Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #89
dut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
When I put my 16 VIN in the only camera it lists for me is thr MMI? I thought it would be OEM only.
Yea, which is strange because Nelson specifically told me that OEM is the only option available and they're still working on MMI - which by his words doesn't seem to be a rush.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 01:13 PM   #90
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

im now looking into navtv now . I talked to the guy last week and he said they are working on a kit for the newer idrive.

anyone have experience with navtv ?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #91
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Not sure if they resolved the issues over the last year or so but I just order the front and rear view MMI from Bimmertech's site.

Nelson has the word "Banned" underneath his name in the previous post so unless that is a custom tag, I don't think he'll be giving us any updates in here.

I hope they will be able to deliver because I would like to have these cameras before getting a lip and/or lowering my car.

I went to Crux and NavTV's websites but didn't see for cars (or a way to find pricing or purchase what was listed).

Fingers crossed on this one. I should have ordered my '17 M3 instead of grabbing one off the lot...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:12 AM   #92
cobbyy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I ordered OEM integrated kit for my 2017 M4, got it last week. Installed on Tuesday and got it coded on Saturday. Works fine except small top portion of the screen flicks(?) when vehicle is in motion. (In camera mode only) maybe about 1/4 inch or less top portion of the screen just goes all weird. I emailed bimmer-tech about it. Will update later.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:59 AM   #93
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
Not sure if they resolved the issues over the last year or so but I just order the front and rear view MMI from Bimmertech's site.

Nelson has the word "Banned" underneath his name in the previous post so unless that is a custom tag, I don't think he'll be giving us any updates in here.

I hope they will be able to deliver because I would like to have these cameras before getting a lip and/or lowering my car.

I went to Crux and NavTV's websites but didn't see for cars (or a way to find pricing or purchase what was listed).

Fingers crossed on this one. I should have ordered my '17 M3 instead of grabbing one off the lot...
im curious on this as well since he told a member above that mmi isn't working on 2016 up yet
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #94
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal f80 View Post
Quote:

im curious on this as well since he told a member above that mmi isn't working on 2016 up yet
No luck all. They don't have a prediction on when their MMI solution will be available. All they can offer is their version of an OEM integration kit, an OEM retrofit kit, and/or OEM PDC retrofit.

I don't have PDC and I really don't like the idea of seeing a non-functional screen competing with the camera view. This also eliminates the option of a front view camera.

I'm looking into the option of doing the PDC retrofit and OEM camera retrofit (not their OEM integration kit as I might as well go full OEM if I'm already going OEM PDC). Judging from realoem parts index, the same bumpers are used and there are marks for where the sensors go. This will give me the opportunity to have PDC in front and back without those headlight washers.

Still weighing my options. I could just spend the money on a bunch of other mods instead. If only they could hurry up and get their damn MMI kit available!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #95
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No luck all. They don't have a prediction on when their MMI solution will be available. All they can offer is their version of an OEM integration kit, an OEM retrofit kit, and/or OEM PDC retrofit.

I don't have PDC and I really don't like the idea of seeing a non-functional screen competing with the camera view. This also eliminates the option of a front view camera.

I'm looking into the option of doing the PDC retrofit and OEM camera retrofit (not their OEM integration kit as I might as well go full OEM if I'm already going OEM PDC). Judging from realoem parts index, the same bumpers are used and there are marks for where the sensors go. This will give me the opportunity to have PDC in front and back without those headlight washers.

Still weighing my options. I could just spend the money on a bunch of other mods instead. If only they could hurry up and get their damn MMI kit available!
im leaning towards navtv my self .
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #96
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:

I'm here

AFAIK no other vendor has a MMI kit for 2016 and up cars. Ours is almost ready.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #97
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson@BimmerTech View Post
I'm here

Hi Nelson!

That is good to hear that you are still on the forum and that the MMI might become available for the newer models soon!

Since the MMI kit wasn't available, I was considering a full PDC and OEM camera retrofit but got cold feet because I dont know what I would be getting into. There is almost zero information out there on doing something like that.

Some of my questions I couldn't find the answer to:

- Is the car essentially pre-wired for all options like previous generations were or do I have to try to fish a bunch of wires around?

- Are the locations for the PDC sensors marked on the bumpers or will I be attempting to get it right via guesstimating measurements?

- Can the holes be cut out without causing issues to the surrounding paint?

Because of all those unknowns, I figured I should wait a little bit hoping the MMI kit would finally be release for my car. I really like the idea of a front camera since I am considering dropping my car and adding a lip!

