Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

02-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #23
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3nari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
It's pretty easy to calculate HP based on all the data available. You can make a rough calculation just based on airflow alone. For instance a airflow of 150g/s equals roughly 150kW or 204Hp.

And then you can adjust for intake temperature, atmospheric pressure, boost pressure, fuel injected etc, etc. There has been apps for your phone that, together with an OBD plug and Bluetooth, has done the same for a few years...
I have to assume it is based on an algorithm that would only work on a stock car. Or would it still accurately give HP reading if the ECU is tuned to increase HP over stock, new intake, new exhaust or larger turbos are installed?
It would not change if you use any kind of piggyback, because the whole point with a piggyback is that you fool the DME so that it still sees the stock input signals, even though air flow is increased.

But, yes the BMW setup probably uses a algorithm that gives you the "official numbers" and possibly not the real numbers...

However if you buy an App that connects via Bluetooth to a OBD dongle you will probably get more realistic numbers...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #24
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
It's pretty easy to calculate HP based on all the data available. You can make a rough calculation just based on airflow alone. For instance a airflow of 150g/s equals roughly 150kW or 204Hp.

And then you can adjust for intake temperature, atmospheric pressure, boost pressure, fuel injected etc, etc. There has been apps for your phone that, together with an OBD plug and Bluetooth, has done the same for a few years...
Even with DI engines? I thought DI engines can run much leaner than conventional engines due to the precise control of the mixture around the igniter.

IMO, fuel flow is probably a better way to estimate the base power output; and even then, figuring out the mixture and engine efficiency would only be gross estimates. The only way to precisely measure the engine output is to measure the actual torque the engine produces.

I believe that the display is only a calculation based on a pre-established map and not on the actual engine output.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #25
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Great - another useless feature to distract drivers from looking at the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #26
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ View Post
this forum never ceases to amaze. I mean, the things that people will complain about.

You know, you don't actually have to look at it if you don't want to?

02-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #27
/// M sa
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

Quote:
Never had an issue with it in the GTR and it's actually cool a shit. Now on the track at 130 mph I don't have time to look at it except the road and keeping my balls intact :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #28
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Even with DI engines? I thought DI engines can run much leaner than conventional engines due to the precise control of the mixture around the igniter.

IMO, fuel flow is probably a better way to estimate the base power output; and even then, figuring out the mixture and engine efficiency would only be gross estimates. The only way to precisely measure the engine output is to measure the actual torque the engine produces.

I believe that the display is only a calculation based on a pre-established map and not on the actual engine output.
DI engines can run much leaner, but that is in a stratified charge scenario, not under full throttle or when the driver demands more torque from the engine (like under acceleration).

Obviously the air flow is only a rough calculation as you actually also need to know the efficiency of the internal combustion engine. But I'm pretty sure BMW knows that

I have done datalogging on BMW DI engines via the OBD port. Amazingly (or perhaps not ) a 150kW engine came up with a max airflow reading of exactly 150g/s... And if you look at TP (throttle position) at the same time you could even see that the fly by wire throttle varies it's opening (in %) to regulate air flow. Which is how (amongst other) a detuned version of a engine can be detuned these days. Like the N53 that comes in 204, 258 and 272hp Versions. It's the same basic engine, but on a 204hp version, the throttle position never goes above 40% in a WOT scenario. Under acceleration, with the accelerator just at the kick down point, the TP opens up to around 87,5% under high load and low to mid rpm, but then tapers back to 40% as revs increase to maintain a 150g/s air flow rate...

However, the BMW Sports Display might not use real life data alone.

BTW, would be interesting to do some datalogging on a F10 M5 to see if that engine has a maximum airflow that correlates to it's kW output...

Last edited by Boss330; 02-11-2014 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #29
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
Yes, they have this feature but so does the 335, so it's nothing new.
+1

Been there since at least with the introduction of the F30. It's just a 'guess' based on rpm based on software parameters obviously.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
this forum never ceases to amaze. I mean, the things that people will complain about.

^^This!

The Sport Displays aren't an intrusive feature, unlike the new rev-matching technology.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #31
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

Not about me looking at it - It's about other drivers not looking at the road, but looking at a display which is showing completely useless info while driving. What possible need could you have to see real time HP and TQ.?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #32
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Not about me looking at it - It's about other drivers not looking at the road, but looking at a display which is showing completely useless info while driving. What possible need could you have to see real time HP and TQ.?
Which begs the question, why have the iDrive screen at all? Nearly all cars have multimedia screens today. Does it matter whether someone is looking at the navigation route or the horsepower/torque display?

Regardless, BMW has been incorporating more displays into the HUD to avoid precisely the situation you are worried about.
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #33
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Which begs the question, why have the iDrive screen at all? Nearly all cars have multimedia screens today. Does it matter whether someone is looking at the navigation route or the horsepower/torque display?
Agreed. However you can always pull over if you need to program gps etc. can't really do that with real time hp/tq. In fact probably the only time most people will look at hp/tq is at WOT. Not really an ideal time to look away.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #34
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. However you can always pull over if you need to program gps etc. can't really do that with real time hp/tq. In fact probably the only time most people will look at hp/tq is at WOT. Not really an ideal time to look away.
True. Although I do concede that navigation is more useful than an estimated torque/horsepower readout. On my old F30 M Sport 335i with the M Performance Power Kit, I had the "Sport Displays" but the readout was in the Euro. configuration. I was forced to look at Newton meters of torque and make the conversion to ft-lb.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #35
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
True. Although I do concede that navigation is more useful than an estimated torque/horsepower readout. On my old F30 M Sport 335i with the M Performance Power Kit, I had the "Sport Displays" but the readout was in the Euro. configuration. I was forced to look at Newton meters of torque and make the conversion to ft-lb.
We could have coded that and fixed it for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #36
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We could have coded that and fixed it for you.
I'm out in the sticks. I think I'm the only person in my State that knows what coding is (with respect to cars anyway).

I've done some coding and I'm pretty familiar with the Benz platform but I never really got a chance to do any coding with the BMW.

I personally like the COMAND system in the Mercedes. It's basically a ripoff of iDrive. That said, the iDrive system is the best multimedia/infotainment system in existence today. I do miss the wider variety of things you can do with it.

Mercedes has a second LCD cluster in the middle of the speedometer and you can do quite a bit with it.

On the AMG menu, there are a few different screens (one is a pretty thorough lap timer; another shows what transmission/throttle program is selected and what suspension/traction control setup you have activated).

The final screen shows you both the oil and coolant temperatures. Each temperature is displayed in blue (warm-up mode) until the fluids reach safe operating temperature (at which point they turn white). Every screen shows you what gear you have selected, regardless of whether the car is in C, S, S+, or M.

This is the fluid temperature screen:

Appreciate 0