Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #67
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Looks like it's trying too hard and no one likes a try hard.
That's actually the best photo I found of it too.

People are willing to pay dumb prices for cars that they have some emotional attachment to.

For example, people were paying $40-50k for a civic type r when they came out. Why? Because many probably grew up in the era where it was cool to own a Honda. They respect Honda and now that they have a decent job in their mid 30s to early 40s, they want to feel some nostalgia. However, last I checked, Kia is in a different boat.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #68
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
People are willing to pay dumb prices for cars that they have some emotional attachment to.
Do you mean people paying $90k+ for m3/m4

J/K

Emotional reasons are why we aren't all driving a $10-$20k basic car
Appreciate 3
PoorLurker1136.50
minn1914021.00
swanson733.00
      02-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #69
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Do you mean people paying $90k+ for m3/m4

J/K

Emotional reasons are why we aren't all driving a $10-$20k basic car
Haha - M3 is a bit more justified (see below). $90k seems like someone got a bit too click happy with options though.

People will pay a convenience tax or a prestige tax. I have no issues with that. I just don't see people paying much for a kia. The exterior will appeal to some people and it will be purchased just as the HHR and other domestic oddities have sold.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #70
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
. I just don't see people paying much for a kia. .
It's going to take time.

Check out this old data from aug 2017

https://mediaroom.kbb.com/2017-09-01-Average-New-Car-Prices-Up-Nearly-1-Percent-Year-Over-Year-Despite-Mixed-Results-For-Major-Automakers-According-To-Kelley-Blue-Book

Hyundai/Kia average tranasaction prices are 25% less than the average but the growth of transaction prices from the prior year are over 2x the average.

They have been doing a nice job and are slowly getting recognized for it by the market

I'm likely in the minority but I lump Kia/Hyundai/Genesis into the same "discount semi luxury brands I don't care about" category like Buick, Infiniti, Acura and to some extent Lexus
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1136.50
      02-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #71
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I'm likely in the minority but I lump Kia/Hyundai/Genesis into the same "discount semi luxury brands I don't care about" category like Buick, Infiniti, Acura and to some extent Lexus
I can see where you are coming from with Genesis, but to me Kia and Hyundai are not even semi-luxury; they are essentially the Korean Ford and Chevy. To be clear I am not taking shots at any of those brands. There is Nothing wrong with them as far as vehicles that deliver reasonable value for the money. So the Stinger GT is basically a four (five, actually) door Camaro or Mustang to me, and I think it will do well in that role. The one big thing it is missing, as I’ve said earlier, is the V8 engine that gives those cars their reputation for cheap performance. That might also get them to a point where it starts to make sense to mention the car in the same sentence as an M.

Going back to Genesis, I put them ahead of Acura and Buick because the RWD platform means they have at least a chance of delivering some sportiness. Not that I don’t think Buick and Acura could make a fun car, but they aren’t going anywhere near 400hp in the FWD chassis, let alone 500hp, which is quickly approaching as the target for midsize and up peformance luxury. Infiniti and Lexus to me are the Japanese BMWs. They don’t save you much dough vs. rather German equivalent, really. Also, like Genesis, they don’t have any sort of high performance V6 or V8 which means they are leaving a lot on the table as far as making good use of those expensive RWD platforms they spend so much cash developing. All these guys need to get with the program and deliver turbo V8s. In fact, Toyota has one in development for the LS and LC. Can’t come soon enough, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 03:45 AM   #72
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

I went to the Stinger showroom at the Irvine Spectrum. They had a GT2 model there. While I couldn’t drive the car, I had a chance to sit in it and play w/ the stereo, check out the fit and finish, seating position, ergonomics, etc.

Overall, the car made a very nice impression. It felt much more upscale than I was expecting looking at pictures. The leather felt great - seemed a cut above Infiniti and much better than Acura IMO. The paddle shifters and other metal trim items in the car were real aluminum and felt great. Steering wheel was beefy and had a good overall feel. Instruments looked great and felt driver centric. Seats were supportive and comfortable and the car was quite spacious front and rear. Rear headroom was quite good considering the 4 door coupe sloping roof design. I test drove a 435i GC and I would probably take this Stinger over the 435 which felt like a girls car.

The HK stereo sounded great. Bass was quite strong and blows away any stereo offered in any 3 or 4 series and Ms I’ve driven.

The one thing that was annoying was the infotainment system. It was not intuitive at all. Music bass and treble controls were buried in the settings menu and hard to access. It was very easy to get lost in the menus and I cannot imagine having to drive while trying to figure out how to play music etc. BMW’s iDrive has been refined for a decade now and it’s ease of use and intuitiveness blows away most mfgs systems. Kia has much to learn in this regard.

