typically order Mann filters ahead of time as they are an OEM for BMW oil filters and the quality is more than acceptable IMHO. I thought a trip to the dealer was going to be necessary, but low and behold, a local auto parts store (Pep Boys) actually had a filter in stock - saving me 30 min of extra travel time. However, when I got the filter home I noticed something interesting - the oil filter was the exact same (part number, size, etc), as the oil filter I had on the shelf for my wife's 2013 F25 X3 xDrive28i (w/N20 engine). Well this is interesting....

2. Moving on to my F80 oil change, when I removed the old oil filter (the last oil change was done at the dealer) I noticed a "BMW ///M" on it, which I had never noticed before. When I compared it to the replacement filter I was about to use (the Mann oil filter I purchased above), it was visually identical in every way as far as size and construction - which was not unexpected of course. The new filter popped right in and I completed my oil change without any issue or concerns - and the car ran as expected.

So I was curious about all of this and went to the Mann website to look up the oil filters for both the X3 and the M3. While they both had different part numbers, they both had identical dimensions. I also went back to the Pep Boys website, their parts finder system called out the same Mann filter for both the X3 and the M3.

I am not trying to re-start a debate about which brand oil filters are better - that horse seems to be beaten in every forum of every make/model of any car - including BMW. I have been using Mann filters on all of my BMWs for a long time and don't have any issues with the brand. However, I am curious...

1. Is there really a difference between an "///M" oil filter vs a non-M oil filter from either BMW or an OEM like Mann as far as oil filter construction and performance is concerned?

2. If there is a difference, what is it and why should anyone choose an "///M" oil filter over a non-M one (from BMW or OEM like Mann)?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

If there's any difference it likely has to do with something internally like the anti-drain valve or bypass valve. I'm guessing it's a different bypass valve as we probably run higher oil pressures than the X3.

Probably to ensure we don't bypass as much oil and more goes through the filter - but I could be completely wrong. Pleat style/etc could also be different - even if it's the same dimensions it can actually have more surface area if it has more pleats etc. but I doubt that's the case. Most oil filters are sufficient for most cars at a very modest size, making it a performance motor doesn't make more filtering necessary. It does require more TBN's in the oil to trap more garbage though - which is why you see higher quality oils in use to deal better with contamination.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

there is no drain back valve/bypass on these filters because it's not a canister. it's just a plain filter element.

I do ALL the maintenance on my car (since 1200 mile service).

I've used both the BMW and Mann filter.

the BMW filter even has the mann part number printer on it. HU8011. they appear EXACTLY alike. color, pleats, everything.
      12-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

I've bought Mann / BMW M Specific before. The M specific has an ///M badge. That's about the only difference I could tell. I've also tried both BMW S55 / N55 OEM filters and they also look exactly the same minus the badge.

I've bought the HU8011 Mann filters on amazon for roughly 10 a piece and the OEM bmw M filters on ecs tuning for roughly 14-15 shipped.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #5
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Often the Mann filter sold in retail stores is made in Mexico whereas the dealer stock is Germany.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So I just completed my 25k interim oil change on my F80 and I noticed a few things that were interesting....

1. Prior to the oil change, I neglected to check my parts status before doing it and realized I did not have an oil filter handy. I typically order Mann filters ahead of time as they are an OEM for BMW oil filters and the quality is more than acceptable IMHO. I thought a trip to the dealer was going to be necessary, but low and behold, a local auto parts store (Pep Boys) actually had a filter in stock - saving me 30 min of extra travel time. However, when I got the filter home I noticed something interesting - the oil filter was the exact same (part number, size, etc), as the oil filter I had on the shelf for my wife's 2013 F25 X3 xDrive28i (w/N20 engine). Well this is interesting....

2. Moving on to my F80 oil change, when I removed the old oil filter (the last oil change was done at the dealer) I noticed a "BMW ///M" on it, which I had never noticed before. When I compared it to the replacement filter I was about to use (the Mann oil filter I purchased above), it was visually identical in every way as far as size and construction - which was not unexpected of course. The new filter popped right in and I completed my oil change without any issue or concerns - and the car ran as expected.