Keep me in the loop please!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #98
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm here

how much longer for your kit nelson , eta ? I dont know the difference between mmi and oem . all I want is a rear view camera to go on when I put into reverse and able to have a front camera . navtv is real close to having something as well .
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #99
cobbyy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
how much longer for your kit nelson , eta ? I dont know the difference between mmi and oem . all I want is a rear view camera to go on when I put into reverse and able to have a front camera . navtv is real close to having something as well .
I have the OEM Integrated on my 2017 6SPD M4.
Biggest difference between the two would be the camera screen size.
MMI uses the full screen and OEM intergrated one uses how BMW would use.
I think both are capable of front view camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #100
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbyy View Post
I have the OEM Integrated on my 2017 6SPD M4.
Biggest difference between the two would be the camera screen size.
MMI uses the full screen and OEM intergrated one uses how BMW would use.
I think both are capable of front view camera.
thanks for the info . front camera will not work with oem from what I understand reading this thread .

[ waiting impatiently for mmi ]
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #101
cobbyy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the info . front camera will not work with oem from what I understand reading this thread .

According to their website..
OEM - NO front camera will not work
OEM Integration - YES it should work

I was hoping I can add the front camera to mine later when I get a lip and lowered.. it will suck if I can't.. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #102
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I was hoping I can add the front camera to mine later when I get a lip and lowered.. it will suck if I can't.. lol
ahhh okay . not sure what nelson meant by this then .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dut View Post
I contacted BimmerTech asking for rear view integration with front camera for my 2017 6MT.

This is the info I received back:

"OEM integration is the only rear view camera kit available for your car right now and it does not support front camera.

Front camera is only available with MMI kit and there's no ETA on when we will have a MMi kit for 2017 models. It might be months."

So it looks like they do have OEM integration working on 2016+ but it does not support a front camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #103
cobbyy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ahhh okay . not sure what nelson meant by this then .
lol that sucks..!
Maybe they are working on getting it all solved out..
Time will tell..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #104
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

There are 3 types of retrofits from Bimmertech:

- Full OEM (the hardware and coding as if you got a camera from the factory) - You will need the Park Distance Control module in your car for this to work. A portion of the screen will be the camera view and another portion a silhouette of your car with the sensor indicators. If you dont have the sensors installed, this part of your screen will be non-functional.

- OEM Integration (their version of the OEM capability provided but I believe the dependency on a PDC module is eliminated) - A portion of the screen will be the camera view and another portion a silhouette of your car with the sensor indicators. If you dont have the PDC module and sensors installed, this part of your screen will be non-functional.

- MMI - This version will overide the Nav screen and allow the camera view to be full screen. It is the one you need for the front view camera.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #105
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hi Nelson!

That is good to hear that you are still on the forum and that the MMI might become available for the newer models soon!

Since the MMI kit wasn't available, I was considering a full PDC and OEM camera retrofit but got cold feet because I dont know what I would be getting into. There is almost zero information out there on doing something like that.

Some of my questions I couldn't find the answer to:

- Is the car essentially pre-wired for all options like previous generations were or do I have to try to fish a bunch of wires around?

- Are the locations for the PDC sensors marked on the bumpers or will I be attempting to get it right via guesstimating measurements?

- Can the holes be cut out without causing issues to the surrounding paint?

Because of all those unknowns, I figured I should wait a little bit hoping the MMI kit would finally be release for my car. I really like the idea of a front camera since I am considering dropping my car and adding a lip!

Keep me in the loop please!
Hi

It's been done, search on f30post.

1- Is not prewired
2. Marked
3. Yes

Front camera is a must if you're going to put a lip on your F80. Trust me! My car is also lowered and also a lip. I don't think you want to know how many lips i went through when i didn't have a front camera
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #106
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Technically you can add it but you will need a multimedia interface for the front camera. https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...amera-retrofit

The MMI will also need to be installed in your glovebox. There's no space in the back of the radio to install 2 harnesses.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #107
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi

It's been done, search on f30post.

1- Is not prewired
2. Marked
3. Yes

Front camera is a must if you're going to put a lip on your F80. Trust me! My car is also lowered and also a lip. I don't think you want to know how many lips i went through when i didn't have a front camera
I believe you, I have already had two "if I had a lip this would have been bad" moments.

I found that post, doesn't look that bad and he apparently did it at a very reasonable expense...

Ultimately the most desirable capability are the front and rear camera views so I'm ok with waiting for you guys to get your MMI product out for now.

Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #108
dut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Technically you can add it but you will need a multimedia interface for the front camera. https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...amera-retrofit

The MMI will also need to be installed in your glovebox. There's no space in the back of the radio to install 2 harnesses.
So, as of right now these are the items needed for a rear camera and front camera on a 2017?

- Rear View Camera Retrofit (OEM integration) $699

- Front View Camera Retrofit $199 with Multimedia Interface (required) $399
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #109
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

hmmm looks like navtv has come out with their kit for 2017 .
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 03:10 AM   #110
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dut View Post
So, as of right now these are the items needed for a rear camera and front camera on a 2017?

- Rear View Camera Retrofit (OEM integration) $699

- Front View Camera Retrofit $199 with Multimedia Interface (required) $399
For the 2017 F8x we have the OEM integration camera kit available. The MMI kit is almost ready and is going through some final tests.
Appreciate 0