EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-19-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

CarPlay is on it's way!

"The automaker has so far supported Apple by being an official partner for its in-car infotainment system, CarPlay, which is scheduled to be revealed by next month."

Quote from:

http://www.bidnessetc.com/37313-baye...ieup-with-app/

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

Hmm... might this have to do with the F30/F80 LCI and iDrive update/upgrade... will it receive CarPlay?
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL 2.3 (256 bhp) (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Better question is will the M4 (which is not undergoing LCI yet) also get the iDrive update? I assume so, since it makes no sense to have 2 iDrive versions in the same line of car.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

This is not making the decision to get a 2015 any easier. I have good offers in hand and can order a car today.

It is so hard to be patient when the possibility of a "new shiny" is possible. The smart thing would be to wait but as I sign up for some track days this summer I would much rather be doing it in an M3 versus my S4 (which is actually surprisingly capable, despite the brakes).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I have played with carplay on a kenwood head unit. Can't say that I was impressed or that it was useful.
      03-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #6
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm hoping that a rumored use of iPhone or iWatch as a car key/remote replacement (using NFC) is part of the deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I have played with carplay on a kenwood head unit. Can't say that I was impressed or that it was useful.
When has that ever mattered to the die-hard apple fans?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
When has that ever mattered to the die-hard apple fans?
You're probably right... but for all the talk this thing got, man it sucked. And I have numerous apple devices.

None of these solutions seem to offer anything remotely as convenient as just looking at your phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
GCooperUSAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 GMC 2500HD AT4

I think this could be implemented as a software update? am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

I am definitely an Apple "fanboy" if you saw the number of Macs and iDevices I've purchased through the years. To be honest my concern with CarPlay is that Apple has a tendency to support a particular protocol or I/O cable for 1, if maybe 2 generations of its products. Software is the same. They do this to 3rd party developers all the time and with their own products.

If CarPlay were offered in 2016 it would be a 1st gen product, be supported on current iPhone 6/6 plus and iPhone 7 whenever that comes out (next year)...and then be dropped following that...so once the car is 3 years old you will be stuck with the decision of keeping your "old iPhone 6" that is compatible with CarPlay in your 2016 BMW or getting the new iPhone 8 that will only work with bluetooth and not support CarPlay in your 2016 BMW....

If I were BMW I'd be very concerned strategically about Apple pulling the support rug out from under me because that is what they do....they do it ALL the time to 3rd party developers (reminds me of SpaceBalls "We Brake for Nobody"). One thing if you need to buy a new Logitech/Bose/etc. speaker to remain compatible, different thing entirely to change out iDrive to be compatible in order to run a new version of CarPlay in your car, because BMW won't offer that.

Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Better question is will the M4 (which is not undergoing LCI yet) also get the iDrive update? I assume so, since it makes no sense to have 2 iDrive versions in the same line of car.
I think you forgot that the '08 M3's had the older non hard drive based iDrive compared to the '09 + M3... Do not be surprised if BMW does actually offer this to the 2016 models.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
I am definitely an Apple "fanboy" if you saw the number of Macs and iDevices I've purchased through the years. To be honest my concern with CarPlay is that Apple has a tendency to support a particular protocol or I/O cable for 1, if maybe 2 generations of its products. Software is the same. They do this to 3rd party developers all the time and with their own products.

If CarPlay were offered in 2016 it would be a 1st gen product, be supported on current iPhone 6/6 plus and iPhone 7 whenever that comes out (next year)...and then be dropped following that...so once the car is 3 years old you will be stuck with the decision of keeping your "old iPhone 6" that is compatible with CarPlay in your 2016 BMW or getting the new iPhone 8 that will only work with bluetooth and not support CarPlay in your 2016 BMW....

If I were BMW I'd be very concerned strategically about Apple pulling the support rug out from under me because that is what they do....they do it ALL the time to 3rd party developers (reminds me of SpaceBalls "We Brake for Nobody"). One thing if you need to buy a new Logitech/Bose/etc. speaker to remain compatible, different thing entirely to change out iDrive to be compatible in order to run a new version of CarPlay in your car, because BMW won't offer that.