So I was curious about all of this and went to the Mann website to look up the oil filters for both the X3 and the M3. While they both had different part numbers, they both had identical dimensions. I also went back to the Pep Boys website, their parts finder system called out the same Mann filter for both the X3 and the M3.

I am not trying to re-start a debate about which brand oil filters are better - that horse seems to be beaten in every forum of every make/model of any car - including BMW. I have been using Mann filters on all of my BMWs for a long time and don't have any issues with the brand. However, I am curious...

1. Is there really a difference between an "///M" oil filter vs a non-M oil filter from either BMW or an OEM like Mann as far as oil filter construction and performance is concerned?

2. If there is a difference, what is it and why should anyone choose an "///M" oil filter over a non-M one (from BMW or OEM like Mann)?
Filters are the same I used my f82 filter on my e90 335 your just paying m tax.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
When you say the "same" are you talking about the BMW M filter and the Mann filter called out for the S55 or all of the Mann filters that have the same dimensions and physically look like the same filter element?

According to Mann's site here is the filter called out for the S55. It is the HU8011Z: HU8011Z

Here is the filter called out for the N20 (the engine in the X3), HU816X. This filter was called out for both the S55 and the N20 at the local auto parts store (and what I just put in my F80): HU816X

The pictures on the Mann site for each filter are different (but I know you can't always rely on the pictures on manufacture sites for some things - this is just an oil filter after all). And of course the dimensions are the same as I mentioned above. I would suspect that the 816X filter is equivalent to the BMW filters called out for the non-M engines like the N20 (to include the Mann part number being stamped on the BMW branded filter just like on the BMW M filter). Looking at the pictures, assuming they are accurate, the only difference I can see between the two of them is that that 8011Z has thicker "glue" to hold the top and bottom of the pleats together when compared to the 816X.

I am not losing any sleep over this as I change the oil (and filter) in my F80 every 5k miles using BMW spec oil (the ///M 0W-40 for now, including my dealer oil changes). My car is a daily driver for now with only some "spirited" driving as opposed to multiple HPDEs during the year. I would be curious to know what the real difference is between the HU 8011Z and the HU816x - if there really is one. Something like the difference between the "Star Spec" tires for the F80 versus the non-Star spec tires of the same brand and size possibly?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

my HU8011Z says 8011, made in germy on the element.

the 5 digit number is different between the HU8011z and BMW filters.

I will use either one.

816 says made in mexico. I use those for my wife's N20.;-)
      12-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
When you say the "same" are you talking about the BMW M filter and the Mann filter called out for the S55 or all of the Mann filters that have the same dimensions and physically look like the same filter element?

According to Mann's site here is the filter called out for the S55. It is the HU8011Z: HU8011Z

Here is the filter called out for the N20 (the engine in the X3), HU816X. This filter was called out for both the S55 and the N20 at the local auto parts store (and what I just put in my F80): HU816X

The pictures on the Mann site for each filter are different (but I know you can't always rely on the pictures on manufacture sites for some things - this is just an oil filter after all). And of course the dimensions are the same as I mentioned above. I would suspect that the 816X filter is equivalent to the BMW filters called out for the non-M engines like the N20 (to include the Mann part number being stamped on the BMW branded filter just like on the BMW M filter). Looking at the pictures, assuming they are accurate, the only difference I can see between the two of them is that that 8011Z has thicker "glue" to hold the top and bottom of the pleats together when compared to the 816X.

I am not losing any sleep over this as I change the oil (and filter) in my F80 every 5k miles using BMW spec oil (the ///M 0W-40 for now, including my dealer oil changes). My car is a daily driver for now with only some "spirited" driving as opposed to multiple HPDEs during the year. I would be curious to know what the real difference is between the HU 8011Z and the HU816x - if there really is one. Something like the difference between the "Star Spec" tires for the F80 versus the non-Star spec tires of the same brand and size possibly?
The e90 335 filter works for My M4 the filters are the same minus one says m and the other doesn’t.
Appreciate 0