Still, overall, I came away impressed by the car. The interior didn’t feel as nice as in my F80 M3, but neither was it off by much. Did it feel like a $50k car (price for the GT2 trim)? No. But for a $40k car, which is the price for the standard GT which has virtually the same interior, it felt quite good. This is from a first impression standpoint as I would obviously need to drive it to get a better overall gauge.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #73
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I can see where you are coming from with Genesis, but to me Kia and Hyundai are not even semi-luxury; they are essentially the Korean Ford and Chevy. To be clear I am not taking shots at any of those brands. There is Nothing wrong with them as far as vehicles that deliver reasonable value for the money. So the Stinger GT is basically a four (five, actually) door Camaro or Mustang to me, and I think it will do well in that role. The one big thing it is missing, as I’ve said earlier, is the V8 engine that gives those cars their reputation for cheap performance. That might also get them to a point where it starts to make sense to mention the car in the same sentence as an M.

Going back to Genesis, I put them ahead of Acura and Buick because the RWD platform means they have at least a chance of delivering some sportiness. Not that I don’t think Buick and Acura could make a fun car, but they aren’t going anywhere near 400hp in the FWD chassis, let alone 500hp, which is quickly approaching as the target for midsize and up peformance luxury. Infiniti and Lexus to me are the Japanese BMWs. They don’t save you much dough vs. rather German equivalent, really. Also, like Genesis, they don’t have any sort of high performance V6 or V8 which means they are leaving a lot on the table as far as making good use of those expensive RWD platforms they spend so much cash developing. All these guys need to get with the program and deliver turbo V8s. In fact, Toyota has one in development for the LS and LC. Can’t come soon enough, IMHO.
Isn't the regal GS similar performance wise to the 5.0 genesis? Maybe I'm getting my generations mixed up.

I've been in top trim Sonata, Malibu, Fusion and they are pretty close to some q50 and Acura models.

And honestly all those were more lux than my cloth seats and non moonroof f80. Maybe that's why it was so hard for shift.com to sell my car. Too many Bmw m owners wanted leather and backup cameras. Lol.

If you switched badges and told me a Sonata Limited 2.0T was Acura or Infiniti I would probably believe you.

My personally vote for Hyundai would be to hold power and cut weight (and make room in the fenders for 305 wide tires all around)

365hp in a 2900lb car is better in my opinion than 467hp 4000lb car (cough rc f)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #74
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep

Actually saw a Kia Stinger on the road today in silver. Was pleasantly surprised with how it looked in person. The back didn't look bad in person. From a little behind and one lane over, the front reminded me of a Panamera.

Not too shabby... Not too shabby...

Would never buy one though. This type of car sits in the middle range. I'd rather drive a crappy car for years and then splurge on a nice car than to "waste" money on these mid level cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 01:46 AM   #75
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Check out this ad for a brand new one that looks to be fully loaded up

$52k sticker... offered at $44k

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=197682397

which means you can probably get it for even cheaper if you actually showed up to the dealership with cash in hand

EDIT: maybe next year when my wife's X135 lease is due up, I should look at one of these given how cheap it is likely going to be as a "leftover" or very light used car with 1-2k miles. It's a AWD liftback that traps ~110mph... good enough for hauling the dog around, and it's faster than the X1...

Last edited by nicknaz; 02-06-2018 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #76
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Isn't the regal GS similar performance wise to the 5.0 genesis? Maybe I'm getting my generations mixed up.
Possibly - I honestly don't know. But we could compare to a Mercedes or BMW in this class at the V8 G80 or G90 price-point and come to a similar conclusion. So sheer performance isn't necessarily the best indicator to draw from.

Quote:
I've been in top trim Sonata, Malibu, Fusion and they are pretty close to some q50 and Acura models.
Or a BMW 320i too, right?

Sure, they've all got their entry level products - that's how you get people into the brand. If we move up the ladder, a Q50 RS400 should cost similar to a C43, S4, or 340i, and perform roughly like they do too. Acura has nothing even close in the luxury sport sedan department.

Quote:
And honestly all those were more lux than my cloth seats and non moonroof f80. Maybe that's why it was so hard for shift.com to sell my car. Too many Bmw m owners wanted leather and backup cameras. Lol.
Exactly. Plenty of high performing luxury cars that, in certain specification, offer in terms of luxury than even a tarted up, higher end Ford - never mind an Acura or Buick.

Quote:
If you switched badges and told me a Sonata Limited 2.0T was Acura or Infiniti I would probably believe you.
Acura, sure. Infiniti, though? They haven't had a FWD sedan in the lineup for years. I'd much more easily be convinced it were a Lexus ES350 than any Infiniti.

I suppose I just think it's important to look at the underlying vehicle platform in addition to the other factors such as performance and specific model content, which as you point out can be used to draw comparisons to vehicles form all over the map.

With the RWD IS, GS, RC, LC, LS Lexus has at least some hope of making their "F" brand a contender. Infiniti has the newly minted RS lineup with a true M3 a real possibility if "Project Black S" bears fruit, and Genesis at least has a V8 and has hinted more sporting intentions yet to come for the Genesis brand. Acura, has no apparent intention to build sport sedans and, while Buick could actually get somewhere if they were to borrow the running gear from the XTS V-Sport, GM appears too fearful of cannibalization to do in that direction.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 09:16 AM   #77
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Mkoesel, you are probably right about how Infiniti and Lexus are "better"

But I've given more serious consideration to this Kia Stinger GT than Infiniti or Lexus products (in no small part due to how much cheaper the Kia is)
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7509.50
      04-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #78
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Anyone see this? If already posted my apologies.

Looks like Kia put this thing out way under powered, with lots of room to grow from the looks of it. Wow!

<https://youtu.be/Mfk9vpRMCYQ>
      04-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #79
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Saw a yellow today in the flesh. Meh at best. Looks like a big long boat.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #80
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMack View Post
I can't see myself springing for one but I can see someone choosing one over a 340 or something similar. You're right they pack a lot of stuff into a sub $60k car. Kinda of a side note I went shopping for a new truck this weekend and I was blown away a Tacoma can set you back more than $40k.
Not only that, you can sell it for close to what you pay for it a couple years down the road.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #81
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

For what it's worth, nein, I think it's ugly, awkward and cheap looking, no offence to those who like it, but the designers are a couple of generations away from creating something that's aesthetically pleasing. I assume the internals are the same....might as well get a Yaris, Elantra or something else that is just transportation. As Clarkson once said, "if you don't get excited about going for a drive, you may as well just get the cheapest thing you can find, because at that point it's just transportation anyway." I agree, I'm really fortunate to be able to have a car like the m4 but when it's time to 'let go' I'm sure I won't be buying a Ford Fusion sport or a KIA, what's the point.... Look for me in my Lada
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #82
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

KIA hired the ex head M-division of BMW for CEO. So KIA may roll in some more new models aim at BMW or performance oriented.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #83
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

It looks good but I still feel meh about it.

Personally I feel that the Korean companies are wholly derivative of the German and Japanese luxury car makers, but only have the skill and experience to get about 60-70% of the way there. A less discerning consumer will say, oh hey, I can get a derivative of a BMW for much less cost, and they're ready to sign the contract. Maybe someday they'll get to 85-90%, and then I might be interested, but not today
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 11:42 PM   #84
Agent - ///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Comp; Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
They actually look pretty nice and the options they come with for the price is pretty amazing.

The only thing that I personally don't like is that big ass ugly Kia badge. Not b/c it's a cheap brand but b/c the badge and logo are seriously ugly.
No offense OP, but did you hit your head!?
      10-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #85
PhoenixBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 2017 X5 2014 535(sold)

Garage List
I test drove it today and it wasn't bad. MSRP is 52K but they seem doing a good discount. I thought it could be my next car while waiting for the next M3/M4. It won't be easy to move to KIA though.
Attached Images

(p) 2014 535i xdrive M sport
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #86
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDallas View Post
I test drove it today and it wasn't bad. MSRP is 52K but they seem doing a good discount. I thought it could be my next car while waiting for the next M3/M4. It won't be easy to move to KIA though.
I saw a grey one the other day, and it looked a lot the "lambo grigio" or whatever that people pay $5k+ to get on their F80. Sharp looking car

With '15 F80 prices what they are, I don't know about buying a new Kia Stinger, when you can get an F80 for high $40k all day long these days.

Why not use latest M3 while waiting for next M3 at that point
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #87
cbertels
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 YMB-SS

I saw one yesterday in a color very similar to Nardo Grey. Looked good but seemed bigger. It sure if the specs would back that up but looked much larger/longer than my F80.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #88
PhoenixBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 2017 X5 2014 535(sold)

Garage List
Quote:
I saw a grey one the other day, and it looked a lot the "lambo grigio" or whatever that people pay $5k+ to get on their F80. Sharp looking car

With '15 F80 prices what they are, I don't know about buying a new Kia Stinger, when you can get an F80 for high $40k all day long these days.

Why not use latest M3 while waiting for next M3 at that point
That's exactly what I am thinking now. If I get another M3/M4(used or least takeover), I like to get a stock F83 with MPE. I don't see my F83 in the market here(Arizona/Nevada/California). I'll eye on that as I'm sure as we approaches the year end, we'll see more. Thanks for the comment.
(p) 2014 535i xdrive M sport
Appreciate 0