GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

03-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #23
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Are you saying the M3 idrive will have a touch screen? The IPAD is in possibly the worst position imaginable for that. Or will they do that silly handwave thing?
And the answers are yes and yes. Although not confirmed from the M3 and M4 for the next upgrade, but eventually it will be on all BMW's. Confirmed for the next 7.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #24
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Color me surprised. Yes, I think it's obvious that it will launch with the G11/G12. But I personally think the odds are <50% we'll see it on any MY2016 F8x cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #25
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Color me surprised. Yes, I think it's obvious that it will launch with the G11/G12. But I personally think the odds are <50% we'll see it on any MY2016 F8x cars.
I agree with your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #26
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
When has that ever mattered to the die-hard apple fans?
I am a blind faith lemming falling off the cliff apple fanboy. I have no interest whatsoever in CarPlay. If it mirrored my phones screen in landscape mode that would be great (Waze...etc.). Otherwise I have no problem getting directions, playing music, or making calls. If that's what it takes for someone to buy a car then great, realize that this is all a big marketing thing. It will be buggy....steve jobs is dead...and BMW is such a large international company that they have proven their own departments can't communicate with each other or in a consistent fashion...have them answer whether 6MT fluid needs to be changed at the break-in service...they built the car and can't answer.

I can't stand driving behind a$$holes texting or clearly looking down at phones while driving. CarPlay does the same thing but puts it on a screen that you still need to look away from the road to see. The distraction is the same, even with HUDs, there are studies. CarPlay/mobile office actually scares me because it makes texting/driving/app using/check my Facebook wall to see who's taken a gargantuan dump this morning seem OK while driving. Seen too many people dead from this sh*t. I guess we're all just different types of lemmings.

EDIT: Ok just re-read this and can ensure that I am not a bitter 86 year old man...get the car you want...dammit, just get the car.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 03-19-2015 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 04:51 PM   #27
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
Ok just re-read this and can ensure that I am not a bitter 86 year old man...get the car you want...dammit, just get the car.
Damn, I though you were going to yell at me to get off your lawn next.

BTW: I believe that Waze is going to be the killer app for CarPlay.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #28
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid View Post
BTW: I believe that Waze is going to be the killer app for CarPlay.
It just might be...now don't go trying to get me excited about it...and get off my lawn!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #29
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Are you saying the M3 idrive will have a touch screen? The IPAD is in possibly the worst position imaginable for that. Or will they do that silly handwave thing?
Ya.. except I'm not saying that.. I'm just conveying information BMW has already confirmed... according to BMW, the next gen iDrive that is coming on the 7 series will be touch screen, and if you read their writeup of their vision, will have passenger screens too, with the ability to 'swipe' information back and forth between the driver and passenger displays. BMW mentions that when the 7 series iDrive update arrives, it will be implemented across the entire BMW line. They imply that it will be at the same time, but I honestly don't know if this is true.

Anyway, I'm just not sure if this change is coming this year or next for the M3/4. It would seem very strange to change the M3 iDrive with the LCI, but keep the old iDrive with the M4 until next year. BMWs statement seems to dismiss that when they say it will roll out across the entire line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCooperUSAF View Post
I think this could be implemented as a software update? am I wrong?
Wrong. New hardware when they change to touchscreen.

Last edited by absoluteis350; 03-20-2015 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #30
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Sorry to disappoint.. next iDrive is a touch screen, as already demo'd on the 7 series and coming this year to that platform.

So that hurdle is crossed.
Not on M3/4 cars - the screen is way too far to be easily accessible for touch interface.
It's physically doable, but will require a bit of contortion.

In general, it sounds like CarPlay is nothing more than using BMW screen as external display for an iPhone. Which is interesting, but orthogonal to BMWs strategy of deeply integrating iDrive and into car (e.g.: Nav integration into HUD, steering wheel control of AV inputs, etc).

I can see how that would be a win for Apple, but what's in it for BMW ?

a
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #31
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Not on M3/4 cars - the screen is way too far to be easily accessible for touch interface.
It's physically doable, but will require a bit of contortion.

In general, it sounds like CarPlay is nothing more than using BMW screen as external display for an iPhone. Which is interesting, but orthogonal to BMWs strategy of deeply integrating iDrive and into car (e.g.: Nav integration into HUD, steering wheel control of AV inputs, etc).

I can see how that would be a win for Apple, but what's in it for BMW ?

a
No.. BMW specifically said it is coming to the entire lineup, including the 1 series.

Whether touch screen will be in the LCI is a different question, and I don't think it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #32
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Done, and done

Sorry to disappoint.. next iDrive is a touch screen, as already demo'd on the 7 series and coming this year to that platform.

So that hurdle is crossed.
No thanks...
Appreciate 0