Just my 2 cents...
Or we could get a late model 2015, with no carplay, no potential for integration, for a similar price. Hmm... sounds like theres no down side to being an early adopter of 2016 here.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
I think you forgot that the '08 M3's had the older non hard drive based iDrive compared to the '09 + M3... Do not be surprised if BMW does actually offer this to the 2016 models.
Sorry.. I meant that in all likelihood, we will see upgraded iDrive systems in BOTH m3 and m4, regardless of LCI.. (not tied to it) .. because LCI isnt coming for another year for M4
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Or we could get a late model 2015, with no carplay, no potential for integration, for a similar price. Hmm... sounds like theres no down side to being an early adopter of 2016 here.
Exactly! People can bitch and complain and find all kinds of faults with CarPlay but it doesn't matter because it's coming. I could try to educate some posters with some of the great advantages of having CarPlay but way to many haters out there to even attempt the suicide mission.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
OK, so what exactly is CarPlay?
Would it be a substitute to iDrive?

a
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #16
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
OK, so what exactly is CarPlay?
Would it be a substitute to iDrive?

a
CarPlay, in the sense that I saw it integrated basically worked like this-

1). You plug your phone into the car (in this case it would have to be an iphone)
2. Your phone's apps and interface is displayed on the screen.
3. You can text, use google maps and blah blah, right on the screen instead of your phone.

Here are the issues-

1) vehicle needs to have a touchscreen... unless BMW figures this out with using the idrive controller, which I would prefer but I doubt it as many apple native features require a touch interface
2) texting and all inputs would basically have to be voice activated through something like siri... you aren't going to physically almost ever type on the screen
3) you lose BMWs apps and interface
4) I just don't see how any of that is more useful / quicker than just looking down at your phone and perhaps having minimal notifications on the idrive screen. I played with it for a few minutes and then I was like OK... thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #17
vstM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Not to worry, everything can be retrofitted
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #18
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here are the issues-

1) vehicle needs to have a touchscreen... unless BMW figures this out with using the idrive controller, which I would prefer but I doubt it as many apple native features require a touch interface
2) texting and all inputs would basically have to be voice activated through something like siri... you aren't going to physically almost ever type on the screen
3) you lose BMWs apps and interface
4) I just don't see how any of that is more useful / quicker than just looking down at your phone and perhaps having minimal notifications on the idrive screen. I played with it for a few minutes and then I was like OK... thanks
1. Nope. Uses the iDrive controller and Siri
2. Yes for Siri, but you can also spell out text on top of the iDrive controller
3. Nope. CarPlay is just another iDrive menu option
4. It's a lot safer to look at your iDrive screen than to look at your phone.

We just need Waze to get approved as a CarPlay app.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
1. Nope. Uses the iDrive controller and Siri
2. Yes for Siri, but you can also spell out text on top of the iDrive controller
3. Nope. CarPlay is just another iDrive menu option
4. It's a lot safer to look at your iDrive screen than to look at your phone.

We just need Waze to get approved as a CarPlay app.
I won't say anything until i see it in person in a BMW... I think Idrive control is the right step but I have no idea how many iphone apps could be used without a touch interface efficiently (unless all apps are redesigned for carplay)... thats one of the things that makes ios special. Also, yes it is an option but like current connected drive, there would be issues with that. I am holding back feedback until I see the way BMW integrates it, but I saw 0 benefit to it on the unit that I was using.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Done, and done

Quote:
I won't say anything until i see it in person in a BMW... I think Idrive control is the right step but I have no idea how many iphone apps could be used without a touch interface efficiently (unless all apps are redesigned for carplay)... thats one of the things that makes ios special. Also, yes it is an option but like current connected drive, there would be issues with that. I am holding back feedback until I see the way BMW integrates it, but I saw 0 benefit to it on the unit that I was using.
Sorry to disappoint.. next iDrive is a touch screen, as already demo'd on the 7 series and coming this year to that platform.

So that hurdle is crossed.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #21
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCooperUSAF View Post
I think this could be implemented as a software update? am I wrong?
Good question. There was a post on another board where a guy claimed that he had discussed this with someone at BMWUSA that told him it was software retrofittable so long as he ordered Option 6NS.

Last edited by BhamDavid; 03-19-2015 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:41 PM   #22
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Done, and done

Sorry to disappoint.. next iDrive is a touch screen, as already demo'd on the 7 series and coming this year to that platform.

So that hurdle is crossed.
Are you saying the M3 idrive will have a touch screen? The IPAD is in possibly the worst position imaginable for that. Or will they do that silly handwave thing?
Appreciate